Q701 impressions thread
Mar 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #6,198 of 9,602
Mar 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #6,199 of 9,602
With that kind of budget it would be more cost effective to upgrade your headphone than your amp.

Actually, I have no desire to upgrade my phones yet. I like the sound signature & want to see how good they sound with a good amp. Plus my other hobby is recording concerts & I've run AKG mics for years. I have a pair of HD598's that I really need to return or sell. I prefer the AKG house sound & have listened to my recordings over tubes in my main system for as long as I've recorded concerts.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6,200 of 9,602
  My soundcard has dolby headphone. 

So this is with a Dolby 5.1 source?  I'm curious, as I have a few, and could try it with a foobar2000 component, if I can get it set up correctly.  Curious to hear more details about your experience when you have the time.

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #6,201 of 9,602

So this is with a Dolby 5.1 source?  I'm curious, as I have a few, and could try it with a foobar2000 component, if I can get it set up correctly.  Curious to hear more details about your experience when you have the time.

No, it's just an effect thing. Sounds like you're in a giant theatre. It's weird. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #6,202 of 9,602
So I've just got myself a FiiO X3, I'd try to plug it to my Q701 and see how the pairing perform when I get back to my home country, where my Q701 setup is. The X3 has got enough power to drive the HD800 to an ear-damaging volume, though it doesn't sound good at all. But I have a hunch that the X3 would be a good match for the Q701.

FuzzieKiwi,

I noticed in your sig that the Magni is in your wishlist, if you are planning to use it to drive the Q701, may I suggest you to rethink that plan? It's not a bad pairing, but at times can be a bit sibilant. The Vali might be a better choice (I've never heard it though). Those who have heard the pairing may be able to give a better insight.

Mar 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6,207 of 9,602
So I've just got myself a FiiO X3, I'd try to plug it to my Q701 and see how the pairing perform when I get back to my home country, where my Q701 setup is. The X3 has got enough power to drive the HD800 to an ear-damaging volume, though it doesn't sound good at all. But I have a hunch that the X3 would be a good match for the Q701.

FuzzieKiwi,

I noticed in your sig that the Magni is in your wishlist, if you are planning to use it to drive the Q701, may I suggest you to rethink that plan? It's not a bad pairing, but at times can be a bit sibilant. The Vali might be a better choice (I've never heard it though). Those who have heard the pairing may be able to give a better insight.

I haven't had time to change my signature, I will later but yes I am now going for a Vali.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #6,209 of 9,602

Not a great pairing imo.  The amp section is probably the cause, so you might need another amp to get the best out of it.

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #6,210 of 9,602
dear god q701 with dolby headphone

Eh? Where?

Games, movies. It simulates home theater surround. There are PC soundcards that do it, and a few console devices (of which I currently and greedily/stupidly have 3-4 of them). I have a guide on it in my "if I knew then..." Link in my signature, with samples.

CoD + virtual surround + Q701 = addiction & people calling you a cheater with wall-hacks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back