Q701 impressions thread
May 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,156 of 9,602
Quote:

Without dolby headphone, the soundstage is only very wide, with very little height and depth. WITH dolby headphone it becomes very tall and very deep, as well as more precise in terms of imaging. That precision in imaging doesn't come from the headphones, but mostly from the soundcard. I cant use Dolby Headphone when listening to music, because it gives music a weird tonality and lots of echo. In games however, that echo and weird tonality is not an issue, in fact it makes things better.

And I never said HFi2400 > all. I just said Hfi2400 > Q701, and I still stand by that. Every comparison between them confirms that HFi2400 are the better headphones, not just in some aspects, but in virtually all of them. I know a lot of people will disagree on that and call me a troll (although they never even heard the HFi2400's, also, we all know how head-fi'ers feel about gear that is not popular or well known on the forums), but I don't care.

Now they also have very little height?  That's a red flag.  The Q701s have one of the tallest soundstages I've heard, regardless of whether your using any surround DSP. I think this is the first time I've seen them described as having "very little height."

I think your earlier impressions in this thread were fair and believable, where you said the Q701s soundstage was competent overall.  Since then though, it's soundstage has somehow devolved into "crap" and "garbage."

You said  HFi > Q701, DT880, DT990, H650, and HD598.  I inserted sarcasm by rounding that up to "all." 
wink.gif

I'm not saying they HFi's aren't better, as I've never heard them.  Either way, the Q701s aren't garbage, and when you come into the appreciation thread and say they are...Yes, you are trolling.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,157 of 9,602
i was tempted to pick the HFi 2400 (just because nearly every review on it said they are very cheap compared to their quality), but i've only been able to gather a handfull of reviews, and that for me just raises a red flag since audiophiles everywhere would be jumping on them if they were actually that good (described as another league when compared to likes of dt990pro, q701, hd598 etc).

About the q701s though, a couple of people have said that even though their sound stage is massive, they lack directional accuracy, im assuming that they mean this when they are just listening to music (since i dont see how dolby headphone would allow that to happen). Any thoughts on this? I was about to order myself a pair, but then i was told i would notice this immediately as they are being described as artificial. Something to do with them just mushing up all the sound together as a pose to placing them in certain angles in the sound stage array. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #1,158 of 9,602
Now they also have very little height?  That's a red flag.  The Q701s have one of the tallest soundstages I've heard, regardless of whether your using any surround DSP. I think this is the first time I've seen them described as having "very little height."

I think your earlier impressions in this thread were fair and believable, where you said the Q701s soundstage was competent overall.  Since then though, it's soundstage has somehow devolved into "crap" and "garbage."

You said  HFi > Q701, DT880, DT990, H650, and HD598.  I inserted sarcasm by rounding that up to "all."  :wink:

I'm not saying they HFi's aren't better, as I've never heard them.  Either way, the Q701s aren't garbage, and when you come into the appreciation thread and say they are...Yes, you are trolling.

or thread crapping

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #1,159 of 9,602
If the STX is on the bright/analytical side, I'd say it wouldn't be a good match for the Q701 in terms of music. The Q701 is borderline neutral to me with a very slight hint of warmth, and pairing a bright amp with them will definitely lean them towards analytical/bright. It's pretty much how I hear them with the E9 which has apparently the same amp portion as the STX. Not bad at all for games, but if you're into bass reliant music, an amp like that won't be optimal for the Q701.

Not to say it doesn't sound good. The Q701 sounds GREAT with the E9, just more analytical than I'd personally prefer. With my NFB5, it puts them on the slightly warmer side, which the Q701 benefits from.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,160 of 9,602
Quote:

Yes, you are trolling.  

Hey, hey.  We're talking about headphones you never even held in your hands. So, until you hear them,  what you say about them compared to DT880//HD598/Q701 has no relevance whatsoever.  And this is so typical of head-fi. When someone says that an "unknown" headphone is better than some popular ones, then he's trolling.

