Prog rock
Dec 13, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #31 of 4,485
Good, now that I have a feel for what you enjoy, I am ashamed to realize I forgot to mention these guys:

Beyond Twilight.

Try their albums in the following order:
Section X
For The Love Of Art And The Making

Those albums will bring tears of joy - money back guarantee.

Here are some more suggestions. Based on what you have said thus far in this thread, and the types of music you have a propensity toward, you will probably enjoy every single CD in the following list. Since it is a fairly large list, I put a star (*) next to the absolute "must-haves". This should keep you busy for a while:

* Abydos - Abydos
Aina - Days Of Rising Doom
* Altaria - Divinity
Andromeda - Pick a CD
* Angra - Aurora Consurgens, Holy Land
Aquria - Luxaeterna
Arjen Anthony Lucassen's Star One - Space Metal
Ark - Burn The Sun
* Artension - New Discovery or Future World
Axenstar - The Final Requiem
Aztec Jade - Concrete Eden
* Balance Of Power - Perfect Balance or Heathen Machine
Conception - Flow
Concerto Moon - Rain Forest
Dark Moor - The Gates Of Oblivion
DC Cooper - DC Cooper
* Deadsoul Tribe - The January Tree
* Dragonland - Astronomy
* Dreamtale - Beyond Reality or Ocean's Heart
Elegy - Principles Of Pain
Evil Masquerade - Third Act
Gaia Epicus - Satrap
* Galloglass - Heavenseeker
* Heavenly - Virus
House Of Lords - World Upside Down
* John Arch - A Twist Of Fate
* Kamelot - Black Halo
Labyrinth - Freeman
Last Tribe - Witch Dance
* Liquid Tension Experiment - Both CDs
* Lost Horizon - Awakening The World
* Luca Turilli - Prophet Of The Last Eclipse
Moonlight Agony - Echoes Of A Nightmare
Nightscape - Symphony Of The Night
Nocturnal Rites - Afterlife
Opus Atlantica - Opus Atlantica
* Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic Calling
* Pain Of Salvation - All of it but 'Be'
* Platitude - Nine
Pyramaze - Legend Of The Bone Carver
* Redemption - The Fullness Of Time
* Richard Andersson - The Ultimate Andersson Collection
* Royal Hunt - Paper Blood
Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor
* Shadow Gallery - Room V
Shaman - Ritual
Silent Force - Worlds Apart
* Sonata Arctica - Silence
Starbreaker - Starbreaker
* Stratovarius - Visions
* Symphony X - Start with V - The New Mythology Suite, then go with Odyssey, then get the rest of them.
* Threshold - Subsurface
* Time Requiem - The Inner Circle Of Reality
* Timeless Miracle - Into The Enchanted Chamber
TNT - Knight Of The New Thunder
Vanishing Point - Embrace The Silence
Vision Divine - Stream Of Consciosness
* Winds - The Imaginary Direction Of Time

Man I wish I had a list such as this back when I was getting into these types of music...

Good luck.

Dec 13, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #32 of 4,485
thanks for that list. I was considering getting the a Beyond Twilight album.. I think I will now. I have a few albums on the list as well. good stuff
eggosmile.gif

Does anyone know any prog metal with a lot of double bass? Just curious? I love those plasticy but heavy sounding kick drums (think Pantera)

edit*
Nevermind I'm getting this beyond twilight album RIGHT now. Just what I'm looking for

Dec 13, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 4,485
Porcupine Tree, Genesis, Yes, The Pineapple Thief, Spock's Beard, King Crimson, Pure Reason Revolution, Magma.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good, now that I have a feel for what you enjoy, I am ashamed to realize I forgot to mention these guys:

Beyond Twilight.

