Q701 impressions thread
Jun 9, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #1,186 of 9,602
I have a surprise comparison coming up, and I must say... the start of the comparison...Q701 has blown me away... where I was expecting the other headphone to blow it out of the water. Like wow...

I think I may have to seriously consider the Q701 a REALLY SERIOUS ****ing headphone. The headphone I tested costs twice as much as the Q701... and so far, nothing but bass texture and speed (not even overall quantity) is better on it. So yes, consider me absolutely BAFFLED.

I've even moved the E9 to the main setup temporarily to compare against the NFB5. I must say, the E9 really does pair up damn well with the Q701. It's been awhile, but yeah. The E9 is a hell of an amp for the Q701 for a measly $100.

The E9 did not pair up well with the other headphone.

Jun 9, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #1,187 of 9,602
I have a surprise comparison coming up, and I must say... the start of the comparison...Q701 has blown me away... where I was expecting the other headphone to blow it out of the water. Like wow...
I think I may have to seriously consider the Q701 a REALLY SERIOUS ****ing headphone. The headphone I tested costs twice as much as the Q701... and so far, nothing but bass texture and speed (not even overall quantity) is better on it. So yes, consider me absolutely BAFFLED.
I've even moved the E9 to the main setup temporarily to compare against the NFB5. I must say, the E9 really does pair up damn well with the Q701. It's been awhile, but yeah. The E9 is a hell of an amp for the Q701 for a measly $100.
The E9 did not pair up well with the other headphone.

Thank you for helping to Bust The Myth of The Q701 Needs An Expensive Amp to Sound Any Good.
Like you, I have had good results with an el cheapo headphone amp and the Q701.
In my case, the lowly, low current, iBasso D12.

And welcome to the Q lovers club!:wink:

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,188 of 9,602
Quote:

That's nice to hear.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they hold their own against most of the stuff in-between them and the flagships...

Quote:
And welcome to the Q lovers club!
wink.gif

I think he's already been a "member" of the club for a while now
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,190 of 9,602
Just my quick impressions...

A little background, I owned the K701s for quite a while a few years back and I found them ok headphones that never really amazed me. Fast forward to this past Friday, I was in Winnipeg with my wife and kids visiting family and got to hear the Q701s.

Colour me impressed. The issues I had with the K701s, (poor bass impact, vocals that sounded off and treble that was a bit too much), the Q701s fixed most of them quite well. If I were looking for a headphone from the last generation of flagships (DT880/600, HD650, HD600, etc..), the Q701s would be at the top of my list.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #1,191 of 9,602
Just my quick impressions...

A little background, I owned the K701s for quite a while a few years back and I found them ok headphones that never really amazed me. Fast forward to this past Friday, I was in Winnipeg with my wife and kids visiting family and got to hear the Q701s.

Colour me impressed. The issues I had with the K701s, (poor bass impact, vocals that sounded off and treble that was a bit too much), the Q701s fixed most of them quite well. If I were looking for a headphone from the last generation of flagships (DT880/600, HD650, HD600, etc..), the Q701s would be at the top of my list.

Fantastic to hear someone with some real headphone experience back up a lot of what a lot of us say about the difference between the K701 and Q701.

:)

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #1,192 of 9,602
Any piano players here?  Q701s handle piano recordings incredibly well! 

I like to hook up my digital piano to my computer > trigger ultra high quality piano samples > convert with HRT MS II > M-stage > Q701.

It sounds DELICIOUSLY close to having a grand piano in my room.

This is what my face looks like when playing on that setup:

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #1,193 of 9,602
Quote:

I like to hook up my digital piano to my computer > trigger ultra high quality piano samples > convert with HRT MS II > M-stage > Q701.

You don't seams soo happy with a face like that 
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #1,194 of 9,602

I'll bet you're a real chick magnet, can I be your wingman?

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,197 of 9,602
Gershwin hasn't sounded so good in such a long time. The soundstage from the Q701s is really setting this recording apart!

I am discovering, however, how a good set up is mandatory to drive these phones. I now have my Onkyo cd player's pre-amp hooked up to my cmoy... Made a world of difference. Or I'm just revealing the shortfalls of my other media players, which may very well be the case.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,199 of 9,602
Yes. They are power hungry, but not as much as some people on head-fi claim (semms every headphone ever needs a power plant here :rolleyes:). They do require some decent power. I'm sure your V200 will do it more than justice.

I saw you posted on my thread, and something like the Mixamp will be fine for the purpose of gaming (without a mic). Dolby Headphone fills out the sound a bit, and masks that it may be underdriven. You'll be too busy kicking ass with these. You may need additional amping since you're attaching a mic. I have heard the modmic is pretty sensitive, so perhaps it may not need extra power.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #1,200 of 9,602
Ok Cool thanks for the heads up.  On the volume nob how high do you use it at?  
I sold my V200 and will be using my Lavry Da11 if anything for movies.  Ya, I also bought the ant lion mod mic.  Hopefully someone will pick up my pc360 at only $150.  Other than that I just wanted to make sure that the Q701 wouldn't need that much more amping than what the mix amp already offers.  Haha ya everything is power hungry on head fi....lol
Quote:
Yes. They are power hungry, but not as much as some people on head-fi claim (semms every headphone ever needs a power plant here
rolleyes.gif
). They do require some decent power. I'm sure your V200 will do it more than justice.
I saw you posted on my thread, and something like the Mixamp will be fine for the purpose of gaming (without a mic). Dolby Headphone fills out the sound a bit, and masks that it may be underdriven. You'll be too busy kicking ass with these. You may need additional amping since you're attaching a mic. I have heard the modmic is pretty sensitive, so perhaps it may not need extra power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back