Question for Hardcore listeners [if any]...
Oct 29, 2005 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MaGG

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the need for some new music fellas... Been into hardcore for a few years now, but haven't picked up any new bands lately, so I'll take any suggestions I can get. Here's some of the bands that have been frequenting my playlist:

Hardcore:
Every Time I Die
Poison The Well
The Chariot
Norma Jean
Atreyu [1st CD only]
Dillinger Escape Plan
FATA [not so much anymore...new CD blows]

Metal:
As I Lay Dying
Unearth
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
Pantera [kind of obligatory]

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 17
Well , you havent mentioned any of the classic bands (although Im sure you own them already)
Helmet
Deftones
Korn
System of a Down

It seems like your more into metal/hardcore; like Atreyu? check these:

1)The Bled-"Pass the Flask"
2)In Flames-"Jester Race
3)Skycamefalling-"10.21"
4)Opeth-"My Arms, Your Hearse"
5)Thrice-"The Illusion of Safety"

Im sure you have...but check Chimaira, Lamb of G-d and Unearth as well.
I can go on and on...

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 17
Some metal, hardcore, and post harcore that I like or used to like:

between the buried and me
drive like jehu
burnt by the sun
dillinger escape plan
ten yard fight
bluetip
good clean fun
kid dynamite
planes mistaken for stars
taken
pig destroyer
agoraphobic nosebleed
one last wish
slint
gorilla biscuits
7 seconds
7 angels 7 plagues
coalesce
cave in
shadows fall
american nightmare
at the gates
the haunted

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 17
Ok, one by one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Well , you havent mentioned any of the classic bands (although Im sure you own them already)
Helmet
Deftones
Korn
System of a Down

It seems like your more into metal/hardcore; like Atreyu? check these:

1)The Bled-"Pass the Flask"
2)In Flames-"Jester Race
3)Skycamefalling-"10.21"
4)Opeth-"My Arms, Your Hearse"
5)Thrice-"The Illusion of Safety"

Im sure you have...but check Chimaira, Lamb of G-d and Unearth as well.
I can go on and on...

Yes, I have plenty of Deftones, Korn, and SOAD from back in the day, although they don't frequent as much now because my tastes have gotten heavier.

Didn't like The Bled, LOVE In Flames, Opeth is great stuff too, and I have every Thrice CD in their discography. I've never heard of "Skycamefalling" though, maybe I'll check them out.

I mentioned Lamb of God and Unearth above, yes they are good. Chimaira is good, although I only have a few random tracks, I could pick up more of that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
between the buried and me
drive like jehu
burnt by the sun
dillinger escape plan
ten yard fight
bluetip
good clean fun
kid dynamite
planes mistaken for stars
taken
pig destroyer
agoraphobic nosebleed
one last wish
slint
gorilla biscuits
7 seconds
7 angels 7 plagues
coalesce
cave in
shadows fall
american nightmare
at the gates
the haunted

Wow that's quite a list there. I've been meaning to get some of "The Haunted" for quite a while, I heard the song "All Against All" and was really impressed...same with At The Gates. Shadows Fall kind of bugs me, the singing hits that nerve in the back of my head that makes my eye twitch. Dillinger Escape Plan is fantastic, I love their stuff, got the entire discography...

I posted this on my main forums and got recommended Between the Buried and Me, so I'm listening to a few tracks of theirs on PureVolume. They aren't bad, great technical skills.

I've heard of Coalesce and Cave In, but never actually heard their music, I'll have to check them out. I HAVE heard of Pig Destroyer before, a few tracks, they are pretty nutty too. The guy who showed me them, I showed Dillinger in return, and now he loves them too.

Other than that, I don't recognize any of the other band names on your list, so I'll have to get crackin
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 17
Try Walls Of Jericho - All Hail The Dead. Best hardcore I've heard in a while. I especially enjoy that they have woman vocalist which you don't hear too often in hardcore bands.

As for more melodic, catchier hardcore, I'd suggest Comeback Kid. I don't usually like all that crowd singing and breakdowns, but this band does it all so perfec that I just have to like it.
icon10.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 17
I have two tracks from Walls of Jericho on a Trustkill Records compilation... knowing that the singer is a chick helps everything fall into place, because for the life of me I couldn't put a face on a guy with a voice like that, lol.

I dug those tracks though, I'll definately have to check them out. I forgot about them, thanks for the reminder
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaGG

I've heard of Coalesce and Cave In, but never actually heard their music, I'll have to check them out. I HAVE heard of Pig Destroyer before, a few tracks, they are pretty nutty too. The guy who showed me them, I showed Dillinger in return, and now he loves them too.

Other than that, I don't recognize any of the other band names on your list, so I'll have to get crackin
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

For Cave In start with their 2nd album Until Your Heart Stops, and then their first album Beyond Hypothermia. Their sound changed a lot through their newer stuff but I still like them lots.

