PM-1 vs HE-6 .....
Jul 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #32 of 139
I think the guy who was saying to use speaker amp's headphone out made a mistake as they stink. He must of meant use speaker outs.

as for he-6, I don't think technology has made new orthos obviously better. Still a preference thing with he-6 still entrenched in totl as far as I am concerned.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #33 of 139
I think the guy who was saying to use speaker amp's headphone out made a mistake as they stink. He must of meant use speaker outs.

as for he-6, I don't think technology has made new orthos obviously better. Still a preference thing with he-6 still entrenched in totl as far as I am concerned.

Until HFM can design a single-sided magnetic headphone that sounds better than the HE-6, more efficient, at the same price as the HE-6.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #34 of 139

Until HFM can design a single-sided magnetic headphone that sounds better than the HE-6, more efficient, at the same price as the HE-6.

Are you talking about the HE560? Because it sounds like you're talking about the HE560.

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #36 of 139

No, I'm talking about the replacement for the HE-6. The HE-560 does not dethrone the HE-6.

I didn't realize there was a throne. If so, the HE-6 is welcome to it; the lowly 560 will have to do with a headphone stand nearest to the amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #39 of 139
Well looking at Tyll's measurements.  HE-6's FR is most neutral.  HE-6 has slightly more distortion over wider range of frequencies than the PM-1 which has distortion in the upper bass area,  which is less nuetral with a dip in the lower treble region like the LCD3.  LCD3 has the lowest distortion of the three.  PM-1 treble takes a drastic dip after 10K.  LCD3 and HE-6 has better treble extension.  Just based on graphs, LCD looks the most favorable when all weighted on average.  HE-6 strengh is neutral response and PM1 has lower distortion that HE-6, but the treble dips.  I suspect PM-1 to sound dark like CurraWong has talked about in the review.

Ranking based on measurements of weighing the average of the different aspects of measurements. LCD3 and HE-6 excels in one area over the other, not so much for the PM-1

1. LCD3
2. HE-6
3. PM-1

Jul 9, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #41 of 139
I don't consider the PM-1 dark and I have been listening the the HE-6 for the past two years and also recently got the TH900. But there is definately a lack of air and a slighlty congested soundstage very similar to the LCD2. A front row experience that many might enjoy and can be very seductive dependent on recordings.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #42 of 139
+1: I don't consider the PM-1 "dark" either.  They offer lots of treble detail, even micro-treble detail, but their treble is simply not as forward/prominent--and, consequently, not as "airy"--as with other cans.  For me, the LCD 2.2 were rolled off in the treble compared with the PM-1, in that [IMHO] the treble just wasn't there with the Audeze, or was eclipsed by the LCD 2.2's bass.  

Even though the PM-1's soundstage dimensions are comparatively smaller than the HE-6's and perhaps on-par with the LCD 2.2, my feeling is that the Oppos capture the spatial acoustic better than the LCD 2.2 and therefore portray a more realistic 3-D sense than the LCD 2.2.  The "dynamic relief" of the PM-1 is one characteristic that makes them special to me; it's the way the Oppos curvaciously render a dynamic and "live-feeling" to the listening space and, secondly, how they manage to remain both highly resolving and exceptionally smooth at the same time. 

I listened to the PM-1 practically all day yesterday, mainly with orchestral scores: the Oppos delivered a consistently rewarding and non-fatiguing audio experience from beginning to end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back