Power Conditioner - Do they make a significant difference???
Aug 12, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #16 of 38
No, based on my experience, a power conditioner won't make a significant difference (unless your power is much worse than average, I suppose). But they seem to improve things a little bit.

By the way, in my experience, using an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is the absolute WORST thing you can do to your audio hardware. I've personally compared APC UPS devices to PS Audio power conditioners (UO and P500) and found that they noticeably reduce the quality of the sound. I'm guessing they'd fare even worse against the newer PS Audio gear (e.g. Duet and Premier) because those sound better than the UO and P500 (again, based on my own tests).

Aug 12, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #17 of 38
Here is another option:

http://www.transcendentsound.com/power_supply.htm

TranscendentBPSfront01web.jpg

TranscendentBPSback01web.jpg

Provides:
♦ True Balanced 120V Power
♦ Removes Power Line Noise
♦ Eliminates Ground Loops in House Wiring
♦ Reduces Radiated Fields from Power Cords
♦ Soft Start Protects Equipment From Turn-On Surges
♦ Less Than 2 Hours Assembly Time
♦ Reduces Interference Between Equipment

Aug 12, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Power Conditioner...No. Just get an Untinteruptable Power Supply/Battery Backup so you can protect your equipment from surges and whatnot. It would also let you turn off your gear safely if there is a power outage.

APC is essentially the best company.

+1,,I have the APC units on all of my source components,,DVA,CD,Melos pre(headphones) and my cable modem,one lamp,phone. Works good for me,since I leave em' on.Especially,now, since we have had "rollong blackouts" in my area due to the recent heatwave.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Monster HTS 3500 MkII and I can not tell a difference. Thank God I only paid about $170 delivered.

IMO, that's the best possible outcome. I haven't found a decent power conditioner yet that didn't affect the sound quality in a negative way, though the most I've ever paid for one has been around $120 (Furman PL-Plus).

I've heard good things about the Brick Wall equipment. The worst thing a power conditioner can do is limit the current and send the signal through cheap MOVs, which the Brick Wall and other more expensive equipment avoids. Otherwise, it seems like every inexpensive conditioner uses this method.

I'd love to incorporate some kind of surge protection in my own system, but I'd rather plug into the wall than use a cheap strip or conditioner.
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1-Look for power conditioners to give you the final 2-5% in you system AFTER you have configured synergy with the rest of your gear.

When I changed my P300 Power Plant (MWave4) to Premier Power Plant (MWave1) I had to take my whole system apart and build it up again to get synergy for the different flavor of power conditioning. It took 7 months to do that.

If you already have synergy, anything you do will mess it up unless you compensate for it elsewhere.

I remember when I first tried Noise Harvesters, I had 4 Harvesters and even 1 Harvester made a too big difference. Everything was too heavy and smooth. I liked the edgy sound better because it gave the illusion of faster transients. But then I found the problem, it was Ultimate Outlet that made everything worse. I had to boost up the AC noise entering the Ultimate Outlet to compensate for the dullness of it. After I removed the Ultimate Outlet and plugged my P300 Power Plant directly into the wall I got the best sound ever, and then I could plug in all 4 Harvesters without making it too heavy.
But then I got other problems and had to compensate for them... Getting synergy is very hard.

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #22 of 38
If you read the manual for several Bryston amp models, it specifically says NOT to use a power conditioner...that you should plug it straight into the wall.

Spend your money on better cans/speakers! You will get way better bang for your buck there!

Aug 13, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you read the manual for several Bryston amp models, it specifically says NOT to use a power conditioner...that you should plug it straight into the wall.

Spend your money on better cans/speakers! You will get way better bang for your buck there!

That is because their amps pull so much current. Headphone amps do not pull nearly as much. A good heavy duty AC conditioner would not do any harm to a headphone amp except for maybe a FirstWatt amp feeding a K1000.

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #24 of 38
This is the second time I'm reading the above posts (#22 and #23). How does it harm your equipment if you plug it through a power conditioner? And why would it be better to go straight into the wall?

Is the Tacima CS929 a power conditioner?

Cheers.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the second time I'm reading the above posts (#22 and #23). How does it harm your equipment if you plug it through a power conditioner? And why would it be better to go straight into the wall?

Is the Tacima CS929 a power conditioner?

Cheers.

It doesnt damage your equipment, it just damages the sound.

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Okay, but how?

Is the CS929 a power conditioner?

Limited current, thus squeezing the sound. Meaning less large sounstage and less details. Everything starts to sound closed in.

The better the powersupply of an amp, the less need for a filter! And there are some amps that have some kind of linefilter build in; in this case it would double filter and have huge impact on the sound.

It's really simple to test, plug the amp in the filter, listen for a while, then switch to no filter and if it sound better with or without filter, you know what to use or to keep.

The best "filters" are those that regenerate the power to clean power. These are also the most expensive.

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Oh? You get limited current using a power conditioner?

frown.gif
Okay that makes sense. Thanks for explaining that.

Ok total novice shot at this here, but I believe tourmaline is correct. From the reading I have been doing, it appears that most power line conditioners are wired in series. This limits the current because the power conditioner is separating you and your power source. If you plug your equipment directly into the wall, you in theory have the power on demand at the nearest substation at your disposal.

Aug 13, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #30 of 38
Here is a conversation with an E&E friend of mine who disagrees with the above posts that Power Conditioners can be bad for sound [by limiting current]

Quote:

Empire23 - Donate to me Thermal Paste! says:
filters first of all are Pi section filters
they aren't current limited
due to 2 things
capacitors are not current resistive
only voltage resistive
next is that inductors, while current change resistive
do not limit it
. х е е м . says:
to be clear, we're talking about power conditioners
as long as the q factor is high enough
they never become a problem
yes yes, power filters/conditioners
. х е е м . says:
but don't they have a Max Current rating
yes they do, most PEM filters have a max current rating
just choose one that suits your needs
if we chose according to max current rating, a basic 24 AWG wire can only do 15A, so do we need to get a fatter wire? No, we choose according to what we need. As simple as that.
If you need more amps, get a bigger wire, if not, don't. There's no such thing as "squeezing" your system lol
if the amps are too high, the wire will simply heat up and light on fire
ok
that's just one part of filters
second is the use of giant toroids in power conditioners
you can give them a million names
or put plenty of buzzwords
but transformers isolate
that's what they do
they decouple the source from the load and also get rid of alot of harmful interference from it
also due to the fact they self saturate
they're AC only

Users who are viewing this thread

Back