Powered Monitors in the $750 - $1,000 Range
Feb 17, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #16 of 34
I've never met a KRK I didn't hate
tongue.gif
Dynes are also known to be very dark according to some ears I trust. You really still have to go listen
tongue.gif

Here's a dated but interesting shootout: http://www.prorec.com/prorec/article...256AE10015266A

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #17 of 34
Personally I would stay away from the KRK V8. Compared to Dynaudio, Genelec, Mackie and Adam, the KRK sounded mighty coloured to me. edit: Whoops, ooheadsoo beat me to it. Anyway, I agree that Dynaudios are pretty dark. On the other hand, I thought the Genelecs were rather bright in the critical upper midrange / lower treble areas. But there are usually subtle tone controls on the back of the monitors and eq-ing is certainly another good solution. My favourites are still the Adam P11A but the bass is somewhat insufficient and they don't have a waveguide, which is not a good thing as I was told.
tongue.gif

DIY is the way to go if skills and time are at hand... I've heard diy bookshelf speakers for around $500-600 in parts (one had Vifa midrange/bass driver, an out of production Seas tweeter, nice wooden cabinet, and a fairly simple but exclusively-populated crossover) that had better imaging, soundstage, focus and naturalness than all the highly touted audiophile monitors like JMLab Electra 906, Kef XQ1, B&W 705, et al.

I'm undecided myself and actually thinking about selling all my headphone gear to fund some badass diy speakers.

To add another note, for research on pro monitors I think http://gearslutz.com/board has the best input (quality and quantity) from the pro boards I've looked at.

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 34
Hey Guys

Thanks again for the tips. I like the looks / specs of those Mackie HR824s. And they're not TOO far outside of the top-end of my budget!
biggrin.gif

I've got a Guitar Center a few blocks from my place...so I think a trip there will be in order over the weekend.

I really like the DIY idea and am super impressed with Dennis Murphy's designs. In fact, I'm using a pair of Polk RTI-28s with replacement crossovers designed with Dennis. I really like them...and probably don't "need" new speakers, but I am curious as to what else is out there.

ooheadsoo, oh yeah...I've been keeping a wary eye on those SP Tech AV-1s!! Those things look awesome and the reviews have been all positive. I need to double check the specs to see how deep they reach down.

That's awesome you're looking at the AV-2s! Are you still using something to augment the bass of your setup?

-Jim

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
I'm gonna shoot an email to Rick Craig and see if he has any suggestions. I'll pass along the info. Maybe if he's feeling generous he'd be willing to design us something.
biggrin.gif

Nice! I'll be VERY curious to hear what he has to say as well!

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 34
The av1 is an 8 incher in a sealed cabinet. There are no specs published, but it won't be 30's for sure. Maybe 60's or high 50's for a -10db. Man, just get a subwoofer!
smily_headphones1.gif
You can diy one for just a few hundred smackers - once I get my GR sub (built for me by comaberenices) I'll be able to give a thumbs up or down on it. It has an anechoic -3db of 21hz or so.

Rick has a monitor in this price range.

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The av1 is an 8 incher in a sealed cabinet. There are no specs published, but it won't be 30's for sure. Maybe 60's or high 50's for a -10db. Man, just get a subwoofer!
smily_headphones1.gif
You can diy one for just a few hundred smackers - once I get my GR sub (built for me by comaberenices) I'll be able to give a thumbs up or down on it. It has an anechoic -3db of 21hz or so.

Ha! Yes, there is a good chance I will "relent" and do just that. Will give the powered monitors a chance first.

-3db at 21hz? I like that!!

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, who or what is "comaberenices"?

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #24 of 34
A friend I made through head-fi.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

The SA-1 looked mighty good but it's not available in a shielded version according to Madisound.

BTW that auction on the 824s ended kinda high for the condition those were in, at least I thought.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #26 of 34
Most people don't consider a pushed in dust cap to be significant damage except for aesthetics, so that could explain it.

I'm afraid the sad fact is that they don't make high end woofers with shielding. That means that diy projects with shielded woofers in this price range will be rare unless you decide to build a line array out of cheaper shielded woofers
wink.gif
If you can give yourself about 2 feet, I would hope that it wouldn't be a problem.

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #27 of 34
dont knock speakers based on their published specs. for that price range id get KRK v8s2's or Genelec 8020's. im familiar with the krk signature so i'd personally get the v8s2's, the genelec's are well tough though.

the key thing is tho, to go and listen to them. most GC's or music stores will have a heap of speakers setup for listening. i spent days in the rooms before i pulled the trigger

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #28 of 34
Well you can be fairly sure that a speaker has a 95% chance of being worse than the published specs
tongue.gif

The KRKs have one of the most colored midranges I've heard in a pro monitor, but to each their own. It is important you audition. Not all material brings out all aspects of a speaker.

Feb 19, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #29 of 34
Specs on the sptech av2 were published to be -3db at 45hz, and given that it's a sealed box, the av1 would not be much different. This would provide enough bass for most people and you can add a sub later for the first octave.

Feb 19, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 34
It looked like one of the 824s side panels was buckling too, I doubt it effected the air seal but you never know.

Rick recommended the RC2A kit to me, which looks a lot like the Tanzanite minus the Morel 2" midrange driver. It features a shielded Seas Excel magnesium cone woofer and a Fountek ribbon tweeter. I'm checking to see if he has anything slightly less pricey, but it sounds like a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back