Section X

Here are some more suggestions. Based on what you have said thus far in this thread, and the types of music you have a propensity toward, you will probably enjoy every single CD in the following list. Since it is a fairly large list, I put a star (*) next to the absolute "must-haves". This should keep you busy for a while:

* Abydos - Abydos
* Altaria - Divinity
Andromeda - Pick a CD
Aquria - Luxaeterna
Ark - Burn The Sun
Conception - Flow
DC Cooper - DC Cooper
* Dragonland - Astronomy
Gaia Epicus - Satrap
* Heavenly - Virus
* Kamelot - Black Halo
Labyrinth - Freeman
Last Tribe - Witch Dance
* Platitude - Nine
Shaman - Ritual
* Stratovarius - Visions
* Symphony X - Start with V - The New Mythology Suite, then go with Odyssey, then get the rest of them.
* Threshold - Subsurface

Man I wish I had a list such as this back when I was getting into these types of music...

Good luck.

Care to throw in a few word description for the must haves?

Deadsoul Tribe, Moonlight Agony, and Symphony X are the only albums I've heard all the way through, is most of that list prog metal? Not terrible music, but the lyrics for most of those bands are just soooo cheesy.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #34 of 4,485
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beyond Twilight.

Section X

* Abydos - Abydos
* Altaria - Divinity
Andromeda - Pick a CD
Aquria - Luxaeterna
Ark - Burn The Sun
Conception - Flow
DC Cooper - DC Cooper
* Dragonland - Astronomy
Gaia Epicus - Satrap
* Heavenly - Virus
* Kamelot - Black Halo
Labyrinth - Freeman
Last Tribe - Witch Dance
* Platitude - Nine
Shaman - Ritual
* Stratovarius - Visions
* Threshold - Subsurface

Good luck.

I don't want to flame people, but I think you need to listen them twice to distinguish between typical rock/metal and progressive. Progressive is not rock/metal with the keyboard. I'm sure Stratovious or Darkmoor are very-typical power metal/symphonic power. How progressive are Dragon Land, Sonata Arctica, DC Cooper, Kamelot,? sigh ....

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #35 of 4,485
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for that list. I was considering getting the a Beyond Twilight album.. I think I will now. I have a few albums on the list as well. good stuff
eggosmile.gif

Does anyone know any prog metal with a lot of double bass? Just curious? I love those plasticy but heavy sounding kick drums (think Pantera)

edit*
Nevermind I'm getting this beyond twilight album RIGHT now. Just what I'm looking for

Please check my (very short) list, they're the greatest stuffs I discovered :

Solaris-Book of Prophecies Nostradamus : it's an underrated album, but it's a must have album.
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Dracula Opera Rock
Riverside-Second life syndrome (a masterpiece)
Green Carnation - Light of day, day of darkness
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Devin Townsend -Terria

It's very hard to find the two first albums but they're really really great. If you like the powerful music (double bass), try Symphony X, amazing !!!

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #36 of 4,485
Quote:

I would probably agree with Sawyer. None of those bands really do anything for me. Katatonia is just depressing rock, I don't see anything progressive in it. Agalloch is folk metal, and Tiamat is just weird. Never heard of After Forever, though. I might check them out.

I truly do think that Opeth is progressive. I mean, it honestly doesn't sound anything like death metal apart from the vocals. I've never heard anything like it. And, although I can't stand Pain of salvation's album "BE" (it really is over dramatic opera crap. Lives up to it's name of piece of crap), they are unique. I like music that keeps me interested, none of that weirdo atmospheric stuff that goes nowhere (especially "post rock")... although canvas solaris is what you said, instrumental meandering, it does keep me interested for some reason.

Everybody has their own views.

What have you heard from the bands in question, I wonder? If all you've heard from Katatonia is The Great Cold Distance and all you've heard from Opeth is Blackwater Park, I can understand your conclusions.

As for Pain of Salvation and Be... that album is quite a difficult departure for them. I'm going to assume, from your crafty acronym, that you have not heard anything prior to Be. Their first three albums are wonderful and are among my favorites in modern progressive metal. I strongly urge you to give them another chance, and this time start from the beginning rather than the end.

