Q701 impressions thread
Dec 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #8,237 of 9,603
How is this supposed to be tested other than running the headphones to levels where they distort. Isnt that the point where the amp is maxxed out?

Some numbers:

90 dB SPL = 1.68 mW

100 dB SPL = 16.8 mW. This is very loud, if this was your average listening level. Distortion starts to exceed 1% at low frequencies above 100 dB SPL.

110 dB SPL = 168 mW. If your listened at an average level of 100 dB, it would be advantageous to have 10 dB or more headroom

This would probably also sound rather distorted!

120 dB SPL = 1.68 Watts, assuming you listened at an average level of 120 dB you would fry your ears and the headphones.

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #8,239 of 9,603
Based on those numbers, these cans shouldn't be distorting. maybe it is due to burn in after all. well see

It's just my opinion, but I never had any problems with distortion with my Matrix M Stage or my Matrix Quattro headphone amps.
The Schiit equipment has a fantastic reputation, but I've never tried their amps with my Q701s.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #8,240 of 9,603
Question, recently I got an HD598 and as I improve sources on the HD598's, the better it gets.
Example:
HD598's plugged into the FiiO X3, it sounds congested and boring.
Through the ODAC/O2, mids/trebles become clear and bass is tight.
Through a tube amp Dared MP5, the thing becomes the tightest bass punching headphone.

Is there a such upgrade I will hear with the AKG Q701's if I got a more expensive source?

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #8,241 of 9,603
Are you talking about for home or travel?
For home use, I like the sound straight out of my Oppo blu ray player headphone out, or my (admittedly el-cheapo) Bravo tubed headphone amp, which can drive any headphone with authority to spare.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #8,242 of 9,603
  Question, recently I got an HD598 and as I improve sources on the HD598's, the better it gets.
Example:
HD598's plugged into the FiiO X3, it sounds congested and boring.
Through the ODAC/O2, mids/trebles become clear and bass is tight.
Through a tube amp Dared MP5, the thing becomes the tightest bass punching headphone.

Is there a such upgrade I will hear with the AKG Q701's if I got a more expensive source?

Yes, the Q701 has a lot of headroom to sound better with better equipment.  The ODAC+Tube amp should be a really good pairing.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #8,243 of 9,603
Any DAC/Amp combos you guys recommend around $100 for the Q701? I'm running mine out of a Xonar DGX and it sounds glorious, but apparently it can get a lot better from here. It would be nice if I can get tubes around that price, but that might be a stretch to ask for. Thanks.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #8,244 of 9,603
  Any DAC/Amp combos you guys recommend around $100 for the Q701? I'm running mine out of a Xonar DGX and it sounds glorious, but apparently it can get a lot better from here. It would be nice if I can get tubes around that price, but that might be a stretch to ask for. Thanks.

If you already have an upgraded sound card (like not the onboard sound), no DAC at that price is going to be an improvement, not even the Modi.  I'd just spend that money on an amp.  

The cheapest tube amps I've seen recommended for the Q are the Little Dot I+ and the Schiit Vali.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #8,245 of 9,603
  If you already have an upgraded sound card (like not the onboard sound), no DAC at that price is going to be an improvement, not even the Modi.  I'd just spend that money on an amp.  

The cheapest tube amps I've seen recommended for the Q are the Little Dot I+ and the Schiit Vali.

Thanks. I was under the impression that amps don't really improve potential resolution increase but rather make the sound louder with very little added color, but if you think they would really improve speed/soundstage or what not when fed by the DGX then that makes more sense.

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #8,246 of 9,603
Amplifiers should amplify, nothing else. Some amps introduce colourations which may or may not enhance the listeners experience.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #8,247 of 9,603
  Thanks. I was under the impression that amps don't really improve potential resolution increase but rather make the sound louder with very little added color, but if you think they would really improve speed/soundstage or what not when fed by the DGX then that makes more sense.

If you want an amp with no added coloration, tube is the wrong way to go.  People like tube amps specifically because of the color they add.  In the case of the Q701, it's very complementary.

Also, my Q701 sounded noticeably better when I went from just my Sound Blaster Omni my Omni + Matrix M-stage.  Don't ask me the science behind it.  I just know that the Q sounds better when amped properly. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #8,248 of 9,603
Yeah, agreed that they would be complimentary to reduce some of the sibilant tendencies of the low treble and mid treble. I've heard only one tube amp, which was the Hifiman EF2A and it noticeably smoothed out the mids and low treble.

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #8,249 of 9,603

Generally speaking, you'll have to spend more than $100 dollars to get a real upgrade from a good quality soundcard.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #8,250 of 9,603
Hehe, just wanted to say that I'm really using my Q701's as reference headphones. I listen to all songs initially with the Q's, and if the songs pass through these; they'll sound good with all other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back