Please Help Recommend Full Sized Headphone for J-Pop/J-Rock Music (<$250)
May 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #46 of 105
  So I have been listening to Complication (Still struggle) over and over to compare it on all my headphones (it is really good, don't know if Ill hit 5000 lol)  and so maybe I can help a little since you seem like a kindred spirit.

I also have the ATH-M50s and I had the same thoughts pretty much on what I wanted. Clear vocals, don't care about bass etc. I don't have anything on your list except I do have the K701 which should sound the same as the Q701 I think. They are the complete opposite of the M50s, if you really don't want bass, then they are the way to go, because instead of the M50s full overwhelming bassy sound dominating everything, the 701s have none of it, but the highs seem accentuated more and the vocals sound very clear. Probably the widest soundstage of anything I have, they just feel very very open. Only thing is they are pretty delicate in my experience, like I wouldn't roll around on the bed with them or anything. On the up side they are the most comfortable just because I can't even tell I am wearing them, its the same as wearing nothing. So yeah, really want to put bass as the least emphasis and focus on the vocals mainly and then the guitars, these really work. Much clearer than the ATH-M50s, the M50s are as far from what you describe as I can think of, pretty much the opposite of what you say you want.

Sorry I ramble alot, but the 701s are great if you don't mind the bass emphasis being night and day from what you have.

What I would really recommend though is the ZMF modified Fostex T50RP. They are closed like you are used to so you won't have to get used to open headphones. When my room mate is making noise in the other room, I get distracted with all my open headphones and feel like turning up the volume and hurting my ears. Closed I don't have to worry about that.

They have a much better soundstage than the M50s, pretty good for closed. IMO vocals are heavenly on them, but I don't feel like I have to give up anything the way I do on the K701s. I have the Version 2 which has a little bit of bass emphasis but honestly  it is nothing like the M50s. This is tight accurate bass, that isn't overwhelming.  You could just get the V1s with like a silver rewire, though that might go over budget, not sure. The different wire really seems to make a difference in the sound.  They are the most solidly built headphones I have ever seen, like these are solid. I would describe them as lively, always unconsciously bob my head when I wear them.
Way more clarity and detail than the M50s, huge difference once I am not only hearing bloated bass.

Only downside is they won't let me fly away, they are a bit heavier than most. But they are so comfortable I don't notice the weight, I recommend the pilot pad, I also listen for 3-6 hours and such and that pad really makes a difference. Honestly I think you would love these, I know I do. They might be a little over budget if you went with the master model, but free rewires this month looks like. The basic ones are 249 though if you want to stick to that number. I would say they are my favorite headphones, on par with my HD650s, preferring the ZMF mostly and the 650s are way out of budget. Sorry I can't compare to the Soundmagics but I feel like the ZMFs perform better than most things I have heard under $500.

O and in terms of trustworthy site, Zach, (the guy that makes them) is the nicest guy ever. He will bend over backwards to help you get things the way you want and make sure you are happy. I have never had such a good experience anywhere, and Zach is just an all around cool guy.

Sorry if none of that helps at all but thought I would give it a shot since I am really enjoying going through all the songs you posted with my ZMFs now. On "Extra terrestrial Biological Entities" now and wow, vocals are so intimate and real sounding, its really nice.

What do you use to drive your ZMF V2's or what is your source? I'll have to look at the V1's.

Also, I have to ask how the warranty works if there is any. EDIT: Never mind, read their FAQ about the warranty.

Also, you're welcome for the music links 
wink.gif

May 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #47 of 105
Right now my setup is optical out of the computer into the Schiit Bifrost into the Objective2. The Bifrost is a pretty recent upgrade and I was very happy with them before with the Modi, and before that with the Behringer uca202 lol. Modi was a big jump from that.

I am about to start trying out the idea that they really benefit from excess power but like I said, I think they are already close to my 650s in many ways with just the O2. Heck, they sound pretty good out of my phone.

Also, later I went and downloaded the whole Egoist album in FLAC. Really an improvement over youtube heh. If you don't have it, go to animeost though I am sure you already know :wink:

Do you play sf by any chance? Just wondered cuz fei long.

May 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #48 of 105
Yeah, in terms of warranty, Zach seems like he is very accommodating. I tore up my original cable, just by stepping on it over and over when I stand up, so dumb lol. Anyway he was willing to re-terminate it for free even though it was pretty much my fault. He is all about customer satisfaction. He is also incredibly patient, cuz as you can see, I tend to talk on and on about stuff and Zach never seems to mind or at least he hides it well lol.

May 14, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #49 of 105

Right now my setup is optical out of the computer into the Schiit Bifrost into the Objective2. The Bifrost is a pretty recent upgrade and I was very happy with them before with the Modi, and before that with the Behringer uca202 lol. Modi was a big jump from that.

I am about to start trying out the idea that they really benefit from excess power but like I said, I think they are already close to my 650s in many ways with just the O2. Heck, they sound pretty good out of my phone.

Also, later I went and downloaded the whole Egoist album in FLAC. Really an improvement over youtube heh. If you don't have it, go to animeost though I am sure you already know :wink:

Do you play sf by any chance? Just wondered cuz fei long.

I think I MIGHT have to go with the ZMF Basic V1's because I have no idea if the warranty for the SoundMAGIC's is still present. I'll have to do some serious thinking though. Like serious.

And yes I also have the Egoist album in FLAC 
wink.gif

I used to play a lot of the Street Fighter for the Game Boy Advance but the reason for "Feilong" is because it's actually my name! My dad used to play a lot of Street Fighter and I guess he wanted to name his kid after his favorite character or something. BUT my name isn't spelled with an "i" but with a "y" and there's a whole other story behind that.

