PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Jul 30, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #3,916 of 4,866

Cost = 1 android cable (iPhone cable should also work) + another TRS cable and some heatshrink.

It may not be as good as these $295 custom cables, but as an engineer I don't feel like paying that much for wire, as more of the cost is the labor cost and mark up.

I don't get my Pono until August, so I'll have to wait to see if it is a worthwhile improvement, but I strongly suspect the majority of the balanced benefit lies in the connection, not the esoteric "unobtainium" the cable is made from.

great mod
did you have to rewire the headphone internals also?

the X2 is probably doable by a similar method
especially if the output is trrs

i think more encouragement is needed in the DIY aspect of this stuff
i've recabled 3 of my hp's for the price of a few connectors

anything dual entry (grado, HD600, 650 etc...) is easily done
single entry is a little trickier , some have a lot of room in them (fostex tr50p)
and can be modded to dual entry.

if anyone needs diy help go to the diy cable thread or PM me with a specific question

diy or die

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #3,918 of 4,866
I'm one of the few here that doesn't own expensive headphones so I can't help much there. I have $35 sennheiser HD229, $30 sennheiser HD203, and a pair of $70 Audio Technica ATHM30X at the studio, plus $8 monoprice earbuds just in case. I do most of my pono listening through speakers - bedroom, living room, office, car, rehearsal space.

I agree with you about Sony's, never liked their sound.  As you can see I like the Sennheiser cheap models. AT is my go-to headphone brand, but I don't know if they offer anything Pono-friendly.

OK I realized I have nothing to add I just wanted to list my cheap headphones and let you know things still sound good down here in budget land when you have a PP!

LMAO...price does not equal quality :). I personally have a threshold...anything over a certain value causes me to stop enjoying it and start worrying about it.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #3,919 of 4,866
LMAO...price does not equal quality
smily_headphones1.gif
. I personally have a threshold...anything over a certain value causes me to stop enjoying it and start worrying about it.

Just saw your HF name and then it struck me...

Your daddy signed my Pono!!!
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #3,921 of 4,866
Bahahahaha...and you are one of the more prominent names on my bookshelf!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah...I think I did a pretty decent job when I was still alive...I wish I had the Pono with me ''on the road'' during those days 
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,924 of 4,866
Balanced HE-1000 works well out of Pono.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #3,927 of 4,866
Balanced HE-1000 works well out of Pono.

Quite impressive that a headphone of that caliber can sound nice out of Pono. 

Just got home, out the Pono adapter on the Norne cable, balanced, for the HEK, plugged into balanced Pono, fired up I've of my reference tracks Box Of Rain, Hi Rez Dead from American Beauty. Have various external apps, da converters for the HEK, have connected to my turntable system at one point, but, right now, not missing a thing! Mmmmmmmmmmm.....

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #3,928 of 4,866
Just got home, out the Pono adapter on the Norne cable, balanced, for the HEK, plugged into balanced Pono, fired up I've of my reference tracks Box Of Rain, Hi Rez Dead from American Beauty. Have various external apps, da converters for the HEK, have connected to my turntable system at one point, but, right now, not missing a thing! Mmmmmmmmmmm.....
Its amazing! My LCD-2F's sound excellent in Pono balanced mode.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #3,929 of 4,866
Cool dat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back