Q701 impressions thread
Oct 28, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #7,981 of 9,602
Digging these headphones with old 4AD releases.

What's the easiest way to replace the bass port coverings if I should ever feel the need. With that small space I feel it'd ridiculously difficult to get them back in.

I found it actually very easy to replace the stickies. If you only are opening the small circle and nothing else, yes, it's a pain. Instead, just get a small screwdriver and unscrew the larger piece on the side of the headphone. Detach it, and then you have plenty of space to reapply the sticky. I've gone back and forth many times.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #7,984 of 9,602
Nope not that one. Im a little busy now but will post back later. In the meantime if you can check out YouTube there's a really helpful video that I used to perform and reverse the mod.

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #7,985 of 9,602
Oh i can get it with the toothpick and my finger. Actually putting it on was easier than taking it back off. Did a test of one ears port open.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #7,986 of 9,602
I used one of these to remove the stickers - no idea what it is called though.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #7,987 of 9,602
Tweezers!

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #7,988 of 9,602
Yes tweezers! lol 
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #7,990 of 9,602
Originally Posted by 62ohm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used one of these to remove the stickers - no idea what it is called though.

Tweezers are the Q701's best friend! Not only can you remove padding with tweezers, but you can also pull foreign material off of the velvet earpads with them too!
    Speaking of the earpads, I think my Q701 earpads are starting to become more soft and pliable. Have your guys' earpads broken in and become more comfy, or have they stayed the same as they started?

Originally Posted by ThurstonX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard Weezer sounds incredible if you use that bizarre tool to do the mod 
wink.gif

Say it ain't so....Maybe I should try it.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #7,991 of 9,602
I heard Weezer sounds incredible if you use that bizarre tool to do the mod :wink:

Music, in general, sounds better if you use that bizarre tool to pluck out all your ear hair! :D

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #7,992 of 9,602
Music, in general, sounds better if you use that bizarre tool to pluck out all your ear hair!
biggrin.gif

LOL, I was going to mention pulling ear hair when I read "Music, in general, sounds better.."  GMTA 
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #7,994 of 9,602
     Tweezers are the Q701's best friend! Not only can you remove padding with tweezers, but you can also pull foreign material off of the velvet earpads with them too!
    Speaking of the earpads, I think my Q701 earpads are starting to become more soft and pliable. Have your guys' earpads broken in and become more comfy, or have they stayed the same as they started?

Say it ain't so....Maybe I should try it.

This is what I use:

Well, mine's rounded at the top, whereas the above will clearly truncate frequencies above 14 kHz.  Mine extends to 20 kHz.  Also works well on lint!

re: Weezer, never really listened to them.  I did use that funny li'l tool from my mini Swiss Army knife to remove the stickers, so maybe now's the time to check 'em out.  Oh!  And you can use the brush right before playing the Sweater Song, and your brain will explode into a million billion pearls of pure sonic bliss.  Surprisingly, the same effect is not achieved with Nirvana 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #7,995 of 9,602
Originally Posted by ThurstonX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I use:  

Well, mine's rounded at the top, whereas the above will clearly truncate frequencies above 14 kHz.  Mine extends to 20 kHz.  Also works well on lint!

re: Weezer, never really listened to them.  I did use that funny li'l tool from my mini Swiss Army knife to remove the stickers, so maybe now's the time to check 'em out.  Oh!  And you can use the brush right before playing the Sweater Song, and your brain will explode into a million billion pearls of pure sonic bliss.  Surprisingly, the same effect is not achieved with Nirvana 
rolleyes.gif

I'm worried that non-audiophiles will think I'm psychotic if they see me brushing my Q701s. I'll probably get a weird reaction from them. Next thing you know, I'll end up bathing them too. *Ponders* ....I wish the Q701 was waterproof!

Edit for on-topic impression: The Q701 fits weirdly on my head..I find that I have to move the earcups far forward, almost against the backs of my ears, to get a good seal. But the soundstage gets moved forward, resulting in less of a "wrap-around" image. Does this happen to you guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back