Prog rock
Dec 17, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #47 of 4,516
I am almost 50 and have seen many "progressive" bands in concert. One band not mentioned is Be Bop Deluxe....some great guitar. I also love Gentle Giant...Playing The Fool is IMHO the best live recording done in that time, also if you can like Aquiring The Taste you will get the rest of the catalog. And finally you can't go wrong with a big beaner and anything from Pink Floyd....ah those were the days...
blink.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #48 of 4,516
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good, now that I have a feel for what you enjoy, I am ashamed to realize I forgot to mention these guys:

Beyond Twilight.

Try their albums in the following order:
Section X
For The Love Of Art And The Making

Those albums will bring tears of joy - money back guarantee.

Here are some more suggestions. Based on what you have said thus far in this thread, and the types of music you have a propensity toward, you will probably enjoy every single CD in the following list. Since it is a fairly large list, I put a star (*) next to the absolute "must-haves". This should keep you busy for a while:

* Abydos - Abydos
Aina - Days Of Rising Doom
* Altaria - Divinity
Andromeda - Pick a CD
* Angra - Aurora Consurgens, Holy Land
Aquria - Luxaeterna
Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One - Space Metal
Ark - Burn The Sun
* Artension - New Discovery or Future World
Axenstar - The Final Requiem
Aztec Jade - Concrete Eden
* Balance Of Power - Perfect Balance or Heathen Machine
Conception - Flow
Concerto Moon - Rain Forest
Dark Moor - The Gates Of Oblivion
DC Cooper - DC Cooper
* Deadsoul Tribe - The January Tree
* Dragonland - Astronomy
* Dreamtale - Beyond Reality or Ocean's Heart
Elegy - Principles Of Pain
Evil Masquerade - Third Act
Gaia Epicus - Satrap
* Galloglass - Heavenseeker
* Heavenly - Virus
House Of Lords - World Upside Down
* John Arch - A Twist Of Fate
* Kamelot - Black Halo
Labyrinth - Freeman
Last Tribe - Witch Dance
* Liquid Tension Experiment - Both CDs
* Lost Horizon - Awakening The World
* Luca Turilli - Prophet Of The Last Eclipse
Moonlight Agony - Echoes Of A Nightmare
Nightscape - Symphony Of The Night
Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife
Opus Atlantica - Opus Atlantica
* Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic Calling
* Pain Of Salvation - All of it but 'Be'
* Platitude - Nine
Pyramaze - Legend Of The Bone Carver
* Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
* Richard Andersson - The Ultimate Andersson Collection
* Royal Hunt - Paper Blood
Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor
* Shadow Gallery - Room V
Shaman - Ritual
Silent Force - Worlds Apart
* Sonata Arctica - Silence
Starbreaker - Starbreaker
* Stratovarius - Visions
* Symphony X - Start with V - The New Mythology Suite, then go with Odyssey, then get the rest of them.
* Threshold - Subsurface
* Time Requiem - The Inner Circle Of Reality
* Timeless Miracle - Into The Enchanted Chamber
TNT - Knight Of The New Thunder
Vanishing Point - Embrace The Silence
Vision Divine - Stream Of Consciosness
* Winds - The Imaginary Direction Of Time

Man I wish I had a list such as this back when I was getting into these types of music...

Good luck.

What no
1. WATCHTOWER - Control and Resistance

2. Lane / Hellborg / Sipe -Time is the Enemy ( really FUSION but ... ) fastest guitar player that ever lived

3. Anything by PLANET X / DEREK SHERINIAN

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #49 of 4,516
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are your favorite prog rock bands? Mine are Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, and Camel. Anyone have any recommendations as far as this genre goes in addition to the bands I listed?

I'm also a big progressive metal listener. Bands like Circus Maximus (they rule), Opeth, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Amorphis, Ayreon, and sometimes stuff like Canvas Solaris.

