Popular Classical Music
Feb 11, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #8,597 of 8,745
Yippee! 501,000 views on this thread!

4F1A2F5BCBF84DF78E009A02C1A7B6D5435CCA66

1707639928159.png

Violinist Esther Yoo plays 'Souvenir d'Amérique' (Memory of America) by Henri Vieuxtemps as an encore.

The Sunday Morning Concert on September 3, 2023 in the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #8,600 of 8,745

Schubert Symphony No 9 C major The Great Seiji Ozawa Saito Kinen Orchestra​

The Great Seiji Ozawa "checked out" at the honorable age of 88 years very recently. I will never forget him, especially his conducting Berlioz' Requiem at the Salzburg Festival , Summer of 1969 if my memory serves me right? Could have been 1968 too. Anyway one of the most amazing live concerts I have ever attended. Rex Tremende Majestatis almost raised the roof of the sold out Grosses Festspielhaus. And Ozawa's mentor Karajan and his "Trophy Wife" Eliette where only a few rows from me and my girlfriend. Basically the whole audience turned around and looked at them when they entered stately just before the conductor Ozawa came on stage.
Strangely enough Karajan did not ever ?conduct the Berlioz Requiem. Nor am I aware of any recording of it by Ozawa either. But I have all his Ravel BSO recordings on DGG .
Ozawa/ Berlioz Requiem,hidden in the Austrian Radio Archives maybe?
Cheers
CC

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #8,603 of 8,745
Yesterday I attended an amazing concert. I do not have the time or money for all the concerts that I would like to attend. In this case, I was was very fortunate because I was invited. The concert included an excellent program: Beethoven’s Pastoral in the first part and Stravinsky’s The rite of spring. On the podium Orozco-Estrada, an excellent conductor. I remember I saw him in 2022 in an all Beethoven program, a great concert with the Wiener Symphoniker. Last night he was conducting another great orquestra: the SWR Stuttgart. How many great orchestras do the Germans have?
The first part was great. Beautiful strings and clear winds. A very good rendition of the classic. The second part was spectacular. The Rite of spring is a piece that gains so much when perfomed live. In this case it was a great show to see Orozco-Estrada conducting: jumping, dancing, a very powerful direction of the orchestra. So full of energy. This conductor shares with the public so much emotion; he transmits his passion for the music. Technically great but combined with passion. Excellent.
After a big round of applause by a packed Auditorium, Orozco-Estrada shared with the public some instructions for the encore. He has lived in Germany and Austria for a long time but he is Colombian and speaks the beautiful Spanish of that country. He told us please to refrain from applause for a few seconds after the last note of the encore. Then they played Nimrod from Elgar´s Enigma Variations. Again a piece that is very beautiful but gains so much when properly performed live. After the last note, silence and a couple of seconds and applause. It was indeed magical. Somebody said that the important parts are the silent ones?
What a night!

Here Orozco-Estrada, has a lot of videos in Youtube, specially from his time with the Hr Sinfonieorchester.

Beethoven: 6. Sinfonie (»Pastorale«) ∙ hr-Sinfonieorchester ∙ Andrés Orozco-Estrada​

Strawinsky: Le sacre du printemps ∙ hr-Sinfonieorchester ∙ Andrés Orozco-Estrada​

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #8,606 of 8,745
Luis, it is always good to hear your concert going experiences! :)

You have me very tempted to put my toe back in the water after I had stopped going due to Covid 19. I have said before, that my broken ear seems to amplify noise and the massive dynamic range of a fully fledged orchestra is just too much, that I had to wear an ear plug in my bad ear. Funnily enough, my wife and I, have not had a single sniffle of a cold or virus since before Covid. We continue to wear masks in confined spaces and public transport, etc. My wife is still very reluctant to sit cheek to jowl in a concert hall for a few hours.

Was listening to these over the weekend.

Roger Eno - Through The Blue (Piano Version / Visualizer)

Husband and wife duo, Lang Lang and Gina Alice Redlinger, play Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5, at Steinway Hall in London.

Seong-Jin Cho – Chopin: Waltz No. 2 in A-Flat Major, Op. 34 No. 1 - kiwa LIVE session

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #8,607 of 8,745
Luis, it is always good to hear your concert going experiences! :)

You have me very tempted to put my toe back in the water after I had stopped going due to Covid 19. I have said before, that my broken ear seems to amplify noise and the massive dynamic range of a fully fledged orchestra is just too much, that I had to wear an ear plug in my bad ear. Funnily enough, my wife and I, have not had a single sniffle of a cold or virus since before Covid. We continue to wear masks in confined spaces and public transport, etc. My wife is still very reluctant to sit cheek to jowl in a concert hall for a few hours.

Was listening to these over the weekend.

Roger Eno - Through The Blue (Piano Version / Visualizer)

Husband and wife duo, Lang Lang and Gina Alice Redlinger, play Brahms' Hungarian Dance No. 5, at Steinway Hall in London.

Seong-Jin Cho – Chopin: Waltz No. 2 in A-Flat Major, Op. 34 No. 1 - kiwa LIVE session

Many thanks John. The thing is to still dig the music which you clearly do!!! I went through Covid twice, the first time I ended up in the hospital (thankfully no after effects), so I can understand your worries! Nowadays I do not wear a mark anymore but some (few) still do in Madrid. There was a lot of flu recently so it is not a bad idea. It is incredible how many lives have changed after the pandemic. Thankfully we are alive and kicking!
Here something for today

Alexander Glazunov Chant du ménestrel // Principal Cello David Cohen​

Feb 21, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #8,610 of 8,745
Histoire du tango: II. Café 1930 (History of tango: II. Coffee 1930)
Trumpet: Alison Balsom
Guitar: Miloš Karadaglić
Composer: Astor Piazzolla

Users who are viewing this thread

Back