Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Nov 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #2,551 of 5,383
If they have a Pioneer PL-530, 550, or 570, and it's working well, that would be a nice match for your other gear, and those are nice TTs.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,552 of 5,383
Thanks Rob. They do have a pl-530. I'll plan to go down tomorrow if possible and give it a good once over. 

Edit..also a 570

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2,553 of 5,383
I like the 570 better, myself. But check those two out. Either one, if fully working, is a snap to set up with just a little bit of effort. But wouldn't the shop install a decent cartridge for you when you buy it? Or is it not an audio shop?

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #2,555 of 5,383

Well, if you want to learn to swim, you (usually) have to get wet ...

If you start with anything reasonable priced - and even if you break something along the way - not too much damage done. You can learn on inexpensive equipment the basics almost as well as on ultra high end gear - where thought of breaking the cart in the 5 figures really is not for the faint at heart.

A practical advice from a British reviewer : " ..... I mounted XY cartridge perfectly in 2 hours when sober  - and in 15 minutes after a good shot of scotch ...."
biggrin.gif

Great for the kitchen too!

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #2,558 of 5,383
Mark that's a beauty!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,559 of 5,383
  What happened to the "From the Cube" series??!?! 

I *guess* I decided to digest those LP Private style first. 

Although I do enjoy chatting about several different recordings of the same work ( in those cube there were plenty examples of those...), I would like to point out that first they have to be:

1. Scout listened using low cost but still good quality cart - for any "boobytraps" that might threaten damage to $$$ cart. I did find one ... so far.
2. In case of double/multiple recordings of the same work, at least semi-decent opinion regarding  performances must be formed
3. Music does take time to sink in - you can not force it. Ever got 77 (cube) plus 27 ( scout cube ) LPs within a month ?
4. I have to work. This is the most intensive time for recordings yet. Listening to LPs is a luxury I can ill afford at the time - in the summer, where there is      (next to ) zero activity in recording, I can be prone to ooch and aach about performance quality, about recording quality, about mastering quality, about pressing quality, etc - but at the moment it is not possible with the attention this record collection from the Cube and its late owner deserve - he must have been dedicated music lover. I value and respect that and do not want to take it lightly.

So - to be continued

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #2,561 of 5,383
I was curious about those Pioneer TT's. From a picture it looks nice and capable. But when I found this picture it reveals a stark truth. It says little about the functionality but much about marketing (and lack of engineering pride?).

This triggers some personal emotion for me, it makes me sad. No pride of ownership, aging people in old houses falling apart full of old junk.

So, for contrast: Pioneer PLC-590 with a Stanton 681EEE on an Infinity Blackwidow tonearm :D

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #2,562 of 5,383
I was curious about those Pioneer TT's. From a picture it looks nice and capable. But when I found this picture it reveals a stark truth. It says little about the functionality but much about marketing (and lack of engineering pride?).

This triggers some personal emotion for me, it makes me sad. No pride of ownership, aging people in old houses falling apart full of old junk.

The original vinyl veneer looked very nice back in the day, but it often hasn't held up well.

However, here is MY PL-570, same TT as above, but with a real walnut veneer:

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,563 of 5,383
So, for contrast: Pioneer PLC-590 with a Stanton 681EEE on an Infinity Blackwidow tonearm
biggrin.gif

First thought that entered my mind: Is the lowly Stanton 681 worthy of being mounted on such an arm? (I had the 680 EE on my PL-518, and I wasn't impressed with it).

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,564 of 5,383

First thought that entered my mind: Is the lowly Stanton 681 worthy of being mounted on such an arm? (I had the 680 EE on my PL-518, and I wasn't impressed with it).

IIRC very few cartridges work well on that super low mass arm, but don't recall if that Stanton was one of them...

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #2,565 of 5,383
Checked vinylengine, and yes the 681EEE is a high-compliance cart, best for tonearms in the 4 gram to 16 gram range according to the chart. My mistake.

The Ortofon OM40 might be a good match as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back