Poll: Who uses an iRiver H1x0 with digital out?
Feb 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #46 of 75
-i have a FLAC folder with 16bits/44,1 and 24bits/96 files. Should i convert them before transferring to the iriver and what would be the more convenient way ?
Yes, you should convert them to redbook (16/44) before putting them on the player. Rockbox will play up to 24/96, but it converts it to redbook using a very rudimentary algorithm. It sounds much better if you convert to redbook with iZotope RX first. It's supposed to have one of the best resamplers and dithering algorithms available, and the results I've had have been pretty nice. Certainly sounds better using that than foobar2000.

-is there anyway to use the remote and external DAC (d12) or portable amp  at the same time ?
Yes. The remote only blocks (and extends) the headphone jack. Line/Optical in and out are not blocked.

Edit : it seems that i can plug a normal jack in the optical line out. So i guess it's also a true line-out where i can put a portable amp ?
Kind of. The line out IS volume controlled, which is weird. But it's still a line out. That said, the internal DAC kind of sucks, and you'd be MUCH better served by using an external DAC instead. Look into the iBasso D10 or D12. Best possible pairing with the iRiver H1x0.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #47 of 75

Quote:
Kind of. The line out IS volume controlled, which is weird. But it's still a line out. That said, the internal DAC kind of sucks, and you'd be MUCH better served by using an external DAC instead. Look into the iBasso D10 or D12. Best possible pairing with the iRiver H1x0.

There are alternatives.
I have seen a direct comparison between the iBasso D10 and the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S in this forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/471019/leckerton-uha-6s-vs-ibasso-d10-your-impressions
My review is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539012/review-leckerton-audio-uha-6s-usb-toslink-dac-amp

Regarding conversion, I kind of suspected that converting with a computer would be better, but couldn't find any documentation on what the iRiver does, I guessed that it just drops the LSBs. Thanks for the confirmation in this area.

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #48 of 75
Hello, I bought H120 with idea using the digital out for connect to my DAC Micromega (it is quite older piece...) and to amps (Bryston/Forte Audio). When I compared H120 + DAC with PC+RME Digi32 (older soundcard with coax output...) +DAC (the same as with H120), the sound from PC appears better, more brightness, widely ... I can´t explain it... Could be the reason relates with resampling to 16/44kHZ in iriver, please?

Apr 10, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #50 of 75

Quote:
Is an H132 an H120 with a 32GB CF mod?

I am also interested in the answer to the second question. It was my impression that the iRiver converts all data streams to 16/44, therefore 24/96 wastes space with no fidelity increase, but this could be incorrect.

Welcome to the wonderful world of iRiver and Toslink, I will be taking my "new" one on the road for the first time next week.

Quote:
So, i'm a new lucky owner of a rockboxed (3.7.1) H132 and have a few questions :)

-i have a FLAC folder with 16bits/44,1 and 24bits/96 files. Should i convert them before transferring to the iriver and what would be the more convenient way ?
-is there anyway to use the remote and external DAC (d12) or portable amp  at the same time ?

Edit : it seems that i can plug a normal jack in the optical line out. So i guess it's also a true line-out where i can put a portable amp ?

Yes, the line out and optical out jack is one and the same.  Optical output can be enable or disabled via a menu setting in "Playback settings".   That is the jack that I use for all my portable amps as well as the optical input to my D12. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #51 of 75
Thanks for answer. Yes, I have been running on rockbox 3.8, but I enabled only digital out on rockbox settings - nothing more ... could i set some others items which affected the result sound from digital output, please? (EQ etc.) I have thought that digi output is "bit-perfect" = raw data...
triportsad.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #52 of 75
Quote:
I have thought that digi output is "bit-perfect" = raw data...
triportsad.gif

It is, as long as the files you are using are in 16-bit, 44.1kHz lossless: CD rips, for example.  If you're using hi-res files, they will probably sound better out of a computer, which will either have a better resampler, or be able to play the audio file at full resolution.

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #53 of 75
Yes - maybe... I check of specifications of my soundcard and it plays in 48 kHz and, for this reason probably, the sound seem little bit better.... But, if i play identical for example flac files in 44.1Khz - the result should be +- equall, shouldn´t it? In fact - I have got used to iriver because it´s useful solution than 10 meters coax and the all-the-time powered computer:) Thank... 

Apr 27, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #54 of 75
iHP I2S OUT MOD

I succeed I2S out mod of my iHP-120.

I2S signal from UDA1380 Philips Stereo audio coder-decoder.
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/UDA1380.pdf

Pin10: Bit clock
Pin11: Word clock
Pin12: Data
( and ground from GND)

I use mini-USB B jack for these 4 signals.
(maybe, USB jack is not good idea for I2S. wrong connection directly breakage of UDA1380...)

with hand-made fixation brass plate.

wiring

I connect this I2S to my OPUS DAC. Sound very nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #55 of 75
A bit off topic, but I am still hoping that some day someone will come up with a DAP (or phone or tablet) that offers native USB host mode DAC support.
Our beloved iRivers aren't going to last forever...

May 17, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #60 of 75

Quote:
Ok - if I have understood it - the resolution will be wide/better than 16/44 kHz if I use a appropriate record (fro example flac 24/96 kHz...), is it true?

No.  No sampling rate will be changed for output.
16/44.1 is iHP's max. sampling rate.

I think better jitter elimination is performed by higher frequency clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back