Power Conditioning and Isolation, what are my options?
Aug 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #31 of 42
Nexus fans are really only average in terms of air flow and noise. You can do a lot better. Noctuas when using the included ULNA adapter are much quieter with similar air flow, and the low speed Scythe fans and Silenx fans are also better choices than Nexus.

Aug 13, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #32 of 42

Quote:
Nexus fans are really only average in terms of air flow and noise. You can do a lot better. Noctuas when using the included ULNA adapter are much quieter with similar air flow, and the low speed Scythe fans and Silenx fans are also better choices than Nexus.

Sure, just about any true "quiet fan" would work fine.  I like Nexus b/c not just in terms of dB noise level but the quality of that noise; I find it to blend much easier into the ambient background noise and ignorable compared to Scythe and SilenX I have used.  Noctuas may be the way to go, even at near 2X price of Nexus, due to it coming with all kinds of adapters one will need inside Liebert.  

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #33 of 42
That makes sense. I'm much more familiar with 120mm fans from computer building, and at that size, pretty much any of the good ones are inaudible below 900rpm so you just want the one with the best airflow at that speed.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #34 of 42
I had a PC Power & Cooling PSU once that had an 80mm fan that sounded like a blow dryer as well. I switched it out for a Panaflow and it was still too loud for me (that is why I have my doubts) and yes I am picky LOL. My only experience with other fans (i.e. Scythe, Noctua, Enermax, etc.) is in the 120 to 140mm range. Most fans at this size are quiet in general though.

Lets just say that now of days...there will be no PSUs in my PCs unless they have 120mm or larger fans. Currently using a Seasonic with a 120mm Noctua in it.  :)  My fault for pulling the trigger on a piece of gear (for audio purposes) that has a 80mm fan in it. I got authorization to return it today, so I think that is what I am going to do. Back to the drawing board now.

So....

What do you guys think of the top-end Monster Power line conditioner and voltage stabilizer? (assuming I can find them waaaaaay below MSRP...most likely used)

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 42

Quote:
So....  
What do you guys think of the top-end Monster Power line conditioner and voltage stabilizer? (assuming I can find them waaaaaay below MSRP...most likely used)

I'm not a fan. Putting aside my feelings towards Monster Cable as a company, their line conditioners are worse than using nothing, and the voltage stabilizer is only suited to source equipment and is nothing special.

You can find used PS Audio Duets for around $150 that will beat up any Monster Power product at any price.

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #36 of 42

Quote:
I had a PC Power & Cooling PSU once that had an 80mm fan that sounded like a blow dryer as well. I switched it out for a Panaflow and it was still too loud for me (that is why I have my doubts) ...

My fault for pulling the trigger on a piece of gear (for audio purposes) that has a 80mm fan in it. I got authorization to return it today, so I think that is what I am going to do. Back to the drawing board now.

I have a 80 mm Panaflow right here, too.  Quite loud, especially without fan controller.  
But it's cool if you want to return it.  I still believe a Liebert unit with quiet fan and good outlets is very, very difficult to beat sonically regardless of cost.  

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #37 of 42
I respect your opinion, but how would using a Monster line conditioner make audio worse than using nothing at all? Im not a fan of the Monster company because of their prices and business practices, but I would consider buying their products if I could find them new/used at a major fraction of their normal MSRP.

Quote:
I'm not a fan. Putting aside my feelings towards Monster Cable as a company, their line conditioners are worse than using nothing, and the voltage stabilizer is only suited to source equipment and is nothing special.

You can find used PS Audio Duets for around $150 that will beat up any Monster Power product at any price.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #38 of 42

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but how would using a Monster line conditioner make audio worse than using nothing at all?

It takes a very well designed conditioner to outperform the wall across the board. Many of them are worse than nothing in one area or another. The easy way to filter incoming AC is to use a restrictive brute force approach, which is what Monster does. The noise floor may be lowered a bit, but the dynamics and life are gone, and at least the bar type Monster conditioners will let enough over-voltage through to damage equipment. Plus they all have el-cheapo hard-wired power cords, which for me is an automatic "no thank you". Monster doesn't know the first thing about power cords. 

I avoid any conditioner that has specific "high-current" outlets. In my opinion, a passive conditioner should be able to apply its full filtering to all outlets without restricting current in any way, which the Adept Response, Hydra, and Running Springs conditioners can do. Of those, I think the ARs do the best job at improving the sound while otherwise staying out of the way and not altering the tonal balance, though I haven't heard the RSA flagships.

May 23, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #40 of 42
Wow, back from the dead. For those wondering, the TrippLite I purchased for $180 back in 2010 is still going strong.

May 23, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #41 of 42
If it's using MOV's for surge protection my guess is they are long burned out and no longer effective.

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #42 of 42
I need some advice regarding the power delivery to my audio components. My primary need is to get some sort of a power sockets extensions, since I gave only one power sockets available near my audio devices.

I got a good deal opportunity for the used Adept Response aR6 unit for €1200, so I like the idea since I can get six power sockets with some filtering and power surge protection.

Do you recommend to take the used unit or to get a quality power strip, for example Supra along with some quality power cord for devices?

Thank you in advance for advices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back