Post pics of your solder joints: reference thread for DIYs
Mar 29, 2005 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
post some pics of you solder joints regardin cabling or boards or what have you, and explain what is in the pic, maybe new DIYers can use the pics as a reference when soldering.

here are mine.

Switchcraft 35hdrann Right Angle TRA mini
solderra.jpg

Neutrik 1/8" mini
solderminifinal.jpg

Canare f-9 RCA connector
solderrca.jpg

solderrca2.jpg

Neutrik XLR
c886bce3.jpg

have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 77
RnB180, nice pics. I hope this thread gets more posts for the good pictures of connectors as much as the solder joints! Seldom can one get a good glimpse of specific parts without having to buy each and every one.

Mar 29, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 77
boy... your work is marvellous! *cough*... i'll come back later.. give me... say.. half a year.. minimum..
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 77
This thread is a great idea, especially for the beginner DIYers that don't even know what a good solder joint should look like *cough* myself *cough*.

Any solder joint pictures could be helpful, whether they be cableing, board mounts, or what have you.

-John

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 77
That looks better than the best I have ever produced
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Here is how it is NOT to be done
tongue.gif

my first p2p job. I have built a MINT before this...wasnt this terrible to look at
tongue.gif
PCBs make life so much easier...

finishedboard1S.jpg

Click here for larger image : LARGE

eek.gif

LOL

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 77
Here's my "bad" example - note that all of these were, in fact, functional joints but ugly as all getout!

medium.jpg

And here's an example of better protoboard joints on the next cmoy i did:

38059460.jpg

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 77
My first try at surface mount soldering with a $120 Weller WESD51, magnifier, good light, and thin solder, looked like this:

VirginSM.jpg

Tools make all the difference, there are cheaper irons that also make this easy.

Don't forget, you're not done until you clean the board with iso alcohol!

Mar 29, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 77
I think that the pics of the bottom of about any CMoy would be a bad example of good soldering technique. I have been modding Xbox's for a while now. I can remove and replace RAM (surface mount) and install mod chips chips. A lot of what is done on a motherboard requires very presice soldering.

I noticed when I built my 2 CMoys that solder tends to flow across connected pads which makes for a ugly, although functional, solder joint. I thought the back of my CMoy was pretty ugly. I think we should stick with pics of PCB and cables for reference.

Just my opinion.
etysmile.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 77
i did my first Cmoy with a friend and at first my solder joints were pretty bad, but once he explained that I need not fear heating up the board a little, they got real good real fast.

Here's my #1 tip for good soldering.... CLEAN YOUR TIP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. A clean tip is much better at transfering heat than a dirty one. Every time you finish a joint, clean it off. Everytime you start a new one, clean it off. I also scrape mine down with something (steel-wool, scissors, anything will do) when I start to warm up the iron.

Mar 29, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #13 of 77
Oh, also, I would like to see some good Y cable joints, and how you guys are doing that so smoothly. How do you make it look like there is no gap where the three cables meet. I've been using starquad, but would rather use GS6, but I can't figure out a way to make it astheticly pleasing.

Mar 29, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #15 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Are we critiquing soldering techniques/work here?

Are we posting solder work for amp work as well?

-Ed

sure knock yourself out, though I think it is important if you are posting what "NOT" to do make it labeled, and if its a good pic, label it also that may help noobies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back