Popular Classical Music
May 25, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #46 of 8,736
Oh yes - The Lark Ascending. One of the best versions I've heard is one played by Nigel Kennedy on the CD Elgar Violin Concerto in B Minor / The Lark Ascending

Nigel Kennedy just seems to find so much space and air in that performance.

Being a confirmed YouTube junkie I often have as many as 20 or more Firefox tabs open on my PC at the same time, this sometimes leads to a total system lock up and I have to open task manager to force Firefox to close to regain control of my PC!

Coincidentally, yesterday I had Nigel Kennedy's very unusual version of the Four Seasons tab open (below) where it seems he adds a Season or two of his own,
etysmile.gif
before I had such a system lockup.

Speaking of the Lark Ascending I have posted what was thought to be the original arrangement. (below)

I heard this first one live fairly recently but not by Hilary Hahn, I can't remember her name but I think she was female but we can't take anything for granted nowadays!
tongue.gif

The Intro lasts about 5' 30"

May 26, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #47 of 8,736
The first 2 are some of my recent favourites

And for some random bits of Mozart.

Soyoung Yoon (South Korea) - 1st Prize Winner 2011
Violin: J. B. Guadagnini ex Bückeburg (1773)
Program:
W. A. Mozart: Violin Concerto in G Major KV 216 (first movement)
W. A. Mozart: first movement of Sinfonia Concertante in E flat Major KV 364/320d
Lech Bałaban - viola

May 27, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #50 of 8,736
  A couple of versions of Barber's "Adagio for Strings" that I like.  One with a string quartet and the other a cello octet.

I went to a live 10 piece cello gig last year before the main concert (NCH Dublin), it was the first time I heard so many live cellos exclusively on their own - it was rather special.

I am not sure what the pieces were but anything half decent sounds great live.

The players were arranged in a semi-circle with the lead cellist up front, it was set in darkness and each cellist was illuminated by a gentle blue light.
Good music and good memories!
biggrin.gif

angry_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Talking of cellos - Bach style.

May 30, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #52 of 8,736
I hope you all had a good weekend and are enjoying being back at work!
angry_face.gif

Another version of air, this time with an astronomical theme, though I am not sure how much air is really up there?
cool.gif

May 31, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #54 of 8,736
  I'm really loving this choral piece by Ola Gjeilo.

Yes, good stuff! just post whatever you like, this thread has no real boundary.

Slightly off piste but this one is a mixture of Classical, jazz and popular music all coming together (as it says in the description) into a big blob of lushness.
angry_face.gif
blink.gif

May 31, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #55 of 8,736
Is anyone into Female popular Opera pieces?

I personally don't care much for Opera except for the popular pieces.

Should we post them here or start a new thread?

Two as a taster, I think these are the best versions - do you agree? or have you found any better?

Edit: I changed the order of these, hopefully to soften the impact on "certain" ears!

The well known bit in this starts at 2' 25"

May 31, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #56 of 8,736
I think opera can be in it's own thread.... :veryevil:

May 31, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #58 of 8,736
Then I take it that you hear Opera a bit like this - even on the Mojo! :p

ROFL! Yeah, something like that, hahaha. That's just me though, I was really only kidding! If others like opera then by all means.

Full disclosure.... there are some opera pieces I really like, but that's a rare occurrence.

May 31, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #59 of 8,736
  Is anyone into Female popular Opera pieces?

I personally don't care much for Opera except for the popular pieces.

Should we post them here or start a new thread?

Haha, I am the same, I don't think I have the stamina to listen to an entire opera for 2-3 hrs, so like yourself I tend to listen to the more popular and individual pieces.

And I do actually prefer female over male, somehow the female voice is more melodic and when they hit those high notes it can send tingles down your spine.

Personally, I don't mind if we post opera here or a new thread, you are free to choose.

May 31, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #60 of 8,736
ROFL! Yeah, something like that, hahaha. That's just me though, I was really only kidding! If others like opera then by all means.

Full disclosure.... there are some opera pieces I really like, but that's a rare occurrence.

etysmile.gif
 I am not even sure if many on HF are into Classical, my expectations for this thread are very low and hence why I was reluctant to start it.

Even the main Classical thread has been very quiet for some time but they are at a different level, I for one just like listening to it but not to intellectualize it.

I like the pieces that tickle the hairs in the cochlea or pull those heart strings.

@wskl  I am on the same page as you - perhaps for the moment we continue to keep it a random mix of stuff and not try to keep it conventional or predictable.

I went to a concert last Friday night with her Lightness, it was one of the best ever and I will post some stuff this week when I get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back