Q701 impressions thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #3,646 of 9,602
Preeeetty sure the Q701 stock pads are velour.

Oh sry im not very good at english :D I guess its suede im talking about then

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #3,647 of 9,602
That's ok, I'm sure your English is better than I can speak your language.
Do you perhaps mean leather or sheepskin? I think suede would get destroyed by sweat (liquid damage), but I could be wrong. Those types of fabric would close in the sound and definitely increase bass response, among other things (which may or may not be desirable).

Could you mention another headphone with the pads you're thinking about?

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #3,648 of 9,602
That's ok, I'm sure your English is better than I can speak your language.
Do you perhaps mean leather or sheepskin? I think suede would get destroyed by sweat (liquid damage), but I could be wrong. Those types of fabric would close in the sound and definitely increase bass response, among other things (which may or may not be desirable).

Could you mention another headphone with the pads you're thinking about?

Yea the Audeze lc2, wich you can get with the super suede, I think it may be some kind of fake? I just think it would maybe be nice, soundwise and comfortable. :)

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #3,649 of 9,602
Do you think the Asgard 2 has smoother treble with the Q701 than the O2?
Ok, I know some will say "it's transparent" and it's the headphones or DAC's fault, but I still think the O2 has a hint of brightness in the treble. Not much.
The treble on my Micro Amp is much smoother with the Q701.

I was listening to some crappy recordings with my Q701 last night using the O2 and wasn't enjoying it. The Magni was even worse.
I was using it thought with a docked Ipod Touch 2G though which itself is kind of bright (measures flat).

Supposed the Asgard 1/2 has smoother treble than the Magni i've read.

I don't even remember the Asgard 1 much. I just know I didn't like it with the K702 but my DAC wasn't as good back then.

No real need for another amp but I want something comparable to my Micro Amp for the Q701.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #3,650 of 9,602
Yea the Audeze lc2, wich you can get with the super suede, I think it may be some kind of fake? I just think it would maybe be nice, soundwise and comfortable. :)

Yeah, they describe it as a leather-free "super suede" microfiber fabric, so I am assuming it is a kind of synthetic (fake) of very high quality. Of course, in my mind, I think microfiber and I see those cleaning cloths for glasses and computer screens, but I also bet it would be comfortable and sonically interesting. I mean, my pillow is encased in almost-microfiber, I love laying on that for hours ^_^

TDockweiler,
Are you asking me? I don't have any of those amps or DACs. And how were you using a Magni with your iPod Touch?

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,651 of 9,602
I'll post some more impressions of the bass port mod that's posted in another thread:

No joke but this is the most impressive mod i've ever done! It's not easy to get to that port but I was surprised it didn't degrade the sound signature in any way.
It's not any more harsh, mids are not any more recessed and no extra harshness. The idea of "bass port" is definitely spot on.

I would say it's more worth doing just for the other improvements.

Here's what i've noticed within a few hours of use. Feel free to proclaim it's expectation bias or placebo. I actually expected to ruin my Q701 and have it sound like garbage.
So far it almost sounds like maybe a 25% improvement over stock. Better improvements than getting Annie pads!

Mids are much fuller sounding. It's REALLY really addicting. Almost comparable to my DJ100 and HD-650. No kidding. This is with a transparent setup too. It depends a lot on the recording.
When modding in the past I often got this weird impression how when the mids of a headphone got fuller sounding they sounded clearer. How does this happen? It seems like it would be the total opposite. No, they don't just get shoved more into my face. When I say fuller sounding it doesn't get more muffled but more clear. How? The DJ100 is another headphone that's warm sounding but has very full mids and crystal clear. The mids of the Q701 are now crystal clear and not due to reduced warmth.

Sound clarity shot through the roof for me. Some tracks sound so crystal clear.

It seems like the Q701 is now more revealing of the true quality of my tracks. Perhaps a little more detailed. "A Punch Up at the Wedding" from Radiohead sounds a little more muffled and I think this is not due to the bass but how it's supposed to be. I could listen to it on my HD-650 or any headphone with decent bass and it'd be similar. I just noticed the track is 192kps but that shouldn't matter.

I always felt the Q701 wasn't as revealing as my HD-650/DJ100. Yeah, sorry. It's like the Q701 was holding back or something. Couldn't even hear recording hiss/static etc.

Soundstage is much more improved. Imaging seems a little better. I noticed the spacing of things is a little different, but possibly more accurate now. For example it feels as if vocals that are supposed to be distant are easier to pinpoint. I noticed in one Nine Inch Nails song the vocals were very distant but it's the recording.

