Portable Amp for K701's
Oct 23, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #32 of 56
Well ASR I was just waiting for you to post my setup but alas this appears to be one not on your list but I think you would enjoy my ASL MG Head DT/OTL mk III with 701's which are fed by a Carin Fog:)

My next step is upgraded cables but now once again it's decision time and so many so little time:-0

I'm sure lots of port amps will drive the 701's just fine but like the changing of cables everything makes a difference at this level.

I know Boom has excited Computerstud in the trend thread about this but I too don't believe there is a SR-71 size or smaller portable out there that will touch my amp/701 combo. That would go double for RSA's Raptor:wink:

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhearthecowZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even the best RSA model (forget it's name) will drive it decently? I realize I won't get the same as a home amp (which I intend to buy, the old one I had from my dad got busted).

I have to disagree here as the Raptor is a Rolls Royce compared to my ASL but for the price point ratio the ASL kicks up a little dust and rattles the dog out of my ear mites
wink.gif

Trying to pull a rabbit out of my hat right now as Ray has 11 left of the Silver finish Raptors, come on Power Ball
blink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but even the Onkyo DX-7555 to Corda Opera is just the beginning of the K701's abilities. edited..I can even easily use the K701 to monitor the differences between power cords and interconnects - how many headphones can do that? And I know without a doubt that I haven't heard yet everything it can do!

Now I've heard all that stuff, and then when I come here to Head-Fi and see people coasting by with iPods and portable amps for the K701, it just makes me sad.
frown.gif

I understand what you are saying.and even with the gear that you started with you went on to better things. That continued to improve your 701 experience. How would you have felt if some told you NOT to buy that 600 dollar CD player and 600 dollar amp, because it wont bring out "THE BEST" in your K701's Thats whats being suggested here with the portables. You have to crawl before you walk.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #35 of 56
Quote:

Not even the best RSA model (forget it's name) will drive it decently? I realize I won't get the same as a home amp (which I intend to buy, the old one I had from my dad got busted).

You can't get blood out of a stone, saying...NO!

I have and like my SR-71 (Ray's best portable), but it won't drive the K701s. Again, you can get a Heed Canamp for about the same price, around $325 used. I had the Hornet, and it also cannot drive the K701s. I don't know a portable that can. There are modestly priced home amps that will be better. Why buy great headphones then choose to make them sound cheap when for the same price (still a small footprint for your purposes) you can make them sound good. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #36 of 56
Indeed, but there's a certain camp here that seems to be repeating the claim that portable amps and K701 work great together, when they really don't. Not that there's anything wrong with pairing portable amps with headphones of its caliber (heck I do it too, though not very often - and only for reviews it seems), but portable amps and K701 do NOT go together like some people here think they do. Granted, when I first got my K701, I had a Little Dot Micro+ and Xin SuperMini-III at the time off a cheap DVDP. (Shudder.) But my goals were a bit different compared to some other people's here - portability wasn't a concern, just price. I actually have no recollection of why I started with portable amps - back when I started out the Gilmore Lite was the one amp that looked really great but I didn't want to spend that much.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But my goals were a bit different compared to some other people's here - portability wasn't a concern, just price. I actually have no recollection of why I started with portable amps - back when I started out the Gilmore Lite was the one amp that looked really great but I didn't want to spend that much.
wink.gif

This is why it's important to consider the OP's main goals in considering a portable amp. I think everyone already knows that a portable amp is not the ideal set up for K701, but let's also consider the OP's goals and price point.

For example, the OP wants an amp that he can take to his GF's house, so that places some constraints on how large the amp and power supply can be. Perhaps a true portable amp won't be the best solution, but maybe something transportable with a small footprint. There are many such amps that fit this description. Of course, no one is suggesting that the setup will go anywhere near the K701's limits, but I don't think that was the OP's original intent anyway.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

I want the best 'value' here, not the best of the best. I want to bring out the best in my cans without breaking the bank (even preferably saving the bank).

Let's keep this in mind before this post gets derailed.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why it's important to consider the OP's main goals in considering a portable amp. I think everyone already knows that a portable amp is not the ideal set up for K701, but let's also consider the OP's goals and price point.

For example, the OP wants an amp that he can take to his GF's house, so that places some constraints on how large the amp and power supply can be. Perhaps a true portable amp won't be the best solution, but maybe something transportable with a small footprint. There are many such amps that fit this description. Of course, no one is suggesting that the setup will go anywhere near the K701's limits, but I don't think that was the OP's original intent anyway.

I completely agree which is why I suggested a small home amp, with a very small footprint (also could be carried fairly easily) that is cheaper than most good portables. The Canamp is a true bang for the buck amp, with known synergy with the K701s, that should make him happy for a long time.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

Where can I find a Lisa III? Google isn't helping and I'm not really a DIY kinda guy. This is really my first foray into the hi-fi world because I got the K701's dirt cheap from a friend.

I don't think the Lisa III is currently available, but should be again soon. Just do a search on this forum for the big thread on the Lisa III.

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the Lisa III is currently available, but should be again soon. Just do a search on this forum for the big thread on the Lisa III.

Wow, seems super-nice but I don't have that much to throw around right now.
I really wish I did. Maybe sometime in the not-to-distant future
580smile.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

I want it to be portable because I don't want it to a fixed placement in my house. ...I have a LOD for my iPod already and the K701's. I realize I won't get the best sound out of them, but for now the portable is the best option. Rather than having a home amp that I would use 1/10 as much.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me; get a portable amp and get some use out of your 701s. One day when you find the cash get a home amp and get more out of them. It makes more sense than not using (or selling) the 701s to adhere to other posters opinions on what is an appropriate use of them. It's your ears and your budget you have to please in the end.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #45 of 56
Well, thanks to the responses in this thread I have come to two conclusions. I have significantly lowered my choices down, and I have decided to let my K701's shine by getting them a dedicated home rig
580smile.gif
I'll worry about that after christmas or when I get a few more paychecks. He he.

The choices I have narrowed it down to are:
1) Practical Audio XM4
2) Mini^3
3) Corda Headsix

Which do you think would give me the best value (relatively) with my K701's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back