Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Nov 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #3,556 of 5,383
I found some info on a Polish site that is informative yet easy to read. I was looking for a detail of a vdHul tip and found this photo under polarised light that shows up actual pressurelines in the record (transparent here). But I will quote the whole text (for the lazy ones here :p)
[COLOR=FF0000]Stylus Tip Shapes[/COLOR]

Conical or spherical.

This tip shape resembles the tip on a ball point pen. Because of the symmetrical design, needles with conical design are the least costly to manufacture. However, they also produce the lowest level of fidelity and the greatest record wear. This is because the contact area of the diamond is restricted to two very small points, one on each side of the diamond. This places the entire downward pressure (commonly referred to as tracking force) on the two very small areas of contact, resulting in increased record wear. Conical needles are also not conducive to accurately retrieving the smaller groove modulations that represent the higher frequencies. Conical tipped needles are best used when ruggedness and economy are the deciding factors. This type of stylus cut also minimizes the amount of surface noise, ticks, and pops that you will hear and is a good choice for those who are playing very old and beat up records.

Elliptical Diamond Tip

Also called bi-radial, this tip shape presents a knife edge to the record. This very popular tip shape provides a good balance between performance and cost. In the elliptical cut, the diamond's contact area is elongated vertically and made more narrow front to back. The greater vertical contact area distributes the tracking force over a larger area of the groove wall. This results in less pressure per square inch—hence less record wear compared to a conical shaped tip. The narrower front to back facing provides the diamond with a shape better suited to recovering smaller high frequency groove modulations.

Line Contact

Also known as "Shibata," "Hyperelliptical," "Fine Line," "Stereohedron," this shape is a further extension of the basic elliptical design. This stylus shape was originally developed in Japan and provides much greater contact with the record, offering the combination of high trackability with less record wear. Carefully aligned, this type will offer a better high frequency and improved trackability. This type of cut will give you three times the footprint area within the record groove walls as other stylus cuts. Besides lasting approximately twice as long as other styli, the Line-Contact stylus tip will significantly reduce record wear. As your records are the one part of your music collection that is irreplaceable.

Microline

Also known as "Van Den Hul," "Microedge," this is a sophisticated, computer designed diamond shaped stylus, designed to reduce skew error and the resulting harmonic distortion and phase error. Like the "Shibata," this stylus requires meticulous alignment to realize its full potential. it is currently the best stylus cut that you can buy and is the type used by the Library of Congress in their playback rooms. The graphic below demonstrates the superiority of the of the Microline stylus. One can see how there is less pressure on the record walls as well as a larger contact area.
Groove.jpg

I don't quite agree with the comment on the conical stylus; I don't think it is not a good choice for playing worn and beat up records, just for getting them that way! As we talked about before, getting rid of surface noise is not being unable to pick up high frequencies (throwing away the baby with the bathwater) but scanning as much clean wall as you can.

I think the 3rd (line contact) is a good comprise between setup hassle and usability and quality for DIY. The microline has to be adjusted very carefully by a knowledgeable person with the right tools (ergo; a pro).

3_stylus_typesErnieL.jpg

Some big models of different advanced modern stylus tip shapes.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3,557 of 5,383
I did a little window shopping last Saturday with #parbaked. Had fun fun fun. This turntable, although, was a little over the top.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,558 of 5,383
You gize.

Looks pretty good to me.

You got a problem?

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,560 of 5,383
It's a good table, but the vertical frontpanel irritates me. Why do they have to use the same cliché form when any honest design lets form follow function. It's not like it has to go in a cabinet like the other cases. And another thing: however good and solid, durable, sans compromis and built to last it is, my simple setup beats it. Just because it is so simple. I've heard it in combination with the Focal Stella Utopia. But that doesn't necessarily have any bearing on this turntable. And is like any listening experience; subjective.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,563 of 5,383
  http://www.mrporter.com/en-ca/mens/band_of_outsiders/mackintosh-bonded-cotton-pullover-jacket-/507179?cm_mmc=ProductSearch{ifpla:pLA}{ifdyn:DYNMRKT}-_-CA-_-Clothing-_-Coats_And_Jackets

507179_mrp_in_l.jpg

It is Mackintosh, Scottish heritage firm , not Mcintosh, American manufacturer of audio. BTW, I DO like some of Mcintosh products, despite their appearence,  the cream of the crop perhaps being MR71 tuner - which I wish I could afford. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,564 of 5,383

So much hate and McIntosh is still here.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #3,565 of 5,383
Clayton and I were actually at an invite-only McIntosh event at the San Francisco dealer.
Charlie Randall (President of McIntosh) was there with an army of salespeople.
I was shocked at the poor build quality of the new pieces.
They look and feel cheap, especially the new headphone amp.
The D100 on display had a visibly crooked volume knob...what?
Both vinyl set-ups sounded bad - one sounded thin; one sounded compressed.

The new cans sounded good enough.

The store had a few vintage amps and receivers out as well.
The old stuff even smelt better....

