Q701 impressions thread
Dec 16, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #8,266 of 9,602
  Just received my pair today, i love the transparent sound of AKG, although at times it can be harsh in treble (probably because of the 2k Hz spike)

The biggest problem would be comfort because:

1. Satan's bumps
2. My head is too big

I generally use headphone at their largest headband setup. Sadly, Q701's headband is still not big enough for me and i have to wear the headband a bit forward than in general. Even with that, they're still pressing against my head. Considering re-selling them because of this :frowning2:

There's a YouTube vid someone posted (and probably referenced in this thread) of how to get some extra extension on the self-adjusting headband.  It's doable, but I'd make sure you want to keep them first 
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #8,267 of 9,602
HD600 is in no way neutral for me at least :p My RE-400 i would call neutral. But overall the Q701 does sound neutral to me with a slight emphasis on being analytical, while my RE-400 is neutral & warm. It could also because of my amp.

I'm currently running it from my ibasso d-zero and while i can pretty much drive them comfortably with d-zero, i just want to get opinions whether a more powerful amp is needed

Lately I've been using a Matrix Quattro Amp to drive my Q701, I prefer the sound of the Quattro over the other amps I own (iBasso D12, FiiO X5, FiiO E12, Beresford Bushmaster Mk II) but I suspect this is because the desktop Matrix Quattro is a better sounding amp and it has nothing to do with the fact that the Quattro is more powerful.

DAC is either a FiiO X5 or Beresford Bushmaster MK II.

Just my opinion, BTW.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #8,268 of 9,602
My Q701 is about a year old, maybe a little more. I've just recently (earlier this week) learned of and performed the bass mod, and I'm very impressed with the results; the mod adds the bass punch I've been missing from these headphones.

I'm running a USB line from a Mac Mini to a DAC Destroyer, and from there to a Little Dot I+ with Voshkod 6ZH1P tubes and a MUSES02 opamp. I'm wondering if I've maxed out my current configuration. There don't seem to be many mods or upgrades left to perform. Perhaps a cable upgrade for the connection to the headphones themselves, but I can't find any decent guidance on what to look for, and the cable prices on Amazon and eBay are quite ridiculous (I'm pretty sure a $70 cable is not going to bring $70 worth of improved sound quality).

Any suggestions on how I can further maximize my Q701s? I'm starting to suspect the DAC Destroyer could stand to be upgraded.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #8,271 of 9,602
Could you elaborate, please? I have no idea what the information at the link is referring to.

There is a popular audiophile misconception that SMPS automatically = bad sound.

The truth is, they can sound quite good when properly designed into the system.

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #8,272 of 9,602

I have updated my original link to include further explanatory links.

Could you elaborate, please? I have no idea what the information at the link is referring to.

There are several steps you can take to improve the quality of the mains supply feeding audio equipment. Some people (including me) think it has a beneficial effect on SQ. It's not so crazy as it sounds.

Quote:
There is a popular audiophile misconception that SMPS automatically = bad sound.

The truth is, they can sound quite good when properly designed into the system.

"Addressing SMPSs" is one of the four steps I mention, yes, but I don't believe that SMPS automatically = bad sound and I agree they can sound quite good when properly designed. Anyway, there are usually many more SMPSs of unknown quality connected on a typical ring that have nothing to do with audio equipment, and dealing with all of them is my way (as discussed in further link).

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #8,273 of 9,602

I have updated my original link to include further explanatory links.

There are several steps you can take to improve the quality of the mains supply feeding audio equipment. Some people (including me) think it has a beneficial effect on SQ. It's not so crazy as it sounds.

"Addressing SMPSs" is one of the four steps I mention, yes, but I don't believe that SMPS automatically = bad sound and I agree they can sound quite good when properly designed. Anyway, there are usually many more SMPSs of unknown quality connected on a typical ring that have nothing to do with audio equipment, and dealing with all of them is my way (as discussed in further link).

Ahhh, now that you put it that way:
I Fully agree.

Addressing the mains supply feeding the audio should (or may, or does have the potential to) improve the sound of your audio equipment.
No, it's certainly not crazy.
It's just good engineering.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #8,274 of 9,602

Any suggestions on how I can further maximize my Q701s?

Yes, a dual entry re-cable with something good like Mogami. Why re-cable?

"1. Simpler signal path. Mini XLR  + headband + multiple internal solders and bits of cable all bypassed.

