Q701 impressions thread
Oct 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #7,996 of 9,603
Good to see this thread is still on topic.....:confused_face_2:

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #7,997 of 9,603
     I'm worried that non-audiophiles will think I'm psychotic if they see me brushing my Q701s. I'll probably get a weird reaction from them. Next thing you know, I'll end up bathing them too. *Ponders* ....I wish the Q701 was waterproof!

Edit for on-topic impression: The Q701 fits weirdly on my head..I find that I have to move the earcups far forward, almost against the backs of my ears, to get a good seal. But the soundstage gets moved forward, resulting in less of a "wrap-around" image. Does this happen to you guys?

Oh, that activity is to be done in private, just like when you're watching your pr0n 
wink.gif
  Not that you do that sort of thing.  Not a bad idea to wash your pads.  I washed my homemade jergpads and they held up fine.  Still itchy though.

Yeah, I slide them forward a bit, but mostly to keep the dust screen from touching my ears.  I read a comment from Tyll of innerfidelity.com where he mentioned someone telling him that imaging can be improved by wearing them lower and more forward than a standard fit.  He tried it, said, Yeah, maybe, but... and returned to normal usage.  YMMV.

And I'm serious about the lint brush.  Picked one up at Giant (supermarket) on a whim.  Does a great job.  And it is red.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #7,999 of 9,603
Originally Posted by ThurstonX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, that activity is to be done in private, just like when you're watching your pr0n 
wink.gif
  Not that you do that sort of thing.  Not a bad idea to wash your pads.  I washed my homemade jergpads and they held up fine.  Still itchy though.

Yeah, I slide them forward a bit, but mostly to keep the dust screen from touching my ears.  I read a comment from Tyll of innerfidelity.com where he mentioned someone telling him that imaging can be improved by wearing them lower and more forward than a standard fit.  He tried it, said, Yeah, maybe, but... and returned to normal usage.  YMMV.

And I'm serious about the lint brush.  Picked one up at Giant (supermarket) on a whim.  Does a great job.  And it is red.

You know, positioning them lower and more forward does lead to many advantages. Just think about the shape of your external acoustic meatus, AKA ears. You've gotta funnel the sound back at them. Also consider the AKG K1000, how it sits forward as well. Yeah...we're going into sound science territory here.
   All I'll say is: Forward = Easier seal, cleaner sound, better central image. Backward = Better surround image, more "immersion."

I also have some weird impressions regarding headband positioning. I find that the Q701 has really good, all around clamping force if I either put the headband far forward, or far backward, right where my skull arches downward. My head is weird!

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #8,000 of 9,603
   You know, positioning them lower and more forward does lead to many advantages. Just think about the shape of your external acoustic meatus, AKA ears. You've gotta funnel the sound back at them. Also consider the AKG K1000, how it sits forward as well. Yeah...we're going into sound science territory here.
   All I'll say is: Forward = Easier seal, cleaner sound, better central image. Backward = Better surround image, more "immersion."

I also have some weird impressions regarding headband positioning. I find that the Q701 has really good, all around clamping force if I either put the headband far forward, or far backward, right where my skull arches downward. My head is weird!

I have the same thing I'll wear them normally then I'll slide them so the band is on the back of my head more when it starts to hurt.....who seriously thought though bumps were a good idea? Rest of headband design is nice though the auto adjust.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #8,001 of 9,603
I have the same thing I'll wear them normally then I'll slide them so the band is on the back of my head more when it starts to hurt.....who seriously thought though bumps were a good idea? Rest of headband design is nice though the auto adjust.

You need this. Very worth the $10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445245520?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=560328514526&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #8,002 of 9,603
Hey guys, I just bought a pair of Q701 from Massdrop on an impulse buying moment. These will be my first audiophile headphones and so I don't actually have any amps at hand and my budget took a massive hit from the unexpected Q701 purchase.

I do have the Astro MixAmp though that I use with my A40s. The Q701 will replace the A40s when they come for sure, but will the Astro MixAmp be enough to drive this or should I look at something to help it? I do want to keep the mixamp for its dolby surround processing, so should I just get something like the Fiio e6 just to boost the volume?

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #8,003 of 9,603
The E6 won't boost the volume much, if at all, it'll just lower the output impedance, which shouldn't matter much with the Q701's. I say, just try the MixAmp when they arrive, and then decide your next move.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #8,004 of 9,603

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445245520?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=560328514526&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

+1, though I'm using it with the HE-500s.  Diggin' it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #8,005 of 9,603
  The E6 won't boost the volume much, if at all, it'll just lower the output impedance, which shouldn't matter much with the Q701's. I say, just try the MixAmp when they arrive, and then decide your next move.

Ah, thank you. Heh, I guess I was just really excited about the purchase even though it will probably come in next month haha.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #8,007 of 9,603

Looks comfy but...I just don't like the look, or idea of putting knit on a headphone.  Got to be another way, but for the meantime it'll just get used to it.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #8,008 of 9,603

Looks comfy but...I just don't like the look, or idea of putting knit on a headphone.  Got to be another way, but for the meantime it'll just get used to it.

Several solutions have been presented here before, but so far I like my own the best:

- very cheap: uses $2 window insulation tape
- totally reversible: just peel off the extra bumps
- very easy: all you need is a pair of scissors. Even a child could do it

I have been using it for over two years like that with no comfort issues at all.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #8,010 of 9,603
Did you look at the black? Looks great imo.

Hmmm... Interesting, Liu Junyuan... comfy looking, to be sure.. and perfect for winter, but I'm wondering if these wool covers are washable? Also, I'm wondering how much they might attract hair or lint? I own a very affectionate Pit Bull, and my HD650s seem to attract his shed fur, even with vacuuming.. so not sure if matching black wool cover might have same problem? Your thoughts---?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back