Power Cables... Really?
Jul 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #331 of 417
This is a hobby not a science project for me. I can say " I will probably have more fun than most of those who make it a science project". Come on be real about it for a moment? Try gear out like "power cables"? If you don't like them return them? " I need to do this test or that test" is really cumbersome to upgrade your rig. And a big pain in the rear. If you are really not comfortable spending the cash with out these tests, this hobby may not what you are looking for? This hobby takes a little homework, any hobby does? All your questions answers just don't fall on your lap. With power cables it is not that hard.

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #332 of 417
It is all good Sovkiller, it is OK if I get a little flack. Water off a ducks back. Ask Sergio! German beer is good. I know I have made my own beer. Respect the good stuff. I know when I see pictures from the meets I have organized of people smiling or reading that head-fiers had a good time all the B.S. is washed down the drain.

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #333 of 417
Poppa homework is one thing, and what those guys ask for their cables, is another very different...you know that...see this...first is the answer from the VD CEO, what he has to say about some inquiries in markup of their cables...not sure what is the real market price now, second the thread we all know as what is indeed inside those cables, a real shame the pictures were all removed now...if I have to build a monument, will be for that cat..!!!..
http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/1248/virtual-dynamics-response

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/293165/my-cat-tore-up-my-virtual-dynamics-power-3

Send my best reagards to the dumb of Sergio..BTW is he still in the klipsch horns??? i ahve not heard from him in centuries!!!! I miss him and the good old Phill....

Jul 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #334 of 417
Power cables??? Well...here is a very good site with very good prices on them, and very good customer service and reputation, other thna that I will pass...here is where I get mines lately...Pro Cables....you can beat those prices for hospital grade shielded power cables...

BTW those guys has other very good offers as well...

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #335 of 417
Does Head-Fi have a recording forum?  I didn't see a heading for one.  I see the need to get high quality recordings and see doing so as having an easily "verifiable" sonic benefit.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #336 of 417

Quote:
Enjoy what you want to enjoy, but don't tell lies about how we're trying to control everybody.

Heck, you're trying to control me right now.  Who are you kidding?

(Need a head shaking up and down emoticon here)

Here, have a beer.
beerchug.gif

Beeman, JamesL provided links to various cable threads which have not been 'controlled' by anti-cablers as evidence that your claims are not true. That is not controlling you, unless by controlling you mean disagreeing. Anti-cablers, indeed anyone but a moderator cannot control you or anyone else on this forum. Once you are past the initial moderation of new posts, all posters have equal posting rights here. If anything anti-cablers are more controlled as BDT is banned from various parts of the forum. Pro-cable debate and advice is not banned from any part of the forum.

I am sorry Beeman, but not only do I disagree with some of your points, there is evidence to show that those points are just plain wrong.

Jul 12, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #337 of 417

Quote:
Beeman, JamesL provided links to various cable threads which have not been 'controlled' by anti-cablers as evidence that your claims are not true. That is not controlling you, unless by controlling you mean disagreeing. Anti-cablers, indeed anyone but a moderator cannot control you or anyone else on this forum. Once you are past the initial moderation of new posts, all posters have equal posting rights here. If anything anti-cablers are more controlled as BDT is banned from various parts of the forum. Pro-cable debate and advice is not banned from any part of the forum.

I am sorry Beeman, but not only do I disagree with some of your points, there is evidence to show that those points are just plain wrong.

I don't have to wonder why DBT discussions have been banned from so many forums.  Some would want to think it's because the moderators, among others wish to continue the 'ignorance'.  OTOH, I'd wager, it's more an interpersonal behavioural issue that leads to infighting and thread disruptions.

Anyway, it would seem that things are remarkably civil now... but only for a while, I'm sure.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #338 of 417
Just wondering. Do videophiles claim that better power cables also provides more contrast in their screens? 

Not saying that a better power cable does not make a difference... but it sound pretty stupid to me. The power goes trough cheap wires in your house, then trough an 'better cable' and then again trough cheap cables inside the device. Or the cable can do magic and makes the power better... orrr

Yeah highly skeptical..