2. Better than stock cable.

3. Balanced operation.

Materials:

001 S 1.00 1.00 NC4FX 4PIN XLR CABLE . 4.57000 $4.57
002 S 1.00 1.00 NC4MX XLRM,CBL . 3.39000 $3.39
003 S 1.00 1.00 NP3C 1/4" STEREO/MALE . 4.36000 $4.36
004 S 16.00 16.00 MAR W2893 MINI QUAD MIC, BLK . 0.82000 $13.12
.00000 .00
FREIGHT CHARGES . $12.69

Total price: $38.13 The actual cable only cost 13 bucks!

Labor 3 hours, free (dressing the microphone cable is time consuming and it's been a long time since I last soldered anything. I also made an adapter cable so I can use the cans single ended if I wish). I actually had a lot of fun doing this, while listening to my speaker stereo system
biggrin.gif

Result. I was considering an upgrade to more expensive cans like Beyerdynamic T1s before I did this mod but now not so much. I am not saying that modded Q701s are as good as T1s. I never heard T1s. I am just delighted with the way the Q701s sound.

What would I say to those who say that re cabling has little or no benefit? I would say the are probably right, if they are just talking about sticking another cable into the mini XLR. I would also say that they have never heard a properly modded pair of X701 cans. I challenge anyone who has heard a stock pair of X701 cans and a pair that has been modded for dual entry, direct to driver operation to say that there is not much gain.

Would I say that this mod was worth $38 and 3 hours of work? YES!"

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #8,275 of 9,602
How much for all the tools needed to properly do this?  Not cheap, I suspect.  Quality soldering iron, alligator clipy things, dremel tool, etc...

I ask because I'd love to get into cables and such, but it's got a steep entry point.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #8,276 of 9,602
He forgot to mention he'll send you a balanced DAC and a balanced amp if you do the mod and post some pix 
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #8,277 of 9,602
  How much for all the tools needed to properly do this?  Not cheap, I suspect.  Quality soldering iron, alligator clipy things, dremel tool, etc...

I ask because I'd love to get into cables and such, but it's got a steep entry point.

Not really. A soldering iron is cheap and I have a household drill for the holes. You do need a multimeter to verify your connections but that is not expensive. The hardest part is getting started. Once you start, things just happen. There is a lot of fun and satisfaction in doing things yourself.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #8,278 of 9,602

Any suggestions on how I can further maximize my Q701s?

"1. Simpler signal path. Mini XLR  + headband + multiple internal solders and bits of cable all bypassed.

3. Balanced operation.

Materials:

.00000 .00
FREIGHT CHARGES . $12.69

Labor 3 hours, free (dressing the microphone cable is time consuming and it's been a long time since I last soldered anything. I also made an adapter cable so I can use the cans single ended if I wish). I actually had a lot of fun doing this, while listening to my speaker stereo system
biggrin.gif

Result. I was considering an upgrade to more expensive cans like Beyerdynamic T1s before I did this mod but now not so much. I am not saying that modded Q701s are as good as T1s. I never heard T1s. I am just delighted with the way the Q701s sound.

What would I say to those who say that re cabling has little or no benefit? I would say the are probably right, if they are just talking about sticking another cable into the mini XLR. I would also say that they have never heard a properly modded pair of X701 cans. I challenge anyone who has heard a stock pair of X701 cans and a pair that has been modded for dual entry, direct to driver operation to say that there is not much gain.

Nice! Thx for sharing. May have to try this on my K7xxs at some point.

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #8,279 of 9,602

3. Balanced operation.

Materials:

.00000 .00

FREIGHT CHARGES . $12.69

Labor 3 hours, free (dressing the microphone cable is time consuming and it's been a long time since I last soldered anything. I also made an adapter cable so I can use the cans single ended if I wish). I actually had a lot of fun doing this, while listening to my speaker stereo system :D

Plus the stock headphone uses the spring steel in the headphone band to get the signal from the Jack on the left side to the diaphragm on the right side.
Yes, the signal passes thru two feet of spring steel to get to the right side diaphragm!

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #8,280 of 9,602
Plus the stock headphone uses the spring steel in the headphone band to get the signal from the Jack on the left side to the diaphragm on the right side.
Yes, the signal passes thru two feet of spring steel to get to the right side diaphragm!

Is this true? Surely not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back