Power Conditioning and Isolation, what are my options?
Jul 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently I've been shopping around for something that can not only protect my audio equipment, but will also provide cleaner power to my individual components.  I've looked at power conditioners from many companies and recently came across the isolation transformers from Tripp Lite (specifically the IS500 model).  They're within my budget and seem to provide clean power and surge protection, exactly what I'm looking for.

For those that use power conditioners or isolation transformers, can you recommend something that will fit my needs?  I'm not one to spend a lot of money on power cables and interconnects (Blue Jeans and Quail, thank you), but I do understand the important of having clean power.  I'm just not sure the most effective way to go about doing that :)

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 42
Go for it!

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #3 of 42
Tacima, Lindy (pretty much the same), Russ Andrews (more expensive), Isotek (more expensive again) are just some of the companies I do know about.
I would recommend plug in mains conditioners such as by Tacima and Russ Andrews and plugging them into the first socket of any mains extension, don't bother with expensive 'audiophile' ones.

I do that and have noticeably reduced background hiss with my present kit.

However, during various house moves i have noticed that the effectiveness of mains conditioning varies from house to house. So there is no guarantee.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 42
I do use an isolation transformer, but don't recall the brand.  I initially bought it as a safety device for working on old tube gear.  I think it was about $50, but I might get one of the really big ones over at Nebraska Surplus so I can use this one on the bench I'll have set up in a few months.

Also, you really need to consider whether there's a noise problem in the first place.  Most people don't realize it, but the power supply in your gear already is sort of a line conditioner.  It depends on the gear, of course, but they filter what comes out of the wall and turn it into clean, pure DC for the circuit.  It's not like the wall current goes directly into what you're listening to, the wall current gets filtered by the power supply.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 42
One final question, what is the main difference between an isolation transformer and a line conditioner?

Here at the two products I'm looking at:
Isolation Transformer:  http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=839&txtModelID=227
Line Conditioner:  http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=838&txtModelID=2833

I'm partial towards getting the line conditioner since it gives me two more plugs for a bit less.  I'm not sure if one is better than the other for what my intended use is though, however the line conditioner seems a bit more suited towards home use.

edit:  Uncle Erik, I appreciate the response.  My house was built in the early 80's and I'm currently running my audio gear from the same wall socket that I have my computer plugged into.  To me, spending <$300 isn't a big deal if it means I can ensure my audio gear/computer is protected from surges, supplied with cleaner power, and the components can be isolated from each other.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 42
So if one was to buy that Tripp Lite isolation transformer, then could you also buy a Tripp Lite power strip and plug it into the IT for more plugins?

Also, what about voltage stabilizers (like the MonsterPower AVS 2000 that claims rock solid 120V at all times)? What about AC regenerators (like the one from PurePower http://www.purepoweraps.com/pdf/2000%20tech%20specs.pdf )?

Are there any companies that offer voltage stabilizers and/or AC regenerators without the "audiophile" price tag? (this is what I like about Tripp Lite)

There are so many options in the power market that have always been confusing to me because they usually never come in an all-in-one package and no one seems to explain which you should buy and the proper way to chain them...

power strip
surge
line condition
voltage stabilizer
AC regen
isolation
etc., etc.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 42
Well, last night I placed an order for a Tripp Lite LC1800 line conditioner for only $180 shipped.  Worst case scenario, I just paid $180 for peace of mind.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 42

Quote:
I've had excellent results with the Audience Adept Response conditioners. Just about everything else usually does more sonic harm than good.

That's what I've been afriad of. I've heard the Audience Adept really is not supposed to effect the sound, but aren't they a bit expensive? I've heard good things about the Zerosurge devices. No MOVs and filtration that's also not supposed to effect the sound.

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 42

Quote:
That's what I've been afriad of. I've heard the Audience Adept really is not supposed to effect the sound, but aren't they a bit expensive?

They can be extremely expensive, but it's possible to get most of the benefit of an Ar6 or Ar12 without spending thousands. You'll find the single outlet Ar1p on Audiogon frequently in the $250-300 range, and all you have to do is plug in a basic power strip. That doesn't give you individual outlet filtering, but for basic systems it should be plenty.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 42
I really think what we all need more than anything is an AC regenerator after doing the research. Do you have a link to that Liebert unit Jon L? I could not find it on the Liebert website.

All the other regenerators I can find are marketed as audiophile products and therefore command a premium price. =/

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 42

Quote:
I really think what we all need more than anything is an AC regenerator after doing the research. Do you have a link to that Liebert unti Jon L? I could not find it on the Liebert website.

All the other regenerators I can find are marketed as audiophile products and therefore command a premium price. =/

I've tried a couple of high-end regenerators, the ExactPower and more recently the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. I prefer my Adept Response to both. It cleans up the power, and when an amplifier asks for a massive amount of current, it gets out of the way. The regenerators really don't respond well to those kinds of demands. In a strictly headphone based system, the PS might work better.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 42

Quote:
I really think what we all need more than anything is an AC regenerator after doing the research. Do you have a link to that Liebert unit Jon L? I could not find it on the Liebert website.

In my post just above yours, there a link with more info.  See the 4th post, where I link to a site that sells the 1000 watt version for like $299 refurbed :)  Just add quiet fans (I used Nexus) and better outlets (I like Synergistic Teslaplex).  

Quote:
I've tried a couple of high-end regenerators, the ExactPower and more recently the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. I prefer my Adept Response to both. It cleans up the power, and when an amplifier asks for a massive amount of current, it gets out of the way. The regenerators really don't respond well to those kinds of demands. In a strictly headphone based system, the PS might work better.

Neither the ExactPower nor PS PPP are *battery* regenerators.  The Liebert regenerates new AC sine wave from battery 100% of the time.  The Exactpower is not even a regenerator.  It does not regenerate new AC sine wave from ground up.  It just "analyzes" and corrects the AC waveform from the wall by adding some voltage here and there, etc.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back