Post your favourite local food joints/restaurant
Feb 9, 2007 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I believe each place has its famous/popular local food joints/restaurant which you can't have in any other place or it's so good that it will be difficult to find in other places. I'll start first,

Philadelphia, PA

Philly is famous for Philly cheesesteak.

Pat's & Geno's are famous tourist trap. They located in South Philly accross each other. Pat's cheesesteak is good but the portions is small and a bit pricy. IMHO, Pats are superior to Geno's
Jim's cheesesteak is located in south st, near center city. It's crowded and its cheesesteak is on par with Pat's
My favourite cheesesteak joints is Tony Luke's. IMHO it's cheesesteak is very good and their portion is generous.
For cheesesteak, I prefer mine served with no onions & using cheesewiz.

John's Roastpork is another my favourite local food joints. Their roast pork is very good. They are located in South Philly, near Lowe's.

Sydney, NSW, Australia

Harry's Cafe de Wheels is my favourite hot dogs joint. They located in Woolloomooloo, not far from the city and near kingcross, Sydney infamous red light district. Their tiger pie is also very good but I prefer their hot dog.

Hurricane's Grill in Bondi beach is my favourite place to eat ribs & steaks.

For gelato, my favourite is in Leichhardt, I forgot the name of the place but it won't be hard to find since it's crowded, especially at weekend night.

There's also a famous vietnamese hoagies/subs in Mascot, near the airport. When I first arrived in Sydney, my friend bought me one from this place. It won't be hard to find since there will always be a line in front of the store during lunch hours.

Pancakes on the Rocks is also my favourite hangout place.

I also like to eat Laksa in Malaysian house. It's located in QVB underground.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Well there are a lot of local food joints here and if I list them all it will take forever so I'll list my favourite place.

Soto Pak Sadi in Jl Ambengan.
If you ever go to Surabaya, just mention this place to the taxi driver and they'll know.

Bali, Indonesia
If you ever go to Bali, you should try eat seafood in Jimbaran. It's unfortunate that it was targeted by terrorist bomb in 2005.

Feb 9, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 44
Santa Clara, CA

Just Burgers n' Q does everything decently, with the exception of their burgers. "Glorious" and "divine" do not begin to describe the orgasm your mouth is about to experience. Cheap, too -- unless you get the meals (e.g., Triple Burger is $5.75, but if you want fries and a drink, it's $8.50). I advise going next door to the Sunrise Cafe and grabbing a Pearl Tea (Taro is my personal favorite) after you order your burger. Then after that's all done you can go to the other side of Burgers and Q to get a $14 haircut at an independently-owned barber shop, where you get the nice touches (e.g., shaving cream around the outline of your haircut with the use of an old-fashioned razor, vacuum on your head so you don't have little pieces of hair coming off all day, etc.). Nice experience overall -- too bad it's a little outside of walking distance from campus (well, I did it once, but it's not recommended -- it's over two miles).

Feb 9, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 44
Gordon Biersch Brewry (San Jose)... Mainly for the beer but their bar/grille is excellent too.
Sam Kee (San Jose-Cupertino)... Great chinese cuisine for not a lot of $$$
Pho 54 (San Jose)... My fave Pho place
Zeldas (Capitola)... My fave place, in my fave beach town. Live Jazz too on weekends.
Crab-shacks all over san francisco's wharf. Nothing like fresh caught live crab, in SF... on the pier.
Sato Sushi (San Jose)... for sashimi. Love their spider (soft shell crab) rolls there
Yoshi's (Oakland, Jack London square)... Great up-scale Japanese. INCREDIBLE Live Jazz venue. The room acoustics there are phenominal. Engeineers there really know what theyre doing at that venue. Top notch house PA IMHO. I saw Jonathan butler and Keiko Matsui there.
Aldo's (Santa Cruz)... On the pier in Santa Cruz. Good eats for not a lot of $$$. Of all the Northern CA beach towns Santa Cruz generally has the warmest climate. Here's a pic of me and some friends... at Aldo's/

Happy Hound (Los Gatos)... My fave burger dive.
Kubota's (San Jose).
Beach Boardwalk (Santa Cruz)... FAT corn dogs, beer battered onion rings and fried zucchini, salt water taffy and cotton candy.