I never said Q701's sound bad. I just said their soundstage and imaging is crap for music. They have a reputation of having some of the best soundstage out there. While it is might be impressive at first, with time it becomes obvious that its not really that good. And when you compare them with headphones that truly have a great soundstage and imaging, you realize how bad it actually is.  Listening to HFi2400's and then switching to Q701 not only feels like the overall sound quality went down a level, but it feels like all the sounds are in blur, there's no clear direction of where they are coming from.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #1,161 of 9,602
Having owned all three of those, the Q701 is right in the middle for me, IMHO. Well, I slightly prefer the DT880 overall, but it DEFINITELY walks all over the HD598. For my specific purposes, I'd take the Q701 over the DT880 every single time however.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,162 of 9,602
Quote:

Hey, hey.  We're talking about headphones you never even held in your hands. So, until you hear them,  what you say about them compared to DT880//HD598/Q701 has no relevance whatsoever.  And this is so typical of head-fi. When someone says that an "unknown" headphone is better than some popular ones, then he's trolling.

No, no, no.  I haven't even said anything about the HFis.  > "I'm not saying they HFi's aren't better, as I've never heard them.  Either way, the Q701s aren't garbage, and when you come into the appreciation thread and say they are...Yes, you are trolling."

How good the Hfi is, is irrelevant to why you are trolling.  I don't have to hear the Hfi's to know that the Q701s aren't "garbage."  I don't need to hear HD800s either to know Q701s aren't garbage.  Just because HD800 has a better soundstage than most, that doesn't automatically make lesser cans garbage - it just makes the HD800 better. 

Your not trolling because you said X headphone is better than them, that has nothing to do with it.  Your trolling because your saying that a headphone that has been proven to not be garbage, is garbage (and your specifically doing so in the appreciation thread for that headphone). 

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,163 of 9,602
Quote:

Since that thread I got a new DAC and a new amp.  That lifted the HFi2400's to a new level, while Q701's stayed pretty much the same, with a little warmth added.

And if you read that thread, I said that HFi2400's beat both the HD650 and Q701 in terms of soundstage and imaging in music, they were only about equal when it comes to some special binaural recordings (which sound great even pretty much any headphone).

I even illustrated the differences like this:

HFi 2400                              HD650                                 Q701
        ((((    O    ))))                      (((        O        )))              ((             O             ))

Well, now, after spending more time with all of the headphones, and comparing them more in depth,  I'd say its more like this:

HFi 2400                              HD650                                 Q701
        ((((((((  O  )))))))                      ((((((      O      ))))))              (  ( (            O            ) )  )

Hfi2400 having a very detailed soundstage with very precise positioning, but overall slightly smaller than other two. Q701 has a very wide soundstage in comparison, but not as deep or high as Hfi2400. HFi's soundstage feels like a circle around my head, while Q701's is like a very wide ellipse, with most of the sounds coming from the sides, and with the worst imaging of the three.

Quote:
when you come into the appreciation thread and say they are...Yes, you are trolling.  

Sorry, I'm never gonna go into a headphone appreciation thread and point out negatives, now I know its considered trolling.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,164 of 9,602
Quote:
Your trolling because your saying that a headphone that has been proven to not be garbage, is garbage (and your specifically doing so in the appreciation thread for that headphone). 

Again, give me a quote of me saying that Q701's are garbage.

still waiting...

I only said their soundstage and imaging is bad, BECAUSE:  its unrealistically wide, with very little depth and height in comparison. Center image is poor, sounds that should come at you at slight angles come in from sides,  its never possible to pin point the position of various instruments (except saying..yea, that *insert instrument* is somewhere to the right), a lot of sounds come from too far away, etc.  I'll say it again,  even the 100$ Sennheiser HD438, which is a closed headphone, has a more precise and natural soundstage.

