Post your favourite local food joints/restaurant
Feb 18, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #31 of 44
Here in the Fullerton/Brea area:

The Hat - best damn pastrami place I have ever been to in California! And their chili fries are to die for
biggrin.gif

Tony's Pizza - pretty decent Chicago style deep dish pizza, but I prefer Zachary's
Pepe's - for $3, you can't get a better breakfast burrito! haha
I've still gotta track down some great eateries!

In the Bay Area:

Yoshi's
Pinkie's Pizza
Blondie's Pizza
Jupiters Pizza

Zachary's Pizza - Best Chicago style pizza in the Bay Area! San Ramon, Oakland, and Berkeley
Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek, great Italian
Masala Indian Fusion Cuisine - in San Ramon/Danville; awesome Indian place, owned by friends of the family.
Chez Panise - Berkeley; healthy, fresh food, amazing!
Masu Sushi - San Mateo; all you can eat sushi for $14 every day from noon until 3pm! It's great sushi, too!

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 44
Not local to me, but to my bro in Australia. There's a tiny little Thai restaurant called Stir Crazy, in Kirribilli (Sydney). It's right next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge and as the absolute best Thai food I have ever eaten.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jPoDTGN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I didnt know they brought it south. Awesome. How'd you like Penn?

I forgot three of my favorite restaurants:

Sevilla in NYC
Spark's Steakhouse in NYC
Da Tommaso in NYC

Yeah, I pretty much buy my gas only from Wawa now, as they tend to be cheaper than pretty much everybody else.

Penn was a blast - I loved pretty much every moment of it. I miss Philly so much...

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here in the Fullerton/Brea area:

The Hat - best damn pastrami place I have ever been to in California! And their chili fries are to die for
biggrin.gif

Tony's Pizza - pretty decent Chicago style deep dish pizza, but I prefer Zachary's
Pepe's - for $3, you can't get a better breakfast burrito! haha
I've still gotta track down some great eateries!

In the Bay Area:

Yoshi's
Pinkie's Pizza
Blondie's Pizza
Jupiters Pizza

Zachary's Pizza - Best Chicago style pizza in the Bay Area! San Ramon, Oakland, and Berkeley
Il Fornaio - Walnut Creek, great Italian
Masala Indian Fusion Cuisine - in San Ramon/Danville; awesome Indian place, owned by friends of the family.
Chez Panise - Berkeley; healthy, fresh food, amazing!
Masu Sushi - San Mateo; all you can eat sushi for $14 every day from noon until 3pm! It's great sushi, too!

I've heard very good things about chez panise. I'm sure my dad's been there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Massive, Volume eating at Harold's. Their Pastrami is quite good. Note the size of a single piece of Chocolate Mousse Cake. I have placed bottles of wine next to the box for a sense of scale.
blink.gif

Also note that I had to use a fisheye lens to photograph it!

Before
Cake1.JPG

After
Cake2.JPG

You have excellent taste in wine. Yellowtail is delicious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I pretty much buy my gas only from Wawa now, as they tend to be cheaper than pretty much everybody else.

Penn was a blast - I loved pretty much every moment of it. I miss Philly so much...

Yeah, i've heard good things about the parties. A lot of the kids here party at UPenn. I cant wait to get out of Philly tho.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #36 of 44
Almost a cliché', but Corky's and Rendezvous barbecue restaurants in Memphis. Gus's Fried Chicken in Mason, TN.

When I lived in CT, I loved Blackie's hotdogs in Cheshire. I also miss the pizza (Sally's, Pepe's, Bimontes, etc...).

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #37 of 44
Minneapolis

Lion's Tap (burgers and the like)
Pepito's (mexican)
Joe's Garage (more burgers)
Cosetta's (Italiano)
Tejas ( Southwestern/Mexican)

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ft Lauderdale Fl:
BBQ: Tom Jenkins

Great BBQ!

Falcon Pub - Davie, FL - Decent beer selection and great fish and chips
Billy's Tavern - Davie, FL - Wings
Kiko's - Plantation, FL - Japanese
Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza - Weston, FL - burnt pizza, wings
Roasted Bean - Davie, FL - Coffee
Abe & Louie's - Boca Raton, FL - Steak
Sushi Blues Cafe - Hollywood, FL - Japanese and Blues
Alligator Alley - Fort Lauderdale, FL - Excellent beer selection, great Gumbo, Po'boy (gator and oyster) and music

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After
Cake2.JPG

A follow up to the Harold's Chocolate Mousse Cake. Although initially delicious a couple of hours after the eating fest, it became stale quickly and therefore should not be purchased for take out. However, as you can see in the photo, the dog was ready to pounce on it (Chocolate Mousse is deadly for Dogs).
Quote:

Originally Posted by jPoDTGN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have excellent taste in wine. Yellowtail is delicious.

Thank you; I do love Yellowtail, both wine and sushi! Of course, the "Pope of Wine", who Immtbiker and MJB met at the last Jets tailgate would state that it was only average!

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #40 of 44
NYC Del Frisco's Double Eagle

Oct 16, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #42 of 44
There’s too many good places to name. I’ve literally spent thousands and thousands of dollars on restaurants in many cities.

From my experiences, France and Japan has the best food. In America, the Mexican food places generally seem to be my favorites

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #43 of 44
There’s too many good places to name. I’ve literally spent thousands and thousands of dollars on restaurants in many cities.

From my experiences, France and Japan has the best food. In America, the Mexican food places generally seem to be my favorites
Can you tell me what kind of Mexican is good? I'm looking for some good Mexican food. Not so experience with Mexican food besides Chipotle, which technically isn't authentic Mexican. I tried some trucks, and stuff, but wasn't impressed. Only Mexican I really appreciated was hole in a wall joint that did Carne Asada (Skirt Steak) done with some citrus marinade, and just super tasty.

citrus-marinated-carne-asada.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #44 of 44
Can you tell me what kind of Mexican is good? I'm looking for some good Mexican food. Not so experience with Mexican food besides Chipotle, which technically isn't authentic Mexican. I tried some trucks, and stuff, but wasn't impressed. Only Mexican I really appreciated was hole in a wall joint that did Carne Asada (Skirt Steak) done with some citrus marinade, and just super tasty.

The only thing I can say is to keep trying and if you end up not liking it, it’s ok.

For me, I tend to favor the organ meats like the tripe and tongue meats. I also like Mexican chicken soup too. There’s also good upscale Mexican places too in trendy parts of cities. Those menus tend to be very different but still good with their own interpretations. Maybe you can use Yelp but I have found unknown local cheap Mexican places to be good too.

Also, it can depend on what part of America you’re in too perhaps. For example, I was impressed with a burrito place in Tuscan Arizona a couple years ago. A place like that may be hard to find in another city. So I guess the bottom line is to keep trying if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back