post your grado mods....
Sep 19, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #5,431 of 8,992
I had one of those for a while...they aren't padded, and they are a touch wider than the stock Grado one, but they are nice...JoeDoe uses/used one for a while.

Yep, no padding but still an improvement over stock not to mention tons of color options

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,432 of 8,992
...more experimentation...made a GS1000-style slip-on for the Korina sleeves. I am not happy with the fit. I couldn't get a clean enough hole in the slip-on for the sleeve to fit into. I was hoping to make it so that the sleeves could be used on stock Grado cups or my slip-ons, but for now, without a lathe, I guess that's out of the question...next time around I will make the sleeves to fit the slip-on exclusively. Should be able to get a much cleaner fit then:

I suppose if I used hot glue and made the pairing permanent it wouldn't look terrible. Still...I would know...

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #5,433 of 8,992
  ...more experimentation...made a GS1000-style slip-on for the Korina sleeves. I am not happy with the fit. I couldn't get a clean enough hole in the slip-on for the sleeve to fit into. I was hoping to make it so that the sleeves could be used on stock Grado cups or my slip-ons, but for now, without a lathe, I guess that's out of the question...next time around I will make the sleeves to fit the slip-on exclusively. Should be able to get a much cleaner fit then:

I suppose if I used hot glue and made the pairing permanent it wouldn't look terrible. Still...I would know...

You should be able to find a non standard hole saw or forstner bit to make a nice clean fit, you;ll have to go metric. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #5,434 of 8,992
You should be able to find a non standard hole saw or forstner bit to make a nice clean fit, you;ll have to go metric. 

Noooooo! Not metric!

:)...just kidding...thanks, will start scouring eBay.

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #5,435 of 8,992
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here :)

So I'm assembling myself a pair of SennGrado ( SR60e base ), and I was wondering which cable would you recommend ( I can solder ). And what would be better : a jack under each cup then plug a Y cable or wired all the way from the drivers to the amp-in jack ? Which parts would you recommend ? My budget is about $140-150 for the cable and jack(s).

Thank you for reading :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #5,436 of 8,992
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here :)

So I'm assembling myself a pair of SennGrado ( SR60e base ), and I was wondering which cable would you recommend ( I can solder ). And what would be better : a jack under each cup then plug a Y cable or wired all the way from the drivers to the amp-in jack ? Which parts would you recommend ? My budget is about $140-150 for the cable and jack(s).

Thank you for reading :)

Well the Grado stock cable works just fine, but if you'd like something different, I'd PM head fier wje. He makes excellent cables that are relatively inexpensive. For me the dual entry is better as it relives an amount of stress and doesn't make all of the weight feel like it's on one side.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #5,437 of 8,992
Well the Grado stock cable works just fine, but if you'd like something different, I'd PM head fier wje. He makes excellent cables that are relatively inexpensive. For me the dual entry is better as it relives an amount of stress and doesn't make all of the weight feel like it's on one side.

Seconded...a message to wje is what you need.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,440 of 8,992
  Maybe this is a silly question, but where does one buy the Grado cups, headband, etc. to use with custom drivers?

Cups can be found by PMing fleasbaby or 7keys or by purchasing from Vibro Labs, Yew Wood Works, or Martin Custom Audio.

The rest of the stock Grado parts have to be harvested from an existing pair of Grados unless you're lucky enough to find someone with extras lying around.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #5,441 of 8,992
Greetings Head-fiers! I am about to brave replacing the stock cups on my SR80e's with Sindoran burl wood cups and I am really interested in replacing the hard-wired cable with a detachable cable to 1/8" mono jacks in each cup. I would like to replace the stock cable with a very nice, audiophile-grade cable in the future so I want to make sure that the quality of the 1/8" mono headphone jack will be able to parallel the quality of the upgraded cable I choose in the future. In my search to find good 1/8" jacks, however, I am running into the same issue; it appears that name for these jacks are very heterogeneous, which is making it difficult to find exactly what I am looking for. e.g. I keep seeing either 1/8" mono jack/socket/female connection. I have been blazing through forum pages trying to pick up on what is the best choice for the headphone jacks but to no avail. 

I would be much appreciative if someone could recommend good quality 1/8" (3.5mm) mono jacks (that will be compatible with the space limitations within a Grado cup). For all I know, any jack will have the same quality and it really comes down to the cable that makes the difference in sound quality. But I would REALLY hate to specifically modify the cups to accept a run-of-the-mill jack only find out a couple of months later there was a better option.

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #5,444 of 8,992
Already?!?!

biggrin.gif

I bought two of the same!
tongue.gif

Plus I'm getting a GS1ki and PS1000!  Those Sr225 "pinks" are also on the chopping block...
angry_face.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #5,445 of 8,992
  I bought two of the same!
tongue.gif

Plus I'm getting a GS1ki and PS1000!  Those Sr225 "pinks" are also on the chopping block...
angry_face.gif
tongue.gif

...well now you're talking. PM me a price on the pinks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back