Now as for the rest of the sound, I never said Q701's are bad. I never said their lows, mids, high were garbage, I never said they sound like garbage, in fact, I said they sound great, apart from having an unrealistic/artificial/bad soundstage. A lot of headphones have a bad soundstage, but still people consider that they sound great. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #1,166 of 9,602
Quote:

still waiting...

I only said their soundstage and imaging is bad, BECAUSE:  its unrealistically wide, with very little depth and height in comparison. Center image is poor, sounds that should come at you at slight angles come in from sides,  its never possible to pin point the position of various instruments (except saying..yea, that *insert instrument* is somewhere to the right), a lot of sounds come from too far away, etc.  I'll say it again,  even the 100$ Sennheiser HD438, which is a closed headphone, has a more precise and natural soundstage.

Now as for the rest of the sound, I never said Q701's are bad. I never said their lows, mids, high were garbage, I never said they sound like garbage, in fact, I said they sound great, apart from having an unrealistic/artificial/bad soundstage. A lot of headphones have a bad soundstage, but still people consider that they sound great. 

Wow, if that was the case there is no way I'd have kept the Q701. This would be a complete fail for me. My HD-598 is much worse in this regard when it comes to picking apart where things are coming from.

If you want pinpoint accuracy, the best i've heard is on the K601 and K240 Sextett. A little bit better than the Q701.

BTW don't get a Grado if you want positional accuracy
biggrin.gif

I don't know how, but AKG somehow fixed the K702's goofy soundstage with the release of the Q701.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #1,167 of 9,602
Quote:
Hfi2400 having a very detailed soundstage with very precise positioning, but overall slightly smaller than other two. Q701 has a very wide soundstage in comparison, but not as deep or high as Hfi2400. HFi's soundstage feels like a circle around my head, while Q701's is like a very wide ellipse, with most of the sounds coming from the sides, and with the worst imaging of the three.

Sorry, I'm never gonna go into a headphone appreciation thread and point out negatives, now I know its considered trolling.

Pointing out negatives is fine.  This ^ is fine, and if you had done just that I wouldn't have used the "T" word on you.  

I think your missing the point of my posts, the last one in particular.  I've heard many headphones with inferior soundstage to Q701, but I don't call their soundstage garbage for it. 

Quote:

still waiting...

Yes, I'm well aware that your talking about soundstage/imaging, and that your fine with the rest of the headphone. I'm talking about the soundstage/imaging as well. 

Armed with this new knowledge, go read my last post again. 
cool.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,169 of 9,602
Quote:

I've heard many headphones with inferior soundstage to Q701, but I don't call their soundstage garbage for it. 

Actually, one headphone I would be willing to call garbage is the Parts Express Mini Headphones.  It's basically a $1.49 headband with two 25¢ drivers attached (total cost = $1.99).  It's funny how it has 4 star reviews on the Parts Express site though, but almost all of the reviews are for the headband itself (it's used for modding).

tongue_smile.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,170 of 9,602
Quote:

Actually, one headphone I would be willing to call garbage is the Parts Express Mini Headphones.  It's basically a $1.49 headband with two 25¢ drivers attached (total cost = $1.99).  It's funny how it has 4 star reviews on the Parts Express site though, but almost all of the reviews are for the headband itself (it's used for modding).

tongue_smile.gif

HOW DARE YOU! This headphone is not garbage and if you think this you haven't really heard it. It requires a vintage tube amp and a specific DAC. The problem with the Parts Express Mini headphone is that it has too much resonance due to the driver enclosure. You need to remove it and install the driver into the KSC75 enclosure. This requires a dremel and lots of patience. I also modded mine with hand sewn leather pads (took me 18 hours of work). Recabling them is also a nice upgrade. I used only ALO SXC wire and my own custom made sleeving. The ALO SXC seems to really expand the sounstage, but makes them a bit too analytical. I would say they're much too cold and analytical for most people.

With a couple hundred hours you can turn this thing into something that to my ears is far better than even the UR-20. Nobody has really heard it like I have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back