Q701 impressions thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #8,626 of 9,602
Hey, I saw your amp before! That tall tube sure is neat-o! Your mods look cool too, learning DIY skills is like a cost I can't afford right now though, personally.

The little dot I+ was highly recommended as well, but I wasn't super keen on having to source matched pairs of tubes for rolling, and somebody convinced me to basically double my budget at the outlay. I have to say I've definitely enjoyed my tube amp and got a LOT of value out of it (value valves!), but the little dot I+ is attractively priced indeed.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #8,628 of 9,602
Hey, I saw your amp before! That tall tube sure is neat-o! Your mods look cool too, learning DIY skills is like a cost I can't afford right now though, personally.

The little dot I+ was highly recommended as well, but I wasn't super keen on having to source matched pairs of tubes for rolling, and somebody convinced me to basically double my budget at the outlay. I have to say I've definitely enjoyed my tube amp and got a LOT of value out of it (value valves!), but the little dot I+ is attractively priced indeed.

Get a cheap soldering iron and scrap cables/wires and practice soldering and follow some instructions how to connect/solder point A to B And you are done.I build the 6SN7,6AS7G/6080,12AU7,6DJ8 and C3g adapters(Case,wires and sockets  for less than $20CAD).Don't ignore the flea market or electronics recycling place they have plenty of Parts/Materials you can use to make a DIY project that cost next to nothing.
  No need for a matched pair of tubes for the LD 1+ you won't hear the difference that just a ripoff.If you asked any LD owner that used the Yugoslavia 6HM5 or any 6HM5 Tall Bottle they will tell you that the Yugo/Tall Bottle 6HM5 is way better than any over price  Mullard or Telefunken tubes  just to name a few.

Used OCTAL socket for the 6SN7 and 6080/6AS7G adapter $1 each,Bunch of 22AWG,18AWG stranded and solid wires FREE and the used 7 pin extender/tester $3 each.

Used LOCTAL sockets for the C3g adapter $1.50 for the pair.

Discontinued box $2

Used PSU Free from CITY recycling Yard.

Used Hard drive case Free(gut it and turned it into power module case)

Old transformer free,used as a adapter stand for the 6SN7 and 6080/6AS7G for the LD1+ and MK III.

SORRY Ladies and Gents!I know this is not a DIY forum but this is to show others who are intimidated to do DIY project because of the Cost.Using a RECYCLED materials can helped  reduced the amount of crap going into the landfill and it can saved you a lot of your hard earned CASH too.If you don't care using used materials and the ugly looks this will work for you,At my City Recycling yard they allowed me to take as much materials i want  because i showed them what i did to all the SCRAP that i took from their yard so they know that i put them to good used.So what i'am cheap :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #8,629 of 9,602
I'm still new to the audiophile life and my ~6 month old AKG Q701's could use a little clean, but I've no idea how I should go about it? It doesn't seem possible to separate the pads themselves from the little piece of mesh/fabric that covers the speakers so I imagine a machine wash would be too dangerous.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #8,630 of 9,602
  Whats a good/decent amp/dac for these headphones?
At the moment Im thinking a Schiit Magni/Modi stack?
Budget preferably £150 for both, cheaper the better though.

Well, everyone says the Vali is a great match for the Q701's.  You'd also have to pay for shipping, and whatever cables you'd need from Monoprice, too.  I think if you shop right, that should fit right inside your budget.  I'm not really sure if you could get a better DAC in the price range.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #8,631 of 9,602
  I'm still new to the audiophile life and my ~6 month old AKG Q701's could use a little clean, but I've no idea how I should go about it? It doesn't seem possible to separate the pads themselves from the little piece of mesh/fabric that covers the speakers so I imagine a machine wash would be too dangerous.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Once you've detached the pads from the cups, that's what you've got to work with.  Anything beyond that would be destructive.  As far as washing goes, by hand in warm (luke warm) water with a small amount of a mild detergent like Woolite.  Gently squeeze out as much water as you can, then press them with a dry towel to get as much as you can, and finally let them dry.  Could take 24 hours or more.

HTH.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #8,632 of 9,602

Once you've detached the pads from the cups, that's what you've got to work with.  Anything beyond that would be destructive.  As far as washing goes, by hand in warm (luke warm) water with a small amount of a mild detergent like Woolite.  Gently squeeze out as much water as you can, then press them with a dry towel to get as much as you can, and finally let them dry.  Could take 24 hours or more.

HTH.

Alright sounds good, thanks a lot :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #8,633 of 9,602
Well, everyone says the Vali is a great match for the Q701's.  You'd also have to pay for shipping, and whatever cables you'd need from Monoprice, too.  I think if you shop right, that should fit right inside your budget.  I'm not really sure if you could get a better DAC in the price range.

Yeah the vali will take up most of the budget. I don't mind buying used either, it's just waiting for one to come up. If I get the older magni/mode directly from schiit, it's $200 which is ~£125 plus vat/tax if it gets held up.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #8,634 of 9,602

Yeah the vali will take up most of the budget. I don't mind buying used either, it's just waiting for one to come up. If I get the older magni/mode directly from schiit, it's $200 which is ~£125 plus vat/tax if it gets held up.

I'm not sure what the difference between the Modi and Modi 2 is, but I think spending that little extra on the Vali will be worth it.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #8,635 of 9,602
I just read the reviews of Monoprice's $99 desktop amp/DAC.  The Q701 gets a thumbs up when paired with it.  That little box is certainly feature-packed for the price.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #8,637 of 9,602
  I just read the reviews of Monoprice's $99 desktop amp/DAC.  The Q701 gets a thumbs up when paired with it.  That little box is certainly feature-packed for the price.

Did you find any concise reviews of it?  I found one youtube video and some reddit mentions but nothing really in depth about it.  I've been curious about the Monoprice too.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #8,638 of 9,602
Did you find any concise reviews of it?  I found one youtube video and some reddit mentions but nothing really in depth about it.  I've been curious about the Monoprice too.

Didn't really look, as I was poking around Monoprice, noticed it, and read the reviews.  The last review on Page 2 really shows off what you can do with it, if you have the need.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #8,639 of 9,602
I ended up with the O2+ODAC combo(separate units).
It was this or the Magni/Modi combo but I woke up the next morning to find out the Modi had sold.
Overall spent £225 for both the Q701 and amp/dac :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #8,640 of 9,602
  I ended up with the O2+ODAC combo(separate units).
It was this or the Magni/Modi combo but I woke up the next morning to find out the Modi had sold.
Overall spent £225 for both the Q701 and amp/dac :)

I use Q701s with both the O2+ODAC (combo, not separate) and the Schiitt Lyr/Bifrost. There is a difference, but not that much, particularly for the price. I am quite happy with the  O2+ODAC and these phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back