Portable Amp for K701's
Oct 23, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #16 of 56
I would say the HeadRoom Micro. When I had it it was fairly warm with my HD650s, and the K701s are a bit cold. The Micro's warmth will even it out. K701 was very appealing with the Micro next to the HD650, almost bought them, but then discussions of my CKK3 began, and another pair wasnt too reasonable.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #17 of 56
My comment is for your future plan to add Lisa iii in your list.
Based on my true experience, I've tested this power sucker cans with Lisa iii and this combo turned out to be so good in sounding. Lisa iii can drive (and rock) 701 with quality out of them.

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #19 of 56
If you want the best value, I would say that ATM it would be the mini3. you can get it for 125$ from rockhopperaudio and it will probably match other amps in the 250$ range.(witha different sound signature obviously) That's the beauty of DIY.

You could also try to find a mini3fied PINT in the FS forums.

I heard the K701's through mine in the headfest 07 and I was amazed at how well it drove the K701. It will also drive any other IEM and most full sized cans well to moderate volume levels.( enough for loud listening but not for ear blasting listening and that's good actually, it will save your ears)

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #20 of 56
The mini cubed looks really solid, however, one thing is of concern to me. The battery life. They say 10 hours run time, that seems very low to me. I would like to see it at minimum 20 for travel (or even just for some days when I work>10 hours)

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #22 of 56
Do you already have the K701, or is it merely a plan for now? If it's only a plan, then I'd suggest looking into a different headphone. And if you plan on amping from an iPod, you should also get a line-out adapter if you haven't already. If this is just going to be a transportable rig, then the K701 doesn't make a whole lot of sense - and it's open so it leaks sound quite a bit.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #23 of 56
I just got my D1 yesterday and it sound really good with my 701's, especially using the onboard DAC.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #24 of 56
Sorry to disagree, but there is no portable amp yet made that can make the K701s sound as they should. That's not to say, you won't get okay volume and okay sound, but if you're interested in the K701 sound, save your money and buy an amp that was meant to drive them, or by different headphones that aren't as needy.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to disagree, but there is no portable amp yet made that can make the K701s sound as they should. That's not to say, you won't get okay volume and okay sound, but if you're interested in the K701 sound, save your money and buy an amp that was meant to drive them, or by different headphones that aren't as needy.

I dont think anyone who wants to pair a portable with the K701's is looking or the absoulte best the 701's can put out. They are looking for sound better than what the DAP is going to give while still maintaining so form of mobility.

That is to say.. I know a Pico/Headsix/M^3...etc hook up to a DAP (Imod..etc) isnt going to sound as good as say a Onkyo DX-755 CDP hooked to a Corda Opera. That set up will give you the most out of the 701's BUT. a DAP running Lossless audio line out to a good portable, will give you much better sound than just the DAP alone, and still allow you some freedom.

Personally. My 701's never leave the house. But There are times when I dont want to be sitting 10 feet away from the home rig, and I dont want to move the home rig into another room. This is where K701's and a portable amp come into play for me. It's a lot cheaper than having a dedicated rig in every room. Im lucky I can get away with one. The WAF is low on that to begin with..no way she would let me have two or three...lol

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #26 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally. My 701's never leave the house. But There are times when I dont want to be sitting 10 feet away from the home rig, and I dont want to move the home rig into another room. This is where K701's and a portable amp come into play for me. It's a lot cheaper than having a dedicated rig in every room.

I concur. My standard K701 rig is music to my ears, but I don't want to move the entire rig around all the time. So sometimes I unplug the K701 and bring it to bed and plug it into my Headsix being fed by a laptop. I think the point here is to see how much enjoyment you can get out of what you have, without having to constantly rearrange your room every time you want to begin listening.

