Please Help Recommend Full Sized Headphone for J-Pop/J-Rock Music (<$250)
May 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 105
If you like that linear sound of the Etymotics, Beyerdynamic DT880s would be another consideration. I have the ER4Ps. I would describe the DT880s as a little brighter in terms of treble energy than my Etys, but better low end bass response (yet not emphasized). Definitely not warm sounding. Here's a review in the battle of the flagships thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

Because they are 250 ohm, they definitely would have to have an amp.

May 7, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 105
I would love to consider these but unfortunately my budget for a decent amp and some headphones knocks me out of the area of having the chance to get these.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

May 7, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 105
Well, I've never heard the HP200s. But I loved the Soundmagic IEMs I've heard. If it were me, I'd go with the HP200s. Based on this review, and the Soundmagic reputation, they seem like a headphone I would like :D

May 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 105
Good for you, dude! Just a warning, it seems all the headphones you are looking at (AKG's, the SoundMAGIC HP200) will need proper amping so you might want to consider that as well.

May 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 105
  Good for you, dude! Just a warning, it seems all the headphones you are looking at (AKG's, the SoundMAGIC HP200) will need proper amping so you might want to consider that as well.

I read up on some reviews and it seems it would sound fine on portable device so I would assume it would sound pretty well on the Fiio Andes though I'm just adding 2 and 2 together.

May 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #22 of 105
Last-last minute recommendations for headphones (decision-making-time soon).

May 9, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #23 of 105
I read up on some reviews and it seems it would sound fine on portable device so I would assume it would sound pretty well on the Fiio Andes though I'm just adding 2 and 2 together.

The E07K has an output impedance less than 1 ohm, so it's a good choice in that regard for driving the HP200s and will be better than many portable devices. They need a good low output impedance since they are 20 ohms. I guess it's always possible you might want more volume out of the HP200s than the E07K can provide (some people seemed to indicate that the HP200 is a little inefficient). And it might be that a more powerful amp would help with the dynamics at higher volumes. But I'm sure it will sound very good with the E07K :)

May 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #24 of 105
  Now, I've been reading a lot of threads and reviews on headphones BUT I don't know which headphones will do well for the music I listen to.

So as said in the title, I like to listen to a lot of J-Pop and J-Rock.I would say that I am a bit of a treble head and I don't really like the bass all THAT much.

I am kind of on a strict budget on <$250 and the headphones must be on Amazon or a trusted site.

I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M50S,  the V-Moda XS (Returning), and the Etymotic HF5. Those are all running out on an HP laptop with a Fiio Andes E07K Amp/DAC for home use and on a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 for portable use (But I am looking for headphones for home using).

It would also be wonderful to have Amp/DAC recommendations but I am strictly looking at headphones as of now (though I am thinking about getting the Fiio E09K for my Andes).

Basically,
-I want headphones that has a decent soundstage (At least so I can tell the difference between the Audio Technicas)
-Nice sounding trebles and heavenly vocals (Little to no sibilance)
-Non-intrusive bass; non-warm
-Decent build quality (Don't want them breaking on me within like 2 weeks in)
-"Lively" sounding if that's the word I'm looking for
-And obviously a great overall sound
-REALLY good clarity and detail (Possibly more or par to my ATH M-50S)
-EDIT: I would also love it if the headphones would make me hold onto my bed as I listen to them as if I'm about to fly but that might be asking for too much :/

So yes, I am kind of asking for a lot I guess.

Currently, the headphone(s) I am looking at are...

- AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones

-AKG K612 PRO

- SoundMAGIC HP200 (Leaning towards these, unless someone can sway me otherwise)

Here are some songs that I usually listen to so you have an idea of what I listen to:

Also, thanks and I might edit in and out of this post to add stuff!!

EDIT: I would much appreciate it if the headphones would sound amazing with ROOKiEZ is PUNK'D - "Complication (Still Struggle)" (The song link is posted up above) as I listen to that song a lot!!

As you can see.. I've listened to that song over 5,000 times (>PowerAMP>Most Played List).

I swear, you and I share the same music preference.  All I listen to are J-Pop and J-Rock, and ocassionally some Lupe.  Really nothing else.
I have to say that the audio technicas around this price range do a good job at this.  The ES FC300 is also pretty great.  The Momentum and 1r and whatnot... not so much.  J-Rock to me thrives on a good balance, though slightly treble heavy.  The ES FC300, ATH ESW9a and Martin Logan Mikros 90 do a great job.
Check out FLOW's albums FLOW the Max and 26 a Go Go.  One OK Rock's Jinsei X Boku album is also fantastic. 

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/FLOW---Ai-Ai-Ai-ni-Utarete-Bye-Bye-Bye/1ad0ca61216b6f7d5d62bc677cca1925

May 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 105
  I swear, you and I share the same music preference.  All I listen to are J-Pop and J-Rock, and ocassionally some Lupe.  Really nothing else.
I have to say that the audio technicas around this price range do a good job at this.  The ES FC300 is also pretty great.  The Momentum and 1r and whatnot... not so much.  J-Rock to me thrives on a good balance, though slightly treble heavy.  The ES FC300, ATH ESW9a and Martin Logan Mikros 90 do a great job.
Check out FLOW's albums FLOW the Max and 26 a Go Go.  One OK Rock's Jinsei X Boku album is also fantastic. 

http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/FLOW---Ai-Ai-Ai-ni-Utarete-Bye-Bye-Bye/1ad0ca61216b6f7d5d62bc677cca1925

Nice!! I'll have to check those headphones and the albums out! Brother from another mother right there.
EDIT: Forgot to note that I would prefer Over-the-Ear Headphones.

Just wanted to know why you are returning the XS. I'm thinking of getting a pair.

To my ears and preference, the bass was too much for me and the clarity just wasn't there so much. I also wished that it had more treble since I DID say that I'm a bit of a treble head.
NOTE: My ears have already been used to the Audio Technica ATH-M50S if that means anything.

But also, just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't like it because obviously everyone's different in their preference. 

So if you're thinking of getting a pair, the reasons to get it are if you like the bass thumping in your head, the vocals sound gorgeous, the really good build quality, and the custom shields which were pretty awesome but get dirty if you touch it too much. If you really like those features and that sound then go for it.

May 10, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #28 of 105
Nice!! I'll have to check those headphones and the albums out! Brother from another mother right there.
EDIT