"Portable Headphone Amp for LCD2 Headphones (I know this has been done BUT..)
Jul 24, 2013 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Wyd4

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I know this has been touched on on more than a couple of occasions, however all the posts i could find were quite old. I have just acquired a pair of LCD2 (Rev 1). I have currently got an e17 Fiio, which was fine for my Senn Momentums and Vmoda LP2's, which really didnt need any amplification anyway. I dont think it will cut it with these, though I only got them today, so I am yet to have a good listen. I am after an amp that I can apprectiate the LCD's at moderate to low volumes, as well as loud (if I am right, has enough power to move them without ramping the volume sky high). A recommendation from another thread was the JDS Labs Objective 2. How do you guys/girls feel this matches the LCD and do you think it will power them sufficiently. I know this isnt a "lets go for a jog" type amp, but neither are the headphones. I just want something I can use in a car (not driving) and easily move from work to home etc, without having to take an AC adapter with me everywhere. My budget is fairly tight at this point, so I guess I am after something that is in that sweet spot between performance and price. Thanks for any advice in advance. It is always appreciated. Scott

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 4
You may have been better off spending the budget on a lower price headphone and better DAC/amp pairing but anyway see: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574616/the-audeze-lcd-2-ortho-thread-new/5280#post_9572630

Hi there,
I was considering some cheaper orthos like he400 ertc, however these come up at a price I couldn't knock back.
This has left me chasing my tail of sorts as far as getting the most out of them.
I actually had a chance to crank them up in the car (parked) when I got out of work and I must say, though I know the amp/DAC of the e17 will be holding them back, I was impressed with the sound. Not $1000 headphone impressed but even on the sub par amp they saw my other phones put to shame quite easily.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 4
the C&C XO2 is1 watt per channel I think with close to 24 volt swing. Apparently good battery life also. It's supposed to sound a bit warm though not many folks have it here. There is a good link here for some info
Page 3 has a bold text impression with the LCD2 and also the RSA Hornet amp and maybe that guy has a follow up later can't recall.
It's an option that may power those decently.  As far as pairing there no idea. See what you think it is the only in depth review really around other than some minor few impressions in here.
 You can look through the C&C BH thread ( model below it ) for some also maybe.
 I've not tried the XO2.

hope some more suggestions pop in for you. Check in if you think or find something else worthy. Bet there's a bunch of suggestions in some of the LCD2 threads also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back