Poll: Who uses an iRiver H1x0 with digital out?
Oct 28, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #32 of 75
I have two H120s that have been Rockboxed. I modded one to a Toshiba MK8025GAL 80GB with the super low profile IDE/ZIF connector from Libmart (Korea) and the other is modded with a IDE/CF adapter to a Top Ram 32GB CF card.  I use both as a digital source to feed a D10.  In addition, I use the CF modded one to record live music via the optical input and an external A/D (Modded Grace Lunatec V3 outputting an ANSR dithered 24 >16bit signal or modded SONY SBM-1).

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #36 of 75
THANK YOU wuwhere fore enlightening me on the differences between coax and optical in the S/PDIF domain. Now, what generally are the benefits to 'coaxing' an iRiver H1xx?? or is that fodder for another thread?

Quote:
Coax as oppose to optical, both are SPDIF.

HMM, Please bear with me but WHAT is a METAL S/PDIF Out???

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #37 of 75

Quote:
Now, what generally are the benefits to 'coaxing' an iRiver H1xx?? or is that fodder for another thread?

As I understand it, the advantage of straight electrical SPDIF is that there's no jitter introduced from the transition to optical and back.  The DISadvantage is that electrical cables are more prone to electrical interference, unless properly shielded.  I could be off a bit here, but that seems to be the gist of it.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #39 of 75

Quote:

As I understand it, the advantage of straight electrical SPDIF is that there's no jitter introduced from the transition to optical and back.  The DISadvantage is that electrical cables are more prone to electrical interference, unless properly shielded.  I could be off a bit here, but that seems to be the gist of it.

well not really, coax is coax, meaning if its coax the ground is on the shield, you dont get unshielded coax, if its coax it has a shield, signal and shield/ground are the only 2 connections. also for an amount of RF interference to cause issues with jitter over a 6 inch cable I think you have bigger problems to worry about.

another note, using coax from iHP1X0, slightly better battery life

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #40 of 75

wuwhere said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Optical in irivers is not very good, that's true. However, you can mod h1x0 to have a coax spdif output (actually there is a coax out pad on the PCB, all you need is to rewire it to one of the jacks), and that will somewhat improve things. As well, if you use a good DAC with good jitter handling and good coax cable, you will get pretty good sound. There is no alternative to h1x0 as a portable digital source.

Do you have a pic of where this is on the board? I would like to mod one of my 120s.

Thanks for your instruction! Nice writing, I got more deep understanding about this part.

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #41 of 75
Running my old trustworthy H140 to and Ibasso D10 at the moment, thinking of upgrading to an d12 or maybe Boomslang+Toucan

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #42 of 75
I just got a Rockboxed iRiver H140 from a Head-fier and have used it a bit with my recently purchased Leckerton Audio UHA-6S DAC/Amp.
Sound is incredible, and the Leckerton design is very sophisticated.
This is a product which needs a lot more attention. Similarly priced to the iBassos, great build quality and (for those who care - I do) US made.
Full review will follow when I have some more hours with the unit.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #43 of 75
So, i'm a new lucky owner of a rockboxed (3.7.1) H132 and have a few questions :)

-i have a FLAC folder with 16bits/44,1 and 24bits/96 files. Should i convert them before transferring to the iriver and what would be the more convenient way ?
-is there anyway to use the remote and external DAC (d12) or portable amp  at the same time ?

Edit : it seems that i can plug a normal jack in the optical line out. So i guess it's also a true line-out where i can put a portable amp ?

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #44 of 75
Is an H132 an H120 with a 32GB CF mod?

I am also interested in the answer to the second question. It was my impression that the iRiver converts all data streams to 16/44, therefore 24/96 wastes space with no fidelity increase, but this could be incorrect.

Welcome to the wonderful world of iRiver and Toslink, I will be taking my "new" one on the road for the first time next week.

Quote:
So, i'm a new lucky owner of a rockboxed (3.7.1) H132 and have a few questions :)

-i have a FLAC folder with 16bits/44,1 and 24bits/96 files. Should i convert them before transferring to the iriver and what would be the more convenient way ?
-is there anyway to use the remote and external DAC (d12) or portable amp  at the same time ?

Edit : it seems that i can plug a normal jack in the optical line out. So i guess it's also a true line-out where i can put a portable amp ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back