quality AAA batteries
Aug 28, 2009 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

iriverdude

Banned
I need a few sets of AAA batteries, they're for universal remote control so I'm wondering with NIMH slowly discharging going for NICAD is better? Alkalines in the remotes last about 6 months.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 23
Six months is good. Nicads are an eternal disappointment. Buy a bulk pack of alkalines and hunker down for the long haul.

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Six months is good. Nicads are an eternal disappointment. Buy a bulk pack of alkalines and hunker down for the long haul.

Quality alkalines are pretty expensive, and cheap alkalines only lasted about a month.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Sanyo Eneloops. They have a pretty low self discharge rate (15%/year I believe) and will work better than conventional NiMH batteries.

I second the Eneloops!

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 23
If you want to use rechargeables, eneloops (and made-in-japan duracell pre-charged, which are rebrandend eneloops) are the best rechargeables.

For things like remotes I just think rechargeables is kind of silly. Check candlepowerforums.com for discharge graphs of alkaline batteries. Some of the cheap ones are not bad. I personally have stockpiled hundreds of Ikea alkaline batteries because they seem to hold up quite well even in camera flashes, and they are the cheapest alkaline batteries I've ever found.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alkalines in the remotes last about 6 months.

6 months? I usually toss Rayovac, Energizer or Duracell AAA or AA into my remotes and I usually don't have to worry about them for 2 years or more. What brand cells are you using right now?

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 23
Eneloop AAA is my usual preferred battery, though the $10/pack of 4 CTAs at 1200mAh look like a really nice deal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe he has one of those super-awesome integrated universal all in one home theater home automation magical remotes.

Really, there are some pretty crazy remotes out there.

Correct, not one of those things you buy for $30, it has a LCD screen and full screen/button backlight.

Aug 30, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 23
Aug 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 23
Jumping on the bandwagon, unless the device uses a proprietary Lithium Ion battery or it is a smoke alarm (9v), I only use Eneloops. I have no idea why they have not taken over the rechargable market yet. The slow discharge rate is enough to forget all other rechargables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back