Anyone have any similar tastes or even recommendations? There's just so much stuff in the progressive rock and metal genres. There's always these side projects. I can't even count how many side projects Mike Portnoy has done. I just love long, indulgent passages and the song structures that take you on a journey.

most of the bands that you mention lean towards neo prog. i'd recommend starting with the classics eg. (actually some beatles as it can be argued that their experimentation opened the doors to the movement) king crimson, yes, genesis, jethro tull, pink floyd, emerson lake and palmer, and the fantastic and utterly original gentle giant (see my post in the gg appreciation thread (hey, ck out the thread) here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...3&postcount=61 for some more info about the band and their albums as well as a few other choice picks). also check out phil collins terrific side band, brand x - they kick *ss!! for really adventurous stuff try the very dark universe zero and their spin off band, present - bartok meets rock would be the best succinct description of their music. then there are the great italian bands - pfm, banco, le orme, and deus ex machina. of course let's not forget the dixie dregs, mahavishnu orchestra, uk. i could go on and on, but i'll leave that for another post - gotta go watch the everest show!

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #50 of 4,516
My list of must have albums:

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway/Genesis
Selling England By The Pound/Genesis
In A Glass House/Gentle Giant
Free Hand/Gentle Giant
Permanent Waves/RUSH
Moving Pictures/RUSH
2112/RUSH
Relayer/Yes
Starless And Bible Black/King Crimson
Brain Salad Surgery/ELP

Dec 23, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #52 of 4,516
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ayreon - Universal Migrator, Parts 1 and 2, as well as The Human Equation!

Arjen ROCKS OUT.

Ayreon is the best!

I would recommend Universal Migrator, Into the Electric Castle and The Final Experiment. I think that Human Equation is easily their worst album.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #53 of 4,516
Without reading the thread but Sole Remedy is awesome..

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #54 of 4,516
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind/img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ayreon - Universal Migrator, Parts 1 and 2, as well as The Human Equation!

Arjen ROCKS OUT.

Ayreon is the best!

I would recommend Universal Migrator, Into the Electric Castle and The Final Experiment. I think that Human Equation is easily their worst album.

I can't say I like Ayreon that much. But I have met Arjen once... in the supermarket.
I think he is awesome that I live in the same town as him.

But even more awesome in my opinion, is the fact that I met Ton Scherpenzeel of Kayak. He is a friend of my father, and they used to live in the same street for some time. My dad loved to see him practice his synthesizer when he was a kid.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #55 of 4,516
Youtube'd Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

That was an interesting hour:

a) Maybe not for getting high to
b) Buying it

:)

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #57 of 4,516
It's that time of year. Time to dust off my copy of THE JETHRO TULL CHRISTMAS ALBUM

It will be played day and night (only a slight exaggeration) for the next 25 days. Its more on the folk rather than prog end of there output but it is Tull all the same. All the inventiveness, musicianship and quirky eccentricity that makes classic British Progressive Rock so great.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #58 of 4,516
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have some more obscure prog metal recommendations?

Yes. Stylistic variations are a given since your OP mentioned everything from prog rock to tech/death metal. Sorry about the mini-wall of text -

Abydos, Adagio, After Forever, Agalloch, Aghora, Alarum, Alchemist, Andromeda, Arcturus, Ark, Atheist, Atrox, Beyond Twilight, Blind Guardian, Bubblemath, California Guitar Trio, Conception, Cynic, Devin Townsend, Dreamscape, Dysrhythmia, Elegy, Enslaved, Estradasphere, Evergrey, Explorer's Club, Farmakon, Frameshift, Frantic Bleep, Freak Kitchen, Green Carnation, Gordian Knot, IQ, Isis, Jon Finn Group, Katatonia, Koenjihyakkei, Kong, Liquid Tension Experiment, Madder Mortem, Magnitude Nine, Mar de Grises, Marillion, maudlin of the Well, Naamah, Novembre, Orphaned Land, Ozric Tentacles, Pagan's Mind, Pantommind, Planet X, Portal, Ram-Zet, Redemption, Sleeping People (awesome), Spastic Ink, Spiral Architect, Subterranean Masquerade, Textures, The Flower Kings, The Tangent, Tiamat, Time of Orchids, Ulver, Upsilon Acrux, Vanden Plas, Voivod...

I didn't include much of the more extreme left-field type stuff that I own, since I'm not sure exactly what your tolerances are.

edit: As for OSI - The ST is good. Skip their second.
I like and own recordings of Upsilon Acrux, Ulver, Time of Orchids,Koenjihyakkei,Gordon Knot. Primus would fit nicely in your list:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back