I'm still a little puzzled about why the OP wants the K701 rig to be portable but I'm sure there's a good reason for that =)

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #28 of 56
I want it to be portable because I don't want it to a fixed placement in my house. I want to be able to move it from my computer to my x-box to my guitar rig(for the evening) and all around the house without moving a big headphone amp. Plus, being portable it allows me much versatility, which is a HUGE plus to me. For instance, if I'm at my GF's house and she decides to crack down on some homework and I can whip this out and relax. Portability is a huge, huge, huge plus for me. I'm not stationary that often (not like I'm out jogging or exercising with this rig, lol) But I do take it on the occasional relaxing walk, or to the park and such and sit around and relax.
I know, I know I should get something like IEM's for that, but I just can't take it and to me doesn't compare at all. (One day when I have more money I might splurge on some SE500's...but not now).

I have a LOD for my iPod already and the K701's. I realize I won't get the best sound out of them, but for now the portable is the best option. Rather than having a home amp that I would use 1/10 as much.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndskyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is to say.. I know a Pico/Headsix/M^3...etc hook up to a DAP (Imod..etc) isnt going to sound as good as say a Onkyo DX-755 CDP hooked to a Corda Opera. That set up will give you the most out of the 701's BUT. a DAP running Lossless audio line out to a good portable, will give you much better sound than just the DAP alone, and still allow you some freedom.

Sorry but even the Onkyo DX-7555 to Corda Opera is just the beginning of the K701's abilities. I owned the Arcam DiVA CD73 (pretty similar to the DX-7555 in some aspects) and GS-1 with the K701 at one point. Since then I've heard the stock-corded K701 on Arcam FMJ CD33 ($2.5K SRP), Audio Aero Prima ($2.2K SRP), Ayre CX-7e ($3K SRP). I've heard a Mogami-recabled K701 on Primare CD31 ($2.3K SRP). I've heard Equinox-recabled K701 on that Arcam FMJ CD33 and now a really expensive, high-end boutique-branded CDP (via singled-ended so far though). Amps I've heard on K701 include the HeadAmp GS-1 ($750) and GS-X ($1800), Cayin HA-1A ($800), Singlepower Square Wave ($1K) & Extreme ($1K), Eddie Current EC/SS ($430), Heed Audio CanAmp ($450), and Lehmann Black Cube Linear ($780). The most high-end combo I've heard on the K701 so far was Arcam FMJ CD33 and Audio Aero Prima to GS-X (single-ended) and Primare CD31 to GS-X (balanced). The sound from all three pairings was amazing, yes. But at the top of the K701's abilities? No way. The limit of the K701, especially when re-cabled, is extremely high - higher than most people could believe! I can even easily use the K701 to monitor the differences between power cords and interconnects - how many headphones can do that? And I know without a doubt that I haven't heard yet everything it can do!

Now I've heard all that stuff, and then when I come here to Head-Fi and see people coasting by with iPods and portable amps for the K701, it just makes me sad.
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #30 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhearthecowZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want it to be portable because I don't want it to a fixed placement in my house. I want to be able to move it from my computer to my x-box to my guitar rig(for the evening) and all around the house without moving a big headphone amp. Plus, being portable it allows me much versatility, which is a HUGE plus to me. For instance, if I'm at my GF's house and she decides to crack down on some homework and I can whip this out and relax. Portability is a huge, huge, huge plus for me. I'm not stationary that often (not like I'm out jogging or exercising with this rig, lol) But I do take it on the occasional relaxing walk, or to the park and such and sit around and relax.
I know, I know I should get something like IEM's for that, but I just can't take it and to me doesn't compare at all. (One day when I have more money I might splurge on some SE500's...but not now).

I have a LOD for my iPod already and the K701's. I realize I won't get the best sound out of them, but for now the portable is the best option. Rather than having a home amp that I would use 1/10 as much.

I completely understand, and have four portables and small home amps for the same reason. Don't go portable with the 701s. You can get a Heed Canmp, or something similar, with a really small footprint, that you can easily move from room to room, and will be a much better option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back