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #339 of 417
I've read a few people who said they think so. More common are people who think power conditioners help.

beeman, here's the album forum. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/9

I highly recommend getting a 3 month or lifetime membership to www.magnatune.com they have over 1000 cd quality independent musician albums for download, and you can listen to each album fully but in low bitrate. Let me know if there's a few albums you'd like me to send you in cd quality, beeman, magnatune lets people share music freely :) (says in their FAQ)..

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #340 of 417

Quote:
Just wondering. Do videophiles claim that better power cables also provides more contrast in their screens? 

Not saying that a better power cable does not make a difference... but it sound pretty stupid to me. The power goes trough cheap wires in your house, then trough an 'better cable' and then again trough cheap cables inside the device. Or the cable can do magic and makes the power better... orrr

Yeah highly skeptical..

It sounds equally 'pretty stupid' to me to assume that degraded power because of transmission over a distance can't be further degraded from wall socket to appliance.  I'm not saying that a power cord will necessarily make a difference.  I'm just saying that it's 'silly/stupid' to not care about further degradation once you think that there's already some degradation in what's presented to you at the socket.

I suspect though that if there's a difference it may well be down to the connectors.  Good connections between the socket and power cord and then from power cord to appliance is vital.  HiFi Audio equipment may well be particularly sensitive to this.

I had bought a cheap 6ft extension for my Ed8's and thought they were fine, but only for a while.  After a while, I discovered that the 1/8" plug to my amp gave a bad connection.  You fiddle with it and it's not that the sound would cut out, but the sound would actually change from a less to a more dynamic sound and back.  This doesn't happen with the stock 15ft extension cable, at least so I think.  I'll not be really happy until I have the Ed8's recabled with a 1/4" Furitech plug.  So a large part of the fuss may well have to do with just the integrity of the connectors involved.

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #341 of 417
My theory, as yet untested, is that power cables (of at least 1.5m/5 ft) have enough capacitance that they do some RF filtering, hence the supposed improvement in sound quality.  All the OCCC wire stuff is very possibly pointless, but the curious designs of high-end cables probably have some kind of noise filtering effect to the benefit of quite a bit of gear.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #342 of 417
Quote:

Yeah highly skeptical..

There's not even any analog video any longer so there's not much room for cables to do anything anymore.  There is justification for solidly designed and constructed HDMI cables since those frequencies are high enough to make audio look like DC, in comparison.  Bad connectors, poorly insulated conductors, and conductors which are too thin can start to eat a lot of the signal if a cable is longer than 3-6 feet or so.  Any cheep cable is likely to be good if you just have to run it 3' from your bluray player to your TV, but longer runs usually demand quality cable.  Fortunately monoprice's premium cables are more than up to the task.  I have 25' one I got for like $35 running from my PC to my Vizio.  It's also fortunate that it transmits a digital signal, so you'll know right away whether it works or not.  It will almost always work perfectly, not work at all, or be very obviously broken.  There's no near infinite series of gradations that will leave you wondering if you can get better quality, like there is with audio.

Quote:
I've read a few people who said they think so. More common are people who think power conditioners help.

I can't see how that would help your picture, but it's a good idea anyway since it will protect your gear from surges and spikes.  You don't need to spend a lot on a special A/V model though.  Ebay is full of used medical grade power conditioners for much better prices.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #343 of 417
beeman, here's the album forum.

Hi Haloxt.  Thanks for the links.  I'll check them both out.  CD's, even at the used CD store, if the store is being used on a regular basis, can quickly become very expensive.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #345 of 417
Quote:
But it is the first few feet your component, drawing power, sees.

But does that matter? You're drawing from a degraded source. If it degrades enough to be noticeable over about 5 feet, then the amount of degradation it has gone through on the trip from the generator and through the mains cables is staggering. Using anything but a rechargeable battery would be embarrassing.

I hear this "first few feet" thing all the time, and it never makes much sense to me. I really need someone to explain in depth the reasoning behind it.

It goes through an AC-to-DC conversion anyway. So really the amp itself doesn't see it at all, only the power supply in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back