Harsh asian pop has NOT been really tamed or easier on the ears. There is really no change to the treble or upper mids somehow. So nothing is more forward or distant unless it's supposed to be that way in the recording. You'll probably notice this and thing something is wrong.

Very subtle and distant background details are more present it seems like.

More bass impact. You can almost feel it now. I would say it's not greatly increased in quantity, but just better overall. I would say it's now comparable to my HD-650/DJ100 in terms of quantity. No bass bleed at all! It doesn't make your Q701 a bass monster.

So far this sounds like my idea of a mix between the HD-650 and Q701. It definitely wasn't the Anniversary! This has better bass than the Annie by far. No doubt. No stupid reduced treble nonsense.

The thing I want to know is why the heck the Q701 now sounds clearer? It's 100% not due to extra treble. Can't figure out how I get fuller mids and it sounds clearer. Weird. I would say this is the biggest difference.

If you want more very low bass I don't know if this will do it. Maybe a little bit. Extension is now comparable to the HD-650 (mine has very good low bass extension)

BTW when you listen to the Q701 with the port open you wouldn't believe it's the same headphone. Why would AKG keep it closed? They should have released a headphone with it open.

Back to another thing I mentioned earlier...sometimes I would always say that it was hard to determine the true quality of some tracks on the Q701. For example, muffled tracks didn't sound too bad on the Q701 and they were much worse on the DJ100 and HD-650. I think this mod is why. It's like that port is holding back something. What? Not just bass. When you listen to some tracks with the mod you'll think they're more muffled or worse sounding but that's how they really are.

DISCLAIMER:

DON'T DO IT!

The mod requires removing a piece of tape over the bass port. You can easily pull out a wire. You really need tweezers and a small flat head screwdriver to scrape off the circle. It looks like the piece is just like plastic tape. I probably wouldn't suggest the mod if you are not comfortable soldering back a wire if you pull one out.

Then on the left side you have the mini-XLR just hanging there. Scary!

It is reversible but would be a major pain to reverse.

Mod here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod

The mod really does work and totally worth it! No bloated bass (IMO)!

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #3,652 of 9,602
Damn, that bass port mod is really tempting. Thanks for posting about your experience and results.

tdockweiler,
would you say this pic accurately represents the Q701? Also, do you have a link to a good guide for disassembling the Q701? I did watch a youtube video of a guy disassembling and repairing a K701.

Thanks  
smile.gif

EDIT:
this thread has a nice description of disassembling the Q701.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3,653 of 9,602
Lol! Tdock, you're like "Amazing, amazing, AMAZING! Btw don't do it."
Keep testing because you make me curious, but I'm not ready to try it on mine unless I end up not favoring the K712 pro and selling that new headphone, cuz I'm going to want to keep the headphone I sell as close to stock as possible. However, I will bookmark the mod!

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #3,655 of 9,602
  Damn, that bass port mod is really tempting. Thanks for posting about your experience and results.

tdockweiler,
would you say this pic accurately represents the Q701? Also, do you have a link to a good guide for disassembling the Q701? I did watch a youtube video of a guy disassembling and repairing a K701.

Thanks  
smile.gif

EDIT:
this thread has a nice description of disassembling the Q701.

That picture looks like the insides of the Q701 too. The tape is actually smaller than it appears in the photo.
I remember when I tried to remove the outer (small grill) on my K601 with tiny scissors I slipped and scraped the plastic. I found the best way to remove the outer grill is to steal/borrow one of those rectangular priority mail tags from the post office (reuse it later so you don't go to jail) and place it on the outer grill and press down and rotate counter clockwise. No sticky residue left! Plastic tape doesn't work as well but worth a try. Don't use duck tape unless you want to get your outer grill possibly all sticky.

Once the grill is removed you just need to remove two tiny screws. Then the plastic piece is held in by two tabs on the left and right. No tools really needed.

You don't need to remove the BIG screw that holds the headband in place but it helps a little. I had to without tweezers.

I'd really feel terrible is someone pulled out a bunch of wires after I suggested this mod and they didn't know how to re-solder them. You just have to be careful to not let the cups fall out of your hands.

EDIT: You could also probably use toothpicks to open the grill. One on the top and one on the bottom and rotate counter-clockwise. Not sure if this works!