Agalloch, IMO, is a lot more than just standard folk metal... and Tiamat being weird? What's wrong with that? Weird, unorthodox, and unconventional are all fundamental staples of progressive music
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
asmox:

Where to start with your extensive list?

Depends on what your preferences are?

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #37 of 4,485
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody has their own views.

What have you heard from the bands in question, I wonder? If all you've heard from Katatonia is The Great Cold Distance and all you've heard from Opeth is Blackwater Park, I can understand your conclusions.

As for Pain of Salvation and Be... that album is quite a difficult departure for them. I'm going to assume, from your crafty acronym, that you have not heard anything prior to Be. Their first three albums are wonderful and are among my favorites in modern progressive metal. I strongly urge you to give them another chance, and this time start from the beginning rather than the end.

Agalloch, IMO, is a lot more than just standard folk metal... and Tiamat being weird? What's wrong with that? Weird, unorthodox, and unconventional are all fundamental staples of progressive music
rs1smile.gif

Depends on what your preferences are?

I do have Entropia by Pain of Salvation. I really love that album that's why I mentioned them in my original post. I've been meaning to pick up Remedy Lane but they let me down I think after I listened to BE. I just can not get into that album for the life of me. I have never given it much of a chance, but I just know it's not my thing. And yes, the only thing I've heard by Katatonia is The Great Cold Distance.

I am a huge Opeth fan though. I love all of their stuff. Only album I don't have by them is Orchid. I don't really plan on listening to it or picking it up, either. My favs are GR and still life.

To be honest I haven't given Tiamat and Agalloch much of a listen. I have wildhoney and a few agalloch albums somewhere on my computer, and I've heard really good things about Agalloch from everywhere so I ought to give them a listen. I used to be actually really into folk metal but agalloch was like the one band I never got into. Maybe cause they aren't Scandinavian. Anyway, Jari Maenpaa with Wintersun and Ensiferum is my favorite folk metal. The new Ensiferum stuff is good too. I like all those bands like Asmegin, Cruachan, Moonsorrow, Suidakra, Korplikaani, Amon Amarth, Wintersun, Ensiferum, etc. There's a few more but I can't remember them at the moment.

Anyway, right now I'm just into keyboard driven prog. I'm starting to get into the softer side of it as well that's why I called the thread prog rock. I've always like Porcupine Tree, Camel, and Opeth, but just recently I'm getting into Neal Morse.

Here's my last.fm. None of my artists have huge play amounts because I mostly leave my playlist on shuffle.

Anyway, I just discovered Beyond Twilight (Thanks Imilhan). I'm going to buy Section X next time I go to Borders. Also, Light of Day and Day of Darkness by Green Carnation and possible an OSI or another Spock's Beard disc. I'm kinda sick of just downloading music, I like to support the artists I like. It's just too bad I have a hard time finding these types of CDs in stores, and I don't have a credit card to order anything of Amazon, and iTunes is out of the question because of their low bitrate files.

Dec 14, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #39 of 4,485
Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to flame people, but I think you need to listen them twice to distinguish between typical rock/metal and progressive. Progressive is not rock/metal with the keyboard. I'm sure Stratovious or Darkmoor are very-typical power metal/symphonic power. How progressive are Dragon Land, Sonata Arctica, DC Cooper, Kamelot,? sigh ....

I am making suggestions based upon what I feel the OP would enjoy, and it seems I have been correct so far. I did suggest some "prog" bands, but a majority of my list consists of "prog metal" (which the OP also said he liked) and or "symphonic/power metal" which contain very "proggy" elements. IMO those two genres of music often times blur the lines of distinction anyway.

I really don't like to get too deeply involved in categorizing music by genres (although I understand it is sometimes a necessary evil). I prefer to keep things simple. To me there are really only two types of music, "good music" and "bad music" (all opinion driven, of corse).

At any rate, based upon what I have gleaned from reading the OPs posts, I would wager that he/she would enjoy most (if not all) of the bands/CDs in my list. I am basing this assumption upon the fact that he and I appear to have very similar tastes in music.

