PM-1 vs HE-6 .....
Jul 12, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #46 of 139
  Off-topic (sorry), but does the Taurus get hot? In a desktop system, it's right next to you sometimes and this is a consideration.

Not in my experience but I ensure that mine has plenty of ventilation. Its warmer than my Marantz speaker amp, but I dont push either to extremes. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #47 of 139
  Have you decided which headphones to get yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

No - I have to schedule my next trip to Bangkok and right now I'm dealing with a couple of tax issues back in Australia (as in 'I'm in Thailand but the issues are back in Australia'). To say that my head isnt in the right space would be an understatement but at the end of the day sorting real-world issues takes precedence over finding another pair of headphones. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #48 of 139

Not in my experience but I ensure that mine has plenty of ventilation. Its warmer than my Marantz speaker amp, but I dont push either to extremes. 

Thanks for that. 
In short, I found the HE6 to be fatiguing and sold them. I find the PM-1 to be very satisfying and has surprising resolution and lets me see into the music without wincing and I love them and use them a lot.
If you want a Hifiman, go for the 560, I really like mine.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #49 of 139
  Thanks for that. 
In short, I found the HE6 to be fatiguing and sold them. I find the PM-1 to be very satisfying and has surprising resolution and lets me see into the music without wincing and I love them and use them a lot.
If you want a Hifiman, go for the 560, I really like mine.

You have some very nice amps there.  Are those the amps you tried the HE-6 on?

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #51 of 139
No - I have to schedule my next trip to Bangkok and right now I'm dealing with a couple of tax issues back in Australia (as in 'I'm in Thailand but the issues are back in Australia'). To say that my head isnt in the right space would be an understatement but at the end of the day sorting real-world issues takes precedence over finding another pair of headphones. 
Good luck with that. A friend has been accused of not paying taxes in 2012. He showed them the cancelled checks and they won't take it as proof. Greedy governments are pushing hard.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #55 of 139

You talking about this 98 pound Monster?   http://edgeamps.com/nl10.html

Yeah - I bet you would have got much better results..

I like how HE-6 fans are always complaining that if someone does not like HE-6, it's because one didn't feed them with terawatts of power... And I have noticed several times that even if one purchased something like EF-6, it wasn't enough according to harcore HE-6 fans ('not enough power, not good enough even though Hifiman developed it specifically for this headphone' etc.). Have you (and the rest of HE-6 crowd) at least considered once that there is no headphone that could satisfy all, and that HE-6 is no exception to this rule?

I know that HD800 fans also tend to worship $$$$ tube amplifiers little too much but it's definitely not as extreme as the situation around the HE-6. My subjective impression from what I have read so far here on head-fi is that HE-6 fed by an ultra ultra ultra poweramp => Second Christ Coming, life-changing and absolutely flawless experience that will instantly raise your karma to endless levels. I don't really think that HE-6 are not a quality headphones - but isn't it quite over the top overall?

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #56 of 139
After having owned the Hifiman 500, HE6, and presently own the the 560, imho the 560 represents the latest and greatest of Hifiman technology, a major refinement of what has gone before. 
There is something nice right from the get-go out of the box with the 560 that hit me immediately. Not a wow-factor at all, just sophistication and fine tuning by ear by the designers.
It gave me a new respect for Hifiman. So imho, I would tell anyone interested in them to go straight for the 560, a best effort absolutely.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #57 of 139

I like how HE-6 fans are always complaining that if someone does not like HE-6, it's because one didn't feed them with terawatts of power... And I have noticed several times that even if one purchased something like EF-6, it wasn't enough according to harcore HE-6 fans ('not enough power, not good enough even though Hifiman developed it specifically for this headphone' etc.). Have you (and the rest of HE-6 crowd) at least considered once that there is no headphone that could satisfy all, and that HE-6 is no exception to this rule?

I know that HD800 fans also tend to worship $$$$ tube amplifiers little too much but it's definitely not as extreme as the situation around the HE-6. My subjective impression from what I have read so far here on head-fi is that HE-6 fed by an ultra ultra ultra poweramp => Second Christ Coming, life-changing and absolutely flawless experience that will instantly raise your karma to endless levels. I don't really think that HE-6 are not a quality headphones - but isn't it quite over the top overall?

By the looks of your post, you can tell you haven't been around here long..  Please point out to me wherever you've read "it's because one didn't feed them with terawatts of power"  See, what you're doing is feeding an age old myth.  This is how old myths stay alive.  

I along with countless others have tried to kill this myth thousands of times, but it just won't die.  Any headphone amp, speaker amp, portable amp, whatever amp - can drive the HE-6..  OK.  However, it will not sound good out of most of those amps.  What we are trying to do here is get the most out the headphone, trying to reach it's absolute highest potential.  The only way we've found to get there or very close is by using speaker amps.

Now, I've owned a 10watt into 8 ohm speaker amp that I used for over a year with my HE-6.  It's still one of the best amps I've heard with the HE-6.  That's right only 10watts into 8 ohms.  Guess what that does to your "it's because one didn't feed them with terawatts of power" statement?  That's right it just killed that myth.  

​What you need is a capable amp.  A capable amp can come in all sizes, shapes and wattage output.  Still - it has to be capable.  Capable of what you ask?  Capable of sustaining consistent peaks in some music passages without running out of gas.  Capable of taming the much talked about harsh highs. Capable of taking the bass of the HE-6 by the balls and controlling the hell out of it.  Capable of allowing the mids of the HE-6 to sing baby sing.  

There's a hell of a lot of capable amps out there.  Just not many headphone amp are capable.  Your amp best have a hell of a power supply with some hefty transformers.  Most headphones amps of yesterday didn't need to have this.  It's now today that headphone amps are putting out more power, but still not sure if their power supplies can keep up.  

The EF-6...  The EF-6 has more than enough power to drive the HE-6.  However, to lot of folks the synergy is just not there.  It's still a tad bit on the bright side.  Still does not give the treble it's just do.  I had the EF-6 in house on loan for about 6 months.  I put it through all kinds of test, side by side with the GS-X mk2, and the lowly 10watt into 8ohms amp.  Guess what..  That lowly 10watt into 8ohm amp kicked it's ass.  The EF-6 and the GS-X mk2 was going toe to toe with the GS-X mk2 winning by a hair because of out it tamed the highs.  However, the GS-X mk2 would sometimes run out of gas on extreme busy passages.  

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #58 of 139
  After having owned the Hifiman 500, HE6, and presently own the the 560, imho the 560 represents the latest and greatest of Hifiman technology, a major refinement of what has gone before. 
There is something nice right from the get-go out of the box with the 560 that hit me immediately. Not a wow-factor at all, just sophistication and fine tuning by ear by the designers.
It gave me a new respect for Hifiman. So imho, I would tell anyone interested in them to go straight for the 560, a best effort absolutely.

I've heard from many that owns both that the 560 is in-between the 500 and the 6.  Meaning it is not an upgrade over the 6, rather still a notch below.  Oh well - Still awaiting the HE-6 successor.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #59 of 139

I've heard from many that owns both that the 560 is in-between the 500 and the 6.  Meaning it is not an upgrade over the 6, rather still a notch below.  Oh well - Still awaiting the HE-6 successor.

Point taken sir. Of course, I did not amp the HE6 properly (just not practical for me), so this may certainly be correct.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 139

the he-6, like stax, is a challenge i think because you cannot just buy it and plug it into the headphone equipment (even if it is quite good) you already have and see how it does.  it takes different stuff to sound real good.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back