For 7 Angels 7 Plagues start with Jhazmyne's lullaby

2nd Skycamefalling; check out To Forever Embrace The Sun first for them.

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 17
Ion Dissonance, Arsis, PsyOpus, Reflux, and Martyr come to mind.

..will blow away most of the "hardcore" mentioned in this thread thus far.

EDIT: actually, check out anything from either the Willowtip or Relapse labels, and maybe some of the stuff that comes out of PAINcave studios.. should keep you busy for quite a while.

EDIT EDIT: you might also want to check out Textures.. it's sort of a mix between Meshuggah, Cave In, and The Haunted.

and a few more:

Capharnaum
Mnemic
Theory in Practice
Coprofago
Dysrythmia
Tandjent
Meshuggah
Gorguts
Spawn of Possession

..more metal than hardcore, and more tech-metal than metal, but it's all good.

Oct 30, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 17
Wow, surprised that none of my favorite hardcore acts haven't been named yet. Namely,

The Locust
Blood Brothers
Converge
Fall of Troy
Lightning Bolt (kinda counts)
Mindflayer (ditto)
Nihilist

enjoy!

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 17
Wow, awesome...thanks for the responses guys. Ok, one by one.

Discord: Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to pick those up in that order if I get to them.

Asmox: Ion Dissonance is pretty nutty, they remind me a lot of Dillinger. I first heard them ~1 year ago, they were band of the month on The PRP, which is a dope music news site if you haven't heard of it []www.theprp.com]. When you say Martyr, do you mean Martyr A.D.? I hope so, because I have one of thier videos, and the song is absolutely insane, I wanted to find more of them but I never could. Any info?

Infinite: The Locust is more humorous to me than anything, lol. I saw their performance at Hellfest, it cracked me up. Converge isn't too bad either, I've seen them before, I just never picked up any of their stuff. Blood Brothers had an article in the College Times a few weeks back about the whole Hardcore scene, and how they're old school hardcore, yadda yadda. From what I've been told though, they have like a rap / hip-hop influence to them. Is that true?

Beach: YEKH, I can't stand Throwdown. I'm so sick of that whole "I'm straight-edge and in your face" thing. By definition, I'm straight edge [I don't drink, do drugs, or smoke], but I don't claim it and hate people who aren't like a lot of those idiots. Alexisonfire / Underoath is kind of pop-ish to me with the singing and such, never got into them. Strangely enough, I love He Is Legend, even though they sing and what not. A7X is good too, I just forgot to mention them in the beginning of the thread. I'm looking for some Scars of Tomorrow at the moment, as well as some Bury Your Dead. I checked both of them out on PureVolume and they sounded great, so I'm looking forward to finding some of that.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys! Nice to know there's some other hardcore listeners in the forum-world
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 17
you need to get some Botch in there. outta seattle, people say norma jean ripped them off (o god, the aftermath vs anthology of dead ends). check them out.

Oct 31, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Infinite: The Locust is more humorous to me than anything, lol. I saw their performance at Hellfest, it cracked me up. Converge isn't too bad either, I've seen them before, I just never picked up any of their stuff. Blood Brothers had an article in the College Times a few weeks back about the whole Hardcore scene, and how they're old school hardcore, yadda yadda. From what I've been told though, they have like a rap / hip-hop influence to them. Is that true?

The Locust is pretty silly, I admit that. Their new EP, "Safety Second, Body Last" is some of the best stuff they've done thoutgh. If you want to check out a Converge album definitely go for "Jane Doe", it kind of tells a story and is a more cohesive album than most. And the Blood Brothers being rap/hip-hop influenced...wow, haven't gotten a laugh that good in days! Whoever told you that must've confused them with another band because the Blood Brothers are possibly the furthest from rap that you can get. "Burn Piano Island, Burn" is a good newer album by them, but all of their stuff is pretty good. I especially like how they have two singers. You'd be doing yourself a disservice not to listen to some Blood Brothers!
biggrin.gif

And if you like hardcore, you really should check out Lightning Bolt. They're basically hardcore with more of a noise-rock bent. Almost everyone I know who's into hardcore likes Lightning Bolt, and vice versa. Their two albums "Wonderful Rainbow" and "Hypermagic Mountain" are both equally good, but "Hypermagic Mountain" just came out so it's been getting a lot of plays lately.

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 17
Im not much of a fan of Throwdowns attitude either, but as long as they put out music I like, I can ignore that. Also, in your first post, you said Atreyu first CD. Have you checked out The Curse? You might like it, but judging by what you just said, it might have too much singing for you.
EDIT: Definatly check out It Dies Today, I think youll really like most of their stuff. Their CD as 1-2 songs with singing, but thats about it.

Nov 1, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Blood Brothers had an article in the College Times a few weeks back about the whole Hardcore scene, and how they're old school hardcore, yadda yadda. From what I've been told though, they have like a rap / hip-hop influence to them. Is that true?

Definately not old school lol. They dont have any rap / hip-hop influences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back