Q701 impressions thread
Jun 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,246 of 9,602
White Q701s coming friday
gs1000.gif

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #1,248 of 9,602
Loving my Q701s the small time I have had to play with them.

Is anyone else that is running of straight computer audio or mixamp having a hell of a time trying to research and pick an amp for this headphone.
I would like something that I can run the mixamp off of plus my computer. I would like it to have a slightly more laided back sound with a touch more extension in the bass region.

So far all I have come up with is:

1. Matrix Mstage: What opamp would I pair with this amp? Is the on/off driver pulsing a one off or is it happening to everyone? Does the USB version also have the analog inputs along side it. Website doesn't show the back as far as I know.

2. E9+E17/E10/E9: Which combo has the best synergy? Seems like the cheapest option to a Canadian.

3. Maverick D1: Has anyone heard anything about this with the Q701?

4. Objective2: I would order from Audio Poutine who is Canadian and does an O2 with the inputs and AC in the back of the unit. Is it to bright? Bright is the last thing I need from this headphone.

5. Little Dot 1+: Tubes would give me that warm sound but how many hours can I run this unit before it gets to hot and needs a cool down period?

6. AudioGD: NFB 5/10/12 All seem to have amazing reviews but no analog input which is a big nope for me.

7. Schiit Asgard: I have read this is an amazing pairing with Q/K series and I have read it is an awful pairing I am confused?

So you can see where I am at. I have done a way to much reading and it is all seemingly blurring together! Sometimes to much research can make you a tad insane.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,249 of 9,602
Quote:
Loving my Q701s the small time I have had to play with them.

Is anyone else that is running of straight computer audio or mixamp having a hell of a time trying to research and pick an amp for this headphone.
I would like something that I can run the mixamp off of plus my computer. I would like it to have a slightly more laided back sound with a touch more extension in the bass region.

So far all I have come up with is:

1. Matrix Mstage: What opamp would I pair with this amp? Is the on/off driver pulsing a one off or is it happening to everyone? Does the USB version also have the analog inputs along side it. Website doesn't show the back as far as I know.

2. E9+E17/E10/E9: Which combo has the best synergy? Seems like the cheapest option to a Canadian.

3. Maverick D1: Has anyone heard anything about this with the Q701?

4. Objective2: I would order from Audio Poutine who is Canadian and does an O2 with the inputs and AC in the back of the unit. Is it to bright? Bright is the last thing I need from this headphone.

5. Little Dot 1+: Tubes would give me that warm sound but how many hours can I run this unit before it gets to hot and needs a cool down period?

6. AudioGD: NFB 5/10/12 All seem to have amazing reviews but no analog input which is a big nope for me.

7. Schiit Asgard: I have read this is an amazing pairing with Q/K series and I have read it is an awful pairing I am confused?

So you can see where I am at. I have done a way to much reading and it is all seemingly blurring together! Sometimes to much research can make you a tad insane.

Yes, it's tough trying to figure out what amp to get on Head-fi, there's too many to choose from. 

1) M-stage is good solid choice.  I wouldn't worry about the op-amp rolling, but if you want maybe try LM4562.  I can't really hear a difference though.  USB version has 1 x analog RCA input, while the non-usb version has 2 x RCA inputs.  I'm pretty sure the majority of amps will give that "whump" pulse if you power it on when the phones are plugged in.  It's usually advised to keep your phones unplugged from the amp while powering it on/off.

2)  E10 + E9 is decent and cheap.  I used this to start off with.  If you go for an E9, look on the FS forum for a used one for cheap, as they're on there all the time.

3)  I looked at the Maverick D1, but It seemed somewhat mediocre after reading about it for a while so I crossed it off my list.  I've never heard it though. 

4)  The O2 amp has gotten solid reviews.  It's said to be neutral, which in my experience means it will proably sound slightly colder and drier than some of the other amps.  The E9 is a bit like this too.  I'm not a fan of it's design (plug locations and half portable/half desktop design).  I'm more interested in the ODA amp whenever that surfaces.

5)  Don't know much about tubes, but I didn't want to warm the Q701s up anymore so personally stayed away form things like the LDx and looked at solid state amps...

6)  The Audio GD's are reportedly great bang-for-buck.  I looked at Audio GDs, but I was hella confused by all the different mdoles, and none of them had analog inputs at the time.

7)  I've read mixed opinions on the Asgard.  I read some comparisons between it and the M-stage, and the M-stage seemed to always come out on top. 

