Q701 impressions thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #8,641 of 9,602
Just got my Q701s and E10k today. Overall, it was a substantial upgrade over my Senn PC360s. Very pleased with my purchase, and will be picking up a modmic here soon (these are mainly used for gaming). I'll have to look into replacing the headband, as I don't find it particularly comfortable. The leather band seems nice.

Would have picked up a Schiit Magni/Modi combo, but it was way out of my price range. The E10ks will suffice, and apparently they do a decent job (to which I can agree).

I also braided  my cable, and man the green braid looks NICE. Very happy with the outcome. I'm sure after the burn-in (will leave these running all day tomorrow) and the headband elastic stretches a bit, I will be even happier with my purchase. Makes me glad to know many people can't find a set of cans to upgrade to from these things.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #8,642 of 9,602
Just got my Q701s and E10k today. Overall, it was a substantial upgrade over my Senn PC360s. Very pleased with my purchase, and will be picking up a modmic here soon (these are mainly used for gaming). I'll have to look into replacing the headband, as I don't find it particularly comfortable. The leather band seems nice.

Would have picked up a Schiit Magni/Modi combo, but it was way out of my price range. The E10ks will suffice, and apparently they do a decent job (to which I can agree).

I also braided  my cable, and man the green braid looks NICE. Very happy with the outcome. I'm sure after the burn-in (will leave these running all day tomorrow) and the headband elastic stretches a bit, I will be even happier with my purchase. Makes me glad to know many people can't find a set of cans to upgrade to from these things.

Be prepare to face the headband of doom

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #8,645 of 9,602
Feb 20, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #8,647 of 9,602
Anyone know of a solid replacement band?

Not really. I've seen people cutting the bumps off. Some fill in the gaps with draught excluder tape & others (me) use a pad originally designed for baby harnesses in cars.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #8,648 of 9,602
Feb 20, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #8,649 of 9,602
Anyone know of a solid replacement band?

You can get K612's or the newer bumpless K702 headband straight from AKG but replacing it yourself can be quite difficult, with some risk of permanent damage. Instructions on how can be found if you search here on head-fi.

Another option is to cut off the bumps and replace the bottomside with a leather strip with a glue gun, but this will obviously impact the resale value... If you plan on keeping these permanently though, worth it.

I'm curious as to why Q701's still come with the bumps when even the newer K701's and K702's both now come with new bumpless bands...

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #8,651 of 9,602

Lol. Am I the only person in the world not bothered by the headband bumps?

No you're not
wink.gif

Maybe we should start a club!  Bald members get a membership discount.
beyersmile.png

Feb 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #8,653 of 9,602
Hi guys, I'm new to the thread. 

I've been lurking around and my main concern about q701 is the """"lack of bass"""".
I'm currently with a Schiit Vali and I'm returning X2 to amazon. Although it sounded very very nice, stills not the experience I'm looking for and there's the HISS on Vali that I really can't deal with.
The sub-bass is the only thing the I will really miss on that can. 

I read that Q701 + vali is a good match. > Is the hiss/noise floor missing? <.
Also that Q701 have a good bass extension, lacking of impact. 
I have a DT770/32 (standard). Its bass is... ok. There's way less bass than the X2 but everything is there. 
Will I miss the bass going to Q701? How it sounds vs DT700?
Can I certainly affirm that Q701's mids and highs are better than DT770 and X2 ?

I'm gonna try it first by its soundstage/"holographic imaging" and second by my amp, I'm not really optimist in returning it to schiit. 
It will be an open all rounder (so, good sounding in movies and games should be appreciated). DT770 is very good for almost everything but it's very neutral and doesn't have a big soundstage. 

Hope you guys can help me =)

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #8,654 of 9,602
I don't own the 770 but I can tell you that these headphones won't rock your head as much as a Sennheiser and, according to other people, the DT770. I can still get a buzz with the bass booster on my Fiio E10k. The sound stage is wonderful on the 701s.

You bring up a good point that I want to pose as well; Would I get better clarity in game (positional audio) with a better amp/dac? I feel like the 701s can do better for me.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #8,655 of 9,602
You bring up a good point that I want to pose as well; Would I get better clarity in game (positional audio) with a better amp/dac? I feel like the 701s can do better for me.

I currently have a E10K using as dac. I was messing around and find that a dac with 24/192 should deliver more (I could hear the difference), mainly in soundstage area. 
My plan is to get magni 2 uber but there are lots of options over there. I don't plan to use q701 for positional audio. I want to be immerse on the game, feel the game. 

I know that the bass isn't that strong but I'm not looking for more/the same bass. I'm looking for a different "audiophile experience"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back