Prog rock
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #4,352 of 4,480
Now playing

Haha, just started playing this and thought "this is a quiet one", so I turned up the volume and within seconds . . . BOOM! Luckily my hand was still close to the volume knob. Sounding good so far, will be adding to the library :darthsmile:

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #4,353 of 4,480
Something a bit refined to cleanse the palette? A little prog meets fusion from Martin Miller et Al seemed in order...

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #4,357 of 4,480
Currently listening to Time and the Tide, another of Antony Kalugin's (Karfagen) bands, this one is called Sunchild and is another great outlet for Ukraine's prog-rock musicians. As with Karfagen, Kalugin writes everything and then invites musicians to play their parts. Apparently there is even a third band belonging to him called Hoggwash but I've not heard them (yet).
I'm listening on Qobuz which has several Sunchild albums available and also on Bandcamp under the Antony Kalugin catch-all, in fact there is a special on there of all Karfagen albums (there are a LOT) and all Sunchild albums (9) for 140 euros, which is quite a bargain as the deal includes 59 releases - he's certainly prolific (he's 43).

timeandthetide.jpg

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #4,358 of 4,480
My second discovery from roon radio of the night is Magic Pie, a Swedish prog rock band that really rock. I'm listening to their album called King For A Day and it's a real doozy, three excellent vocalists, great keyboards, guitar with plenty of grunt, it's a very impressive sound. Listening on Qobuz via roon and it's available on Bandcamp should you wish to purchase. Actually there's a very decent deal where you can buy all five of their albums for 33 euros - I'm tempted.

ps. I ended up taking up the 33 euro deal :darthsmile:

kingforaday.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #4,359 of 4,480
Another roon radio find and tonight it's Presto Ballet, an American prog-rock band that's pretty much what you'd get if you put early Yes, Rush and Kansas into a blender and hit the button. Vocals are more classic rock but the music is pure, 70's prog except it's being made today. The album I'm currently listening to is called The Days Between (2018) and it's well worth a listen.

thedaysbetween.jpg

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #4,360 of 4,480
With my morning coffee…

IMG_0368.png

Apr 4, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #4,361 of 4,480
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #4,362 of 4,480
Currently listening to Time and the Tide, another of Antony Kalugin's (Karfagen) bands, this one is called Sunchild and is another great outlet for Ukraine's prog-rock musicians. As with Karfagen, Kalugin writes everything and then invites musicians to play their parts. Apparently there is even a third band belonging to him called Hoggwash but I've not heard them (yet).
I'm listening on Qobuz which has several Sunchild albums available and also on Bandcamp under the Antony Kalugin catch-all, in fact there is a special on there of all Karfagen albums (there are a LOT) and all Sunchild albums (9) for 140 euros, which is quite a bargain as the deal includes 59 releases - he's certainly prolific (he's 43).

timeandthetide.jpg
I’m just getting to this tonight after reading your post- thanks for that as I wasn’t aware of the Sun Child effort. The more I read about this guy the more amazed I am, such talent!

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #4,363 of 4,480
Currently listening to Beautiful Horizon (2023) by The Fusion Syndicate, a recording project originally started by Billy Sherwood of Yes and The Prog Collective fame. This time it's headed up by Fernando Perdomo, a well respected session guitarist, keyboardist and producer. As with the earlier albums the playing is done by a huge list of talent, this time including Al Di Meola and Jan Akkerman.

beautifulhorizon.jpg

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #4,365 of 4,480
Just put on one of my old standbys. This was the album that introduced me to Polyphia and, though I've listened to it countless times since I first heard it, I still enjoy throwing it on from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back