Prototype Pictures of New Ray Samuels Tube Amp ** Caution modem users **
Aug 14, 2003 at 11:58 AM Post #16 of 41
Real nice head amp! That Cary Audio gear in the background isn't bad either!
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #17 of 41
Extremely nice Ray!

You sure know how to hurt a guy...
wink.gif

I hope I can get a turn with it some time.

Cheers,
gb

Aug 14, 2003 at 1:40 PM Post #18 of 41
Ray,
Sort of trivial question-- will this one have an on/off switch or is it also meant to be on all the time like the HR-2? How long do you think tubes will last in this amp if always on?

Counting the days...
cool.gif

Mark

Aug 14, 2003 at 2:23 PM Post #19 of 41
Markl...
In my earlier pre-amp design I had the Filement (heater) being on all the time, So when turned on it powers the high voltage to the plate of the tube.
In this design, knowing a lot of headfiers do tube rolling & buy expensive NOS tubes they might worry having the heater on or the electric bill. So I installed a Rotary switch, the first click will turn the heater on,The second will turn the high voltage on with no pop, as music will be muted (inputs) the third click is the play
where the inputs are enabled, this way it is assured that the sequence of turning the heater before the high voltage is done first in the turning the amp on & turning the high voltage off before turning the heater off is done in the off mode.
No one can really indicate how long do the tubes live. There amps out there with their original tubes in them & working even being
more than twenty or thirty years old. & some new tubes become suddenly noisy & fail. Thats why the warrenty on tubes from the manufacturers is so short like 90 days.
Ray Samuels
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Ray Samuels, what is the price range of this tube amp?

With the quality parts and styling you can just imagine how much it is going to cost.

Looks great, Ray!

Aug 14, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 41
I'm very happy to see that someone (Ray) is building a tube headphone amp in the way of mine: big and separated power supply!!!

Congrats!
Nicola

Aug 14, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #23 of 41
I really like the look of this amp. Can wait to hear some reviews. It's great to see some new tube amps coming out. Let's see some prototypes from Headroom.

Aug 15, 2003 at 12:20 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
I really like the look of this amp. Can wait to hear some reviews. It's great to see some new tube amps coming out. Let's see some prototypes from Headroom.

Agree, tube amp look much better then SS amp

Aug 15, 2003 at 12:24 PM Post #27 of 41
nice ...

Aug 16, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 41
quote:
I have one request that I would like to make of any amp designer considering building or designing a portable amp:How about some type of "mute" button or switch? I could really,really use a feature like that.

The Emmeline II, Tube headphone amp/pre-amp, does have a mute switch, it grounds the inputs & you have a complete dead silance. So don't worry, be HAPPY. One more thing to add to those who asked about the power supply, The 300VDC output of the supply is not only rectified well but it is regulated with a speciall regulator mounted on a heat sink & it never changes with AC line going up & down.
Ray Samuels

Aug 16, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Ray Samuels
The 300VDC output of the supply is not only rectified well but it is regulated with a speciall regulator mounted on a heat sink & it never changes with AC line going up & down.
Ray Samuels

Uh, yeah, most regulators are mounted on heatsinks, and the whole point of a regulator is to keep the output voltage constant...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
With the quality parts and styling you can just imagine how much it is going to cost.

Looks great, Ray!

I often find that "imagining" isnt terribly accurate. I would be hard pressed to gauge the cost of this unit, other than in a very broad range over $1000.00. And I expect, quite a few people that are considering an upcoming amp purchase might appreciate at least some "general" price range so they can plan appropriately. If the cost will be substantially greater than the price range they can afford, they can move on and make the planned purchase of whatever amplifier they had targeted.
If the actual price is even remotely possible, they might well decide to start saving for Ray's upcoming amp and hold off on buying a previously intended amp.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back