Yeah, in terms of warranty, Zach seems like he is very accommodating. I tore up my original cable, just by stepping on it over and over when I stand up, so dumb lol. Anyway he was willing to re-terminate it for free even though it was pretty much my fault. He is all about customer satisfaction. He is also incredibly patient, cuz as you can see, I tend to talk on and on about stuff and Zach never seems to mind or at least he hides it well lol.

It happens a lot to me and my ATH-M50S so I guess if I went with those headphones, I could get reassurance that I can get the cable replaced.

EDIT: Also, is the leather headband pretty comfortable/fit well (assuming you have the ZMF Basic V2)?

May 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #50 of 105
Also, updated first post with 3 new songs and other things.

Currently debating whether to get the SoundMAGIC HP200 or ZMF Basic V1.

May 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #52 of 105
  Hey Feilong4,

As of now, on the Amazon US page, the SoundMAGIC HP200 are only $199.99! That is a steal. 
biggrin.gif

Yup, I saw it but I'm still debating whether to get those or the ZMF Basic V1 that goes for $249.99. I'm still reading up on the ZMF Basic V1 though.

May 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #56 of 105
  I think I MIGHT have to go with the ZMF Basic V1's because I have no idea if the warranty for the SoundMAGIC's is still present. I'll have to do some serious thinking though. Like serious.

And yes I also have the Egoist album in FLAC 
wink.gif

I used to play a lot of the Street Fighter for the Game Boy Advance but the reason for "Feilong" is because it's actually my name! My dad used to play a lot of Street Fighter and I guess he wanted to name his kid after his favorite character or something. BUT my name isn't spelled with an "i" but with a "y" and there's a whole other story behind that.

It happens a lot to me and my ATH-M50S so I guess if I went with those headphones, I could get reassurance that I can get the cable replaced.

EDIT: Also, is the leather headband pretty comfortable/fit well (assuming you have the ZMF Basic V2)?

That is really cool, I am gonna name my daughter Ibuki now lol. Maybe the "i" version is trademarked to street fighter and no one shall have that name ever again...... or something more complicated..... :p

With the basic, the cable isn't a big deal to replace anyway since it is just a regular headphone cable and is detachable. I have the mini-xlr rejack and those are near impossible to find in stores or almost anywhere. The guy at guitar center acted like I made it up or it wasn't a real thing lol.

I wish I had tried the Soundmagics but I don't know much about them other then the reviews on here I skimmed over. Maybe I will try them for portable, I don't really like to take anything out of the house except for my M50s, so if they are supposed to be good, I could do a comparison heh. I think there are more ZMF fans though cuz I never really heard of soundmagic when I was looking for headphones, not saying they aren't good, just weren't on my radar until now.

I really think you would like the ZMF but looks like Zach has a seven day return policy if you aren't sure but there is a restocking fee. Amazon stuff usually gives you 30 days but it might depend on who the seller is so if you really aren't sure, could get both and return the one you don't like as much within the week heh. Or just join the ZMF club :p

I actually got the pilot pad so I can't say on the leather headband. Maybe its sort of like the K701, im not sure. I tried it with just the regular fostex headband bare the other day just to see, and it wasn't awful or anything, the pilot pad just feels more comfy on my head. I actually have the master model but that was just cuz I really wanted them painted.

These are mine. Sexy I know
wink_face.gif

Edit: O hell yeah! The added 3 songs are all Nano, I love her! Nice!

May 14, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #57 of 105
I'm coming in a bit late, but you may want to give the Fidelio X1's a thought. I can't attest to the t50rp mod that you're heavily considering from personal use, but I know that some have had issues with being very neutral. I'm not sure if the mod helps that or not. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670318/philips-fidelio-x1-review-comparison

Here's is a quick review for you if you're interested, and there are plenty out there. I know the price seems to have dropped recently on these, so I'm sure you could snag a pretty decent deal at this point. 

Good luck though!

edit: The link isn't my review, just something for reference. 

May 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #58 of 105
  I'm coming in a bit late, but you may want to give the Fidelio X1's a thought. I can't attest to the t50rp mod that you're heavily considering from personal use, but I know that some have had issues with being very neutral. I'm not sure if the mod helps that or not. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/670318/philips-fidelio-x1-review-comparison

Here's is a quick review for you if you're interested, and there are plenty out there. I know the price seems to have dropped recently on these, so I'm sure you could snag a pretty decent deal at this point. 

Good luck though!

edit: The link isn't my review, just something for reference. 

I've heard the X1 are kinda warm and bassy, so perhaps it won't match his requirements.

May 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #59 of 105
  I've heard the X1 are kinda warm and bassy, so perhaps it won't match his requirements.

+1 I was about to say the same thing.

Also, on the T50RP being "very neutral," I can't say from experience on the unmodded ones but I can say this doesn't apply to the ZMF mod I have. I think the Paradox ones are made to sound neutral which is what some people are going for so I am not sure if I would call it an "issue" regardless.

May 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #60 of 105
  Hey Feilong4,

As of now, on the Amazon US page, the SoundMAGIC HP200 are only $199.99! That is a steal. 
biggrin.gif

Hey Garraty, whats the difference between the HP200 and the HP100? I can't find the HP200 on their site and they are priced the same. The HP200 actually says the HP100 in its description....
The HP100 has a refurb for 129, if its just as good as the HP200, then thats a huge steal I guess. My vote is still with the ZMF but thats pretty cheap if you don't mind a refurb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back