I was disappointed. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #3,566 of 5,383
Not hate, personal lack of attraction. That's different. It's a bit like Rolls Royce. Come to think of it, a lot like RR. And before the computer age a mac was a proverbial raincoat. At least that's what I learned in English class many, many, many years ago. That's why I still write colourful (catch the extra 'u'?) oldfashioned English. :p Oh, and Mc stands for the clan to which a person or family belongs. Spelled Mac should be an anglicism, making McIntosh the more authentic spelling. Unfortunately it's an American company which makes it a lot less authentic. Not like Linn which is a true Scottish brand. That's why they like to substitute k for c and i for y. Hence the 'kinki' mat.

About the McTT (not a burger) it is quite an understated product if you look past the fascia. No drill-platform, no 'look at me' feet or hang-bridge suspension, no 12 belts. Just a simple looking arm next to a thick acrylic platter.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,567 of 5,383
About the McTT (not a burger) it is quite "quiet" and understated product if you look past the fascia. No drill-platform, no 'look at me' feet or hang-bridge suspension, no 12 belts. Just a simple looking arm next to a thick acrylic platter.

It has a big blue meter to tell you what speed you're spinning!

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #3,568 of 5,383
Not hate, personal lack of attraction. That's different. It's a bit like Rolls Royce. Come to think of it, a lot like RR. And before the computer age a mac was a proverbial raincoat. At least that's what I learned in English class many, many, many years ago. That's why I still write colourful (catch the extra 'u'?) oldfashioned English.
tongue.gif
Oh, and Mc stands for the clan to which a person or family belongs. Spelled Mac should be an anglicism, making McIntosh the more authentic spelling. Unfortunately it's an American company which makes it a lot less authentic. Not like Linn which is a true Scottish brand. That's why they like to substitute k for c and i for y. Hence the 'kinki' mat.

About the McTT (not a burger) it is quite and understated product if you look past the fascia. No drill-platform, no 'look at me' feet or hang-bridge suspension, no 12 belts. Just a simple looking arm next to a thick acrylic platter.

Just pulling your chain, although there can't be anything more authentic American hi-fi than McIntosh.

Nov 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #3,569 of 5,383
Not hate, personal lack of attraction. That's different. It's a bit like Rolls Royce. Come to think of it, a lot like RR. And before the computer age a mac was a proverbial raincoat. At least that's what I learned in English class many, many, many years ago. That's why I still write colourful (catch the extra 'u'?) oldfashioned English.
tongue.gif
Oh, and Mc stands for the clan to which a person or family belongs. Spelled Mac should be an anglicism, making McIntosh the more authentic spelling. Unfortunately it's an American company which makes it a lot less authentic. Not like Linn which is a true Scottish brand. That's why they like to substitute k for c and i for y. Hence the 'kinki' mat.

About the McTT (not a burger) it is quite and understated product if you look past the fascia. No drill-platform, no 'look at me' feet or hang-bridge suspension, no 12 belts. Just a simple looking arm next to a thick acrylic platter.

Very well said. Thanks for the explanation regarding the "surplus" u - I *guess* that makes me old fashioned too ( being constantly reminded of that surplus u by the PC ...)

After all the stir this photo has created, I did check online what the fuss behind yet another McIntosh greenish/blueish fascia is all about. And to my astonishment and amazement, it turns out to be quite a clever piece of engineering, in a way sort of a lower cost tribute to the Platine Verdier - with a twist; both platter and arm "float" on magnet repulsion system. 

But that facade is totally out of sync with everything I associate with a turntable - I might grundgigly accept it, provided it is free and I am allowed to remove it faster than the rise time of the fastest phono cartridge ever made ...

My other design related displeasure are blue LEDs. Whenever possible, I replace them with green - if not, I will insist on covering/hiding the damn thing sporting them.

NO kidding.

Nov 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #3,570 of 5,383
Oops, that was a typo. I meant 'quite an understated product'. Not and... Very much like a RR. There is a lot under the hood that you don't see, flawlesly executed to ensure years of great performance. That makes it quiet too, like a Rolls. I just hope they adopted an acrylic platter over a delrin or aluminium platter for technical reasons and not to be able to light it up with a blue-green led.
I change all my leds to purple because I'm gay. I mean, uh ... my brother always cheated me out of the purple armies playing risk and now I can take any colour I like. :D Well, no, it's the newest led colour and it's hip. Changing them makes it look like I have a choice and I can make them any colour I damn well like. Got it? Yeah!

Edit: I just realised the one I heard was the MT5, not this MT10. Funny, the MT10 comes with an McCartridge. (bad pun. Sometimes I don't read what it says but what first comes to mind). :p I like the MT5 better from a financial and aesthetic point of view. I already posted pictures in this thread 11/2/13 #2516

Focal Stella Utopia loudspeakers, McIntosh C500 tube preamp, D100 d/a-converter, MC601 600W monoblocks and the MT5 TT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back