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #3,656 of 9,602

That picture looks like the insides of the Q701 too. The tape is actually smaller than it appears in the photo.
I remember when I tried to remove the outer (small grill) on my K601 with tiny scissors I slipped and scraped the plastic. I found the best way to remove the outer grill is to steal/borrow one of those rectangular priority mail tags from the post office (reuse it later so you don't go to jail) and place it on the outer grill and press down and rotate counter clockwise. No sticky residue left! Plastic tape doesn't work as well but worth a try. Don't use duck tape unless you want to get your outer grill possibly all sticky.

Once the grill is removed you just need to remove two tiny screws. Then the plastic piece is held in by two tabs on the left and right. No tools really needed.

You don't need to remove the BIG screw that holds the headband in place but it helps a little. I had to without tweezers.

I'd really feel terrible is someone pulled out a bunch of wires after I suggested this mod and they didn't know how to re-solder them. You just have to be careful to not let the cups fall out of your hands.

EDIT: You could also probably use toothpicks to open the grill. One on the top and one on the bottom and rotate counter-clockwise. Not sure if this works!

Thanks for detailing it. I suppose some Isopropyl alcohol could clean off any residue.

I'm pretty sure I could re-solder the wires, in a pinch.

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #3,657 of 9,602
Using the motto of the great Derek Trotter - He who dares wins. - I went ahead and did it. To tdockweiler's cautions I will add:

After getting the grill off (I carefully used two nails that were sharp enough to get in the holes; perfect), and removing the two small screws that secure the plastic housing...

Be very careful when removing the LEFT (with the mini-XLR) plastic housing, as the mini-XLR wiring is soldered therein, thus rendering it attached to the main 'phone body. The trickiest part for me was getting the housing detached from the headband without stressing or breaking the solder joints. It's certainly doable, just be aware of it.

It's a good idea to study how the detached, but still connected, min-XLR housing "hangs" so you can minimize the strain whilst cradling it all in your lap. Yes, treat it like a baby. Not a big deal, just another thing of which you should be aware. It may be possible, or even best, to tape or otherwise secure the detached housing, but I didn't bother.

I will say that I didn't think about the right side, which is much easier to deal with. Once the two screws are removed, the plastic housing simply detaches, and it's much easier to get to and remove the funky bass port covering. By contrast, I didn't hesitate to remove the larger black screw above the bass port on the mini-XLR side. While this makes for a more delicate operation, it also allows better access to the cover you're trying to remove. At least that's how it seemed to me. If you can do it without removing that screw, it'll be easier of course, so you may want to try that way first.

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. Off to test 'em out now. I didn't really plan on A/Bing them (too impatient to dismantle them!), so I'll have to rely on memory. The 24-bit, 192 kHz version of Close To The Edge sounds pretty awesome, but then it always did 
k701smile.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #3,658 of 9,602
About that mod...
Soundstage seems larger too. For example the Nine Inch Nails song "Ringfinger".
If you listen to that song it sounds more airy with more echos. The vocals at the start sound like he's singing inside of a cave.
They're not really distant but more distant than most. Like you can pin-point the proper distance. It's how the song is supposed to be.

My amp does require more volume for songs with a bigger soundstage. Especially stuff like classical music.

Sounds more speaker like now. What's really scary is feeling as if I can hear the room the song was recorded in.
It's like some recordings sound more airy than others.

The soundstage almost reminds me of the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 now (not like an AD700!!).

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #3,659 of 9,602
About that mod...
Soundstage seems larger too. For example the Nine Inch Nails song "Ringfinger".
If you listen to that song it sounds more airy with more echos. The vocals at the start sound like he's singing inside of a cave.
They're not really distant but more distant than most. Like you can pin-point the proper distance. It's how the song is supposed to be.

My amp does require more volume for songs with a bigger soundstage. Especially stuff like classical music.

Sounds more speaker like now. What's really scary is feeling as if I can hear the room the song was recorded in.
It's like some recordings sound more airy than others.

The soundstage almost reminds me of the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000 now (not like an AD700!!).
Now u make me wanna try the mod :)
Btw, how to open up the cups? Any instructional link with pics? Thx

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #3,660 of 9,602
I recently tried this mod, and was definitely not a fan of the result. Definitely a deep low kick in the subbass region, which was a shocker for this headphone! It sounded great with any sort of a electronic music. Also, a small but noticeable increase in soundstage and transparency. But something definitely seemed off. 

I think this mod does increase subass, but slightly decreases the midbass which makes the midrange even more withdrawn, and definitely more incoherent. Definitely, YMMV, and my ears are my ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back