For the OP: Please let me know if I am way off with my suggestions - for if that is the case, I will consider myself humbled, and no longer continue to contribute suggestions to this thread.

But hey what do I know? I can't even chew through a 3-foot rope.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #40 of 4,485
Genesis, Marillion, Yes, dreamtheater, asia (not sure if thats prog or just pop), Queen, Kings-X, kamelot, Rush, old metallica, Jethro tull, deep purple, Yngwie... pretty mainstram stuff, Alan parsons project and moody blues... are they considered prog?

I like threads like this because it expands my collection.

Dec 14, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #41 of 4,485
Quote:

I do have Entropia by Pain of Salvation. I really love that album that's why I mentioned them in my original post. I've been meaning to pick up Remedy Lane but they let me down I think after I listened to BE. I just can not get into that album for the life of me. I have never given it much of a chance, but I just know it's not my thing. And yes, the only thing I've heard by Katatonia is The Great Cold Distance.

IMO don't waste your time with Remedy Lane, I really can't bear that album. I have Entropia and The Perfect Element and TPE is the best - well worth getting hold of if you enjoy Entropia.

Also, if you like Katatonia's 'The Great Cold Distance', it's very much an extension of the previous album 'Viva Emptiness', which in turn has similarities with it's predecessor 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down'. Both highly recommended.

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #42 of 4,485
Quote:

Neal Morse, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Pain of Salvation, Riverside, and Camel. Anyone have any recommendations as far as this genre goes in addition to the bands I listed?

Gentle Giant
The Flower Kings

Dec 15, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #43 of 4,485
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO don't waste your time with Remedy Lane, I really can't bear that album. I have Entropia and The Perfect Element and TPE is the best - well worth getting hold of if you enjoy Entropia.

I would pass on Remedy Lane for now, as well. Entropia, One Hour By The Concrete Lake, and The Perfect Element I are their best albums by a mile.

You will definitely enjoy the latter two just like you did the first, I think.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #44 of 4,485
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Genesis, Marillion, Yes, dreamtheater, asia (not sure if thats prog or just pop), Queen, Kings-X, kamelot, Rush, old metallica, Jethro tull, deep purple, Yngwie... pretty mainstram stuff, Alan parsons project and moody blues... are they considered prog?

I like threads like this because it expands my collection.

Asia and Deep Purple are art rock, but I think it's a sub branch of Prog. I love these band.
Some names such as Riverside, Wolverine, Andromeda, Solaris, Michael harris, Steve Vai... are great too.

Dec 15, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #45 of 4,485
Ok, Here are a list of bands I can recommend..

Harmonium
Yes
Jethro Tull
Gentle Giant
Curved Air (Air Cut)
Mike Oldfield (Ommadawn/Amarok/Tubular Bells/Hergest Ridge/Incantations)
Genesis
Focus
Dun (Eros) Zeuhl/Avant album with some slight metal tendancies.
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Rick Wakeman
Gong
Caravan (In the Land of Grey and Pink = Essential)
Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow"
King Crimson
Return to Forver (Jazz/rock fusion)
Mahavishnu Orchestra ^
Nektar (Great psychedelic rock) (Tab in the Ocean/Remember the Future)
Supertramp's Crime of the Century
Wishbone Ash (Debut, Argus)
Van Der Graaf Generator (Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, Still Life)

Use this site for some really good reviews and guidance, here's my profile with the small amount of reviews I have up so far.

http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=11286

And some seem to have problems with the "prog" tag.. The general consensus and the one I believe in for definition purposes: Any music that displays instrumental virtuosity, technical time signatures & arrangements, Music sometimes but not always with 20+ minute suites that incorperate a "concept" and dive deep into the music, mellotron, flute, classical instruments. innovative ideas or style, generally different than most popular music, (Warning: Subjective opinion ahead: More enjoyable and immersing, much more satisfying, personal and deep (In terms of lyrical content, uniqueness..) Exploring new ideas, taking things further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back