preferred mode of communication
Sep 4, 2003 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
This excludes any relationship type communication. What I'm asking here is: If a friend of yours just wants to BS, what is your preferred way to do that? Elaborate in a reply if you want.

I think people who listen to headphones often may choose differently than the general population. What do you guys think?

Sep 4, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 30
I don't like the phone- so its either email or in person. I voted for email since its what I like best for BS chat. Each person can answer at their own pace. Real conversation must take place in person whenever possible.

I don't like AIM-style chat because its like talking but slow because of the typing. With email I can think about what I want to say and take my time typing it. With chat, I'm always stuggling to type faster and faster.

Sep 4, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 30
In person one on one is always best but not always possible in this day and age.
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 30
I'm a Gretta Garbo: "I vant to be alone!"

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 30
Talk is overated. Most of the time it is just the window-dressing used to masquerade the disgusting behavior that stems from basic human nature. People don't really say what they mean, and often lie, or just as often are simply self-unaware. If you assume that most people will respond to you in a selfish, self-serving fashion, then you will be accurate more often than not. Saves a lot of time.

Present company excepted, of course
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 30
Well, that all depends what time of week it is. During the week I generally use the cell phone, and E-mail. On the weekend I much desire cards, beer, and ********ting back, and forth in person.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 30
QUOTE: "Talk is overated. Most of the time it is just the window-dressing used to masquerade the disgusting behavior that stems from basic human nature. People don't really say what they mean, and often lie, or just as often are simply self-unaware.If you assume that most people will respond to you in a selfish, self-serving fashion, then you will be accurate more often than not. Saves a lot of time."

A man after my own (cold, cold) heart!
cool.gif

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #12 of 30
I prefer to talk to my friends in person, although I haven't talked to some of my friends in person for over 4 years
frown.gif

But otherwise telephone/cellphone is the next preferred, IM the next, and email the least preferred (but still better than the other alternatives).

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 30
Live is always best for me. I like to look at someone when I am conversing.

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 30
I'll go with Email. I tend to express myself in writing much better than verbally (unusual, perhaps), and can't stand the telephone... if it wasn't for the occasional absolute necessity, I probably wouldn't even have one. As far as online, Email is nice in that it's a time shifting medium... for immediacy, a prearranged "live" chat is good, otherwise Email rules. I have no IM app installed, the things drive me batty (interruptions).

P.S. IMO, cell phones are a scourge.
biggrin.gif
You couldn't give me one free.

Sep 4, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 30
Live & in person. Playing phone-tag sucks and I don't have the patience for it. Email's great for setting up meetings so I can talk face to face with people or keeping in touch with people in foreign countries but that's about it for me. I don't do IRC or any other online chat, nor do I use cellphone or pager text-messaging. Sign language, in this case the extended middle finger is used to communicate my displeasure to ********, and some body language like a kick to the nuts is used as required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back