If I were you, I would probably look at either the E9, O2, Lovely Cube, M-Stage, or an Audio GD. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #1,250 of 9,602
So since there are so many Q701 appreciators in here, I hope nobody minds if I'll ask for a little advice.

I've recently been looking for a headphone to complement my (closed, very dark) AIAIAI TMA-1s. The Q701 looks like a really great option, but I'm worried about being able to properly drive it, and I don't have a ton of money to invest in a DAC/amp combo right now. What I do have is a Yamaha RX-V361 receiver. My plan for now is to hook my MacBook Pro up to the receiver (possibly via a mini-toslink to toslink cable) and use the receiver's headphone output to drive the Q701. Then in the future I might invest in a desktop DAC/amp to use with my work computers. Does this seem like a viable plan? I'm really wanting to pull the trigger on either these or the Beyer DT880s soon.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,251 of 9,602
Ty so much for that post. I will see if any more opinions roll in but I will start focusing my search more in the Matrix oamp direction as far as my reading.
I will seek a few more E9 reviews as well.
It has definitely crossed some amps off my list.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #1,253 of 9,602
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,254 of 9,602
Well guys i got my Q701s today, here is my early impressions of them, the look is great, very very light, very very comfortable, the headband is not a issue for me.  Now the bad news, so far i dont care for the sound of these at all.  I am running them off my X-FI Titanium sound card, and i cant get alot of volume, and the highs are very bright and tintly, the bass is pretty good, the mids seem decent, but not great.  Im going to play with them for a few days, but it looks like these are going back.

I had the AKG 550s and those sound , at least to my ears, like 100 times better sound, but the fit isnt good, so im going to give them a chance, i may need a amp drive these.  I guess my feelings at this point are there boring, very plain sounding.

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,255 of 9,602
Quote:
Looks beautiful but it has no analog inputs and DAMN look at that price!!!!!!!!

Analog input are 3 pin for balanced cables.  Haha price can be a little steep but its worth it to me.  I can use this rather than having an amp even for the LCDs.  

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,256 of 9,602
I have been in love with my Q701's since day one. Currently only have about 150 hours on them but seem to get better and better.

I had originally picked up a Bravo (eBay) tube amp but seemed that it was lacking (don't surprise me). So recently picked up some studio monitors and decided to try out the headphone output, to my surprise it really woke the Q701's up! I have been meaning to contact Samson to see if the headphone output is powered in any way by the amp for the speakers but haven't gotten around to it. Just thought I would share if anyone was interested in some budget studio monitors that sound great and will power the Q701's.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,257 of 9,602
Quote:
Well guys i got my Q701s today, here is my early impressions of them, the look is great, very very light, very very comfortable, the headband is not a issue for me.  Now the bad news, so far i dont care for the sound of these at all.  I am running them off my X-FI Titanium sound card, and i cant get alot of volume, and the highs are very bright and tintly, the bass is pretty good, the mids seem decent, but not great.  Im going to play with them for a few days, but it looks like these are going back.

I had the AKG 550s and those sound , at least to my ears, like 100 times better sound, but the fit isnt good, so im going to give them a chance, i may need a amp drive these.  I guess my feelings at this point are there boring, very plain sounding.

Its more of a neutral sound.  If you want more color such as bass and what not the Q701 aren't what your looking for.  I only use them for video gaming and watching some movies because it sounds life like to me and I love them out of my LavryDa11, but you may need to get an amp to give them a little more boost.  

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #1,258 of 9,602
I may try a amp, but the mids seem really recessed to me, the highs seem very tiring, cant listen to them for long periods, your right this may not be the right set of cans for me, for sale section here i come.

I have never used a amp before, so i dont know what a amp can do for me, but it would have to do alot to get these to my liking.   I have had the seinhiesser 558s, the AKG K550s, and now the Q701s, i would have to say the K550s have been my favorite by a long shot.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,260 of 9,602
I know I may be dragged into the street and beaten. But I was messing around with Electri-Q in Foobar. These headphones are capable of some wonderful bass it can be very boomy if you wish I had to tone it down a tad because it started clipping pretty bad. I am still messing around and I don't really want to share my settings because they are probably horrible and different gear (Blah blah blah).

I even messed with Dolby and Channel mixer set the subwoofer channel and that worked as well.

I am set to Wasapi in Foobar.

Those with sub-optimal setups might want to goof around with that. I think they are very close to being my favorite headphone right now and may push my DT990s aside. /sniffle 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back