++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]
Oct 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 190
Thanks Doc. I thought that may come across as confusing. by ear plug Im referring to a piercing 00gauge on my lobe, thought it may get in the way. Ill wait to see what the k550 is like, im in no rush. 

I like the home and IEM combo idea with amp. anything to compliment the TF10 with (portable amp/equalizer) or something.

im going to check into the ms400. I havent read that thread yet. You say they high hats may not come in so well though? Is there a can i can get a good balance with?

Well I have the DT1350 coming in also now but that will be next week. That one is going to be more sparkly. It is an on ear. I'll let you know how the comfort is on those too and if i think they will conflict with the gigantic foreign objects in your lobes! The full sized one I recommended for home use (DT880) is nice and balanced you will hear those hats pretty distinctly. I saw that KG Jag recommended to someone in the full sized thread the HD650 to someone as a good fun sounding rock phone but that's getting up there in overall budget. I can't say I have never tried them. You could try that thread for more suggestions. I can only recommend what I try and some of those dudes have tried just about everything.

Im really thinking these K550's might be your ticket though because if you have the plugs the ear hole on the K550 is humungous and it might be most comfortable for you. Ill let you know on Sat or Sun once I hear them.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 190
Quote:
Well I have the DT1350 coming in also now but that will be next week. That one is going to be more sparkly. It is an on ear. I'll let you know how the comfort is on those too and if i think they will conflict with the gigantic foreign objects in your lobes!

You person lol! I was highly obsessing over the DT1350's for quite a spell, and then I was very relieved to discover the S500 because I wasn't really prepared to shell out $300 for cans yet. And now here you go, getting the DT1350's. I hate you (but in a good way!).

Seriously, that's awesome, and I will be very interested in your opinion. Please please please hate them!
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #18 of 190
You person lol! I was highly obsessing over the DT1350's for quite a spell, and then I was very relieved to discover the S500 because I wasn't really prepared to shell out $300 for cans yet. And now here you go, getting the DT1350's. I hate you (but in a good way!).

Seriously, that's awesome, and I will be very interested in your opinion. Please please please hate them! :wink:

Ha ha! Now now. When I tell you I got them open box for $200 you are really gunna hate me :)

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #19 of 190
Quote:
Ha ha! Now now. When I tell you I got them open box for $200 you are really gunna hate me
smily_headphones1.gif

Naw, just admire you that much more! Great deal!

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #21 of 190
Added link to Innerfidelity's wall of fame and Stereophile's glossary to the OP (suggested by Joker. Thanks great idea!)

Oct 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 190
Are there any IEMS that have a similar sound to the JVC HA-S500 in a similar price point?

And if not what are some really nice bassy in-ears that still have good clarity and a fun sound for uner 100$?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #23 of 190
I have a pair of Klipsch Image S4s, but my biggest problem is the sibilance with them and how they feel overwhelmed by some music like they don't have enough seperation.  How do they compare to the X10s, do they have the same problems?

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #24 of 190
Quote:
Are there any IEMS that have a similar sound to the JVC HA-S500 in a similar price point?

And if not what are some really nice bassy in-ears that still have good clarity and a fun sound for uner 100$?

Thanks!

Bassy IEMs with good clarity ----> Look into the PFE 012,  Fischer Audio Eternas, JVC HA-FXD80. Have no experience with the S500s you mentioned.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #25 of 190

Thanks!

Hey invalid404. Yea the FXD80 that TwinQY just mentioned is referred many times in this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612299/jvcs-micro-hd-line-revamped-for-2012-ha-fxd80-70-60

as being very similar to the JVS HA S500. They run about 100 bucks.

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 190
Hi All

I'm thinking to get an new pair of in-ear headphones. I've got now a-jays which cost about 20 Euros here in France ( about 30$ ) they're well  known godd products in this price range.  but I would like to upgrade in order to approach as near as possible the sound quality of my home equipment ( Ultrasone HFI-2400 and Vintage AKG K242 sextett amped by an asgard and/or Fiio e17 ) .

I use iem in public transports, in holidays and when I travel. So my IEM must be rock solid and/or have a rock solid travel case.

I think to spend no more to 150$ and would very pleased to get approximatively the same sound signature than my Ultrasone ( Good bass but not overwhelming , clarity and details , good soundstage ) .. I listen to mainly instrumental music so mids aren't my priority.

I'm thinking to Shure se215. They're well reviewed everywhere.  Is this a good idea ? Other good option to consider ?

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #28 of 190
Thanks doc. I have a feeling the on ear ones are going to annoy my gigantic foreign object in my lobes. lol. are you going to report the results on this thread?
yessir. If i dont, pls pm me and remind me!!!

Edit: Ok I have been listening to the K550 for a while now and I am really enjoying them. Very balanced sound. I do NOT think you will enjoy these. Based on what you said on the other forum, they are not bassy enough for you. On your full sized (which hopefully you get more answers over there) it sounds like you are asking for comfy, bassy, detailed trebble and closed.... You are asking for the Beyer DT770. The only thing missing is a shorter cable for portable. That's why I was thinking you might want IEM's for portable and the full sized. If you are recording with them as a musician I would take them above the 880 as the isolation will be better. I am pretty sure that is the can you are looking for.

The TF10's would be nice for the IEM for your use IMO.

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #30 of 190
No prob invalid404

Thanks doc. I have a feeling the on ear ones are going to annoy my gigantic foreign object in my lobes. lol. are you going to report the results on this thread?

Johnny scratch what I said about the K550 above. Listening more.... Now powering them from my Fiio E11 with bass switch on 1. Amazing sound. These have balance. Great mids and smooth but detailed highs. Drawback -- ears do get hot after extended listening and headband starts to put pressure on the top of my head but supremely comfy on the ears. . Beyer DT770 will be much better in that respect. Both phones will cover your ears nicely and your "hardware" installed in your ears won't be a problem. I think it is basically one of those two for you. I don't know of another can that has a wide soundstage like these two in a closed can that will meet your needs. So if you want a more "fun" v shaped sound -- go for the 770 (mids are not absent either so don't get mislead) if you want a more mid centered phone with detail and more balance un eq'd get the 550. In both cases I recommend the e11 portable amp. You could get the E10 dac/amp for now for your laptop. Both cans respond well to the bass boost on the e11. The 770 better than the 550.

The K550 I could see using as a portable over the 770 as a note, but again I think you should get a seperate IEM for portable or an on ear but we decided those will hurt too much.

Feel free to peruse through Joker's iem comparrison thread to get ideas. Like I said the TF10 is a fun sounding IEM that is good for the money. The only issue is the barrel is quite large and if you have small ear canals the TF10 will be uncomfortable.

Other 100 dollar'ish IEMs to get in combo with the above.... JVC FXD80, SE215, CKM99 (v bassy)

The end... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back