Feb 9, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 44
L&B's Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn, NY. The best sicilian slice you will ever eat. Airy dough, smooth mozzarella topped with a thick layer of the sweetest sauce you will ever feast your lips on. Plus, top it off with their freshly made spumoni ice cream and your in heaven.

Feb 9, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 44
Outside Northeast Philadelphia, PA (in Bensalem):

Uduppi Dosa House: If you like homemade South Indian vegetarian cuisine and especially dosa, this is the place for you. I'm not Indian, but at my former workplace I had many Indian co-workers and they brought in food regularly. There is fine dining and then there is great food. Fine, creative, gourmet dining is nice if you want to impress someone else or impress yourself, but as I'm approaching 29 I just want food to taste real and traditional - and spicy! - not like some flamboyant, world-renowned chef put together some unusual tastes to delight my palette. If I want to delight my palette I'll go find a girl.

I recommend the Gutti Vakkai (Indian baby eggplants filled with spices), spinach & cheese dosa, tamarind rice and rasam. Be prepared to find whole, fresh spices in your food.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 44
Home: Philly and Burbs:

325px-Wawa.jpg

Margaret Kuo's
Buddakan
Marra's
Sam's Grill
Yangming
Samurai
Jaipur
Roy's
Imperial Inn
Sang Kee/Sang Kee Peking Duck House
Lourdas
Tango

pepperTree.jpg

Pepper Tree in Colo. Springs, Colorado. Probably the best restaurant ive been to.

India Quality in Boston. Probably the best Indian ive ever had.

Rosemary's in Las Vegas. Amazing.

West Street Cafe in Bar Habor, Maine. Best seafood ever.

That should be good for now.

Feb 10, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 44
Rochester, NY

Nick Tahou's Hots - Home of the Garbage Plate
icon10.gif

Gitsis - just an awesome little diner, open 24/7 everyday of the year (at least I believe everyday); really really quick service, food that just makes you go "Mmm," and a familiar-feeling atmosphere

Rochester Hots - Down the street from Gitsis actually, great dogs and such; also, a nice vegetarian menu

Tom Whals - Best. Burger. EVER. (and I know/LOVE burgers); and AWESOME Rootbeer (they make it themselves) -- originally out of Avon, NY they are a great burger joint with a 50'-60's era theme/decor, but not in a tacky way. Another awesome place

Red Robin - I know that this is a chain, but the one near Henrietta has a really great atmosphere, is very clean, and has great food

I will update (hopefully) as I remember/figure out others. If you're ever in Rochester, I would definitely say make the effort to try the first 4 (seeing as how you can get Red Robin at different places across the country).

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rochester, NY

Nick Tahou's Hots - Home of the Garbage Plate
icon10.gif

Gitsis - just an awesome little diner, open 24/7 everyday of the year (at least I believe everyday); really really quick service, food that just makes you go "Mmm," and a familiar-feeling atmosphere

Rochester Hots - Down the street from Gitsis actually, great dogs and such; also, a nice vegetarian menu

Tom Whals - Best. Burger. EVER. (and I know/LOVE burgers); and AWESOME Rootbeer (they make it themselves) -- originally out of Avon, NY they are a great burger joint with a 50'-60's era theme/decor, but not in a tacky way. Another awesome place

Red Robin - I know that this is a chain, but the one near Henrietta has a really great atmosphere, is very clean, and has great food

I will update (hopefully) as I remember/figure out others. If you're ever in Rochester, I would definitely say make the effort to try the first 4 (seeing as how you can get Red Robin at different places across the country).

I hope my friend goes to URoch so I can try Nick's. I'm dying to try the garbage plate :p

Feb 10, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 44
Fayetteville, NC

#1) Sherefe, a Mediterranean Grill. The only truly authentic Turkish restaurant anywhere in the area. Best food ever, if I could eat their food every day I would. Very consistent as well, been there many times and the food is delectable as always.

#2) Fullers Buffet. Country style buffet, with quite a few vegetarian options. Excellent quality food for the price, for everyone.

#3) Mi Casita. Some great Mexican food, the fajitas are to die for :drool:

#4) Zorba's. Known for their famous Gyro, and their breakfast is excellent. Can't be beat for the price, a filling breakfast is around $4 with coffee.

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahahaha, QFT. Gotta have a hoagie? Then you gottahava Wawa.

Damn straight. UPenn eh? If you see my ex next year, tell her to get hit by a bus. Thanks :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back