Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #106 of 458

Quote:
I downloaded "Equalizer" tonight, I couldn't wait till Friday night - testing it over the next few days. Wish me (auditory) luck!!! 
wink_face.gif

One thing I noticed is that on shuffle mode, it seems like the replaygain/soundcheck tags are working with Equalizer, unlike EQu where they don't work.
happy_face1.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #107 of 458
Expat - here's how I use equalizer ....

If you touch one of the 'spots', it is highlighted, and then the freq, =/- dB, and Q appear at the top of the screen.  If you them touch the actual freq (eg 40 Hz), you get a keyboard pop up, and you can then key in the exact freq you want the spot to apply to.

Do the same with the +/- dB once you have the freq set, and then you can very precisely set the required eq level.

With the Q, this seems to set the width of the band - so you can make it narrow or wide - at least I think this is what it does.

Using these manual inputs for each 'spot', you can very precisely set up a full eq.

I think it's one of the huge benefits of Equalizer over Equ.  The one thing I'd love to see Equalizer do (that Equ does) is to be able to set up a full eq scenario, then raise or lower the entire preset spectrum (rather than doing it manually).

Am enjoying both apps immensely though :)   Equ is 'fun' to play around with - but I find that Equalizer allows me to get the results I want quicker and more accurately.

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #108 of 458

Quote:

If you touch one of the 'spots', it is highlighted, and then the freq, =/- dB, and Q appear at the top of the screen.  If you them touch the actual freq (eg 40 Hz), you get a keyboard pop up, and you can then key in the exact freq you want the spot to apply to.

Do the same with the +/- dB once you have the freq set, and then you can very precisely set the required eq level.

With the Q, this seems to set the width of the band - so you can make it narrow or wide - at least I think this is what it does.

Using these manual inputs for each 'spot', you can very precisely set up a full eq.

I think it's one of the huge benefits of Equalizer over Equ.  The one thing I'd love to see Equalizer do (that Equ does) is to be able to set up a full eq scenario, then raise or lower the entire preset spectrum (rather than doing it manually).

Am enjoying both apps immensely though :)   Equ is 'fun' to play around with - but I find that Equalizer allows me to get the results I want quicker and more accurately.

yes...that...

Feb 17, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #109 of 458

Ooh, readin that made me sleepy, looks like i have some work and experimenting to do.

Thank you, will trial equalizer for a few days then.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #110 of 458

Quote:

Great description, Brooko.
L3000.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #111 of 458
Brooko: thanks for your explanations.
As to your question, there is a global gain (or cut in most cases). It's the volume slider that shows up (on top) when you first start up the app.

So after you have set your eq settings, just tap in the empty screen, outside the grey/blue control buttons and a slider will come up with a dB measurement. Move the slider to apply a global volume correction to prevent clipping. In earlier iterations I had a clip warning (in form of the background turning red) but I got so many complaints about it that I removed that feature. I guess if you can hear it, you adjust the post eq volume, if you can't, who cares. It is all about the audio experience.

Quote:
The one thing I'd love to see Equalizer do (that Equ does) is to be able to set up a full eq scenario, then raise or lower the entire preset spectrum (rather than doing it manually).

Please keep posting things that bug you about Equalizer as I am really encouraged by discussions like these. I made Equalizer (as you might have heard before) for my personal use and I use it every day. So most things you guys notice, I am already working on. But there are always those little things I am getting used to doing but you might not even know...

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #112 of 458
Equalizer and EQu DEVELOPERS please read!

We are extremely lucky to have access to both these apps on the iphone and to the developers on this forum. I have spent the last 2 weeks using both apps and can give some feedback on both:

Equalizer:

Pros - It seems to be a solid EQ app, in that it allows you to manipulate the exact frequency you want and then adjust the pre amp to prevent clipping etc of the sound. I also like the fact that when I use Equalizer I can run the app and then leave it in the background without noticing any slow down whatsoever on my Iphone 4 - I'm guessing this app is not as CPU heavy as Equ

Cons - The main con for me, (and this is the only reason why I would take Equ over Equalizer) is the fact the UI leaves a bit to be desired. The one area that Equalizer is fine regarding UI is in the setting of frequencies etc... When it comes to loading music from your library the experience is frustrating at best. Why should I have to create a playlist to listen to my music? Why can I not browse by Artist, Album, My own created playlists? If my example here isn't clear please take a look at how EQu has implemented the playback feature, it is a clear winner in this regard.

Equ:

Pros - The clear pro for Equ is in its UI, it is simply yet beautifully designed. I'd estimate that 95% of users could open this app and get the basics of it in a minute or two. There is scope to improve the UI, but as it stands it is pretty good.
I'm not sure if its just me but Equ seems to present a rather smooth sound which is rather different from the standard Apple iPod app and the Equalizer app. I'm not sure on the details behind this but it is a plus in my book.

Cons - One con for Equ is that although easy to setup, the equalizer is not overly precise - i.e. no fine grained frequency control, meaning that it is only so-so for tuning.
However the MAIN CONCERN for EQU is that it slows my iPhone 4 down. I have found that if I clear my recent apps before launching EQu it runs ok, although I still notice a bit of a slow down. If I were to play a game and run EQu there would be a very noticeable slow down

General points for both apps:

As some of you may know Iphone / ipod touches have a feature whereby when the screen is locked and you double-press the home button ipod controls pop up allowing you to change the volume and track without unlocking the phone. Apple makes this feature available to other apps to use - I know this because my podasting app 'Podcaster' uses it. It would be GREAT if both these apps were able to implement this. If possible it would be good to have this feature shown in the far left of the multi tasking slider panel (when you double click from your springboard screen)

This is more of a long shot, but it would be amazing if this were implementable: I wonder if its possible to save created preset EQs within the iPod EQ settings. I'm pretty certain this isn't possible without jailbreaking, as Apple would not allow access to some of their core settings etc. However if it were, please do this - it would benefit us all greatly.

Its rather ironic in that the area where one app fails seems to be the area where the other excels (i.e. performane vs UI design)

I hope this feedback has been useful, it was not my intention to put down any app but merely to highlight areas where both could be improved.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #114 of 458

Originally Posted by Audioforge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please keep posting things that bug you about Equalizer as I am really encouraged by discussions like these. I made Equalizer (as you might have heard before) for my personal use and I use it every day. So most things you guys notice, I am already working on. But there are always those little things I am getting used to doing but you might not even know...

Hi there, I've been lurking this thread ever since I discovered EQu and Equalizer and love them both. BUT after today's update I'm using Equalizer from now on. Some things I prefer over EQu are it's much more stable, uses less CPU and battery, has a seek bar, has larger album art, now has portrait mode, and has the ability to queue and edit a now playing list.

I'm loving the new play screen, thank you for updating it.... it's almost perfect. I have a few requests that if you could incorporate them I think they would make it perfect (for me at least): 

1) Any chance of moving the seek bar to under the now playing list and album art? It's quite a stretch for my thumb to reach the top, and I seek (or scrub lol) quite frequently. 

Example (sorry for my bad editing skills):

2) Also is there any chance you could list the Artist/Song/Album below the slider in the Album view? I noticed that there isn't a way to tell which album the currently playing track is on. It's kind of a requirement for me because I'm constantly downloading new free tracks from artists and can never remember what album each track is on.

Example (sorry for the uncreative crude text lol):

3) And a couple things not related to the play screen and are my most important requests.
Any chance you could give us the option for Equalizer to either load with the last played playlist or an empty one? Sometimes I like to shuffle everything and when I do, the next time I load up Equalizer it takes forever to load because I have a few thousand tracks. 

4) Is there anyway you could implement Apples alphabet browsing? Like I said I have thousands of tracks and scrolling through hundreds of artists just to play an album is very time consuming. I know it's possible because both iScrob and AMP Music Player use that feature.

I really love your app (esp now) and would very much appreciate you consider adding these requests.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #115 of 458
@Audioforge:

If Equalizer is to be like Rockbox then it needs to NOT scan your tracks on every startup. I have over 5000 tracks, and do you have any idea how long it takes for Equalizer to scan every time??? Well, I sure don't - I close the app in disgust every time,..bloody waste of my money ATM. That is a HUGE bug (or feature???)!!! I never heard how it sounds, or made any adjustments to the bands - it just friggin' scans my tracks!!! 

I HATE IT!!!

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #116 of 458
* I just downloaded the update, and just noticed the adding tracks-I was wondering why the app took so long to boot up.

*On another note I never knew there was EQ free on the app store, a free sample of the equalizer app until today.

*Also what do the icons on the playlist mean? (see pics 3 posts up) there is like a shelving with a draw out, and  two arrow bi-secting each other(between the + sign and the trash can)-thanks.

-I really want to get equalizer working well, as it does seem more precise/professional, EQu though is more friendly get up and go. maybe the app designers could hook up and combine to make a super app :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #117 of 458

Quote:
*Also what do the icons on the playlist mean? (see pics 3 posts up) there is like a shelving with a draw out, and  two arrow bi-secting each other(between the + sign and the trash can)-thanks.

The first one is to edit the list (rearrange and delete songs) and the other to shuffle the list. Really awesome features that EQu doesn't have.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #119 of 458

Quote:
I'll be checking the new Equalizer app in a few minutes and update my review of it. Lots of expectation behind this release.

tds101 is now following you on Twitter shiggy!!! That, BTW, is me,... 
L3000.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #120 of 458
Looking forward to it shigzeo. I was also wondering, do you plan on reviewing the new Ipod Touch 4?

Also, perhaps a new thread dedicated to Equalizer would be a good idea considering only EQu has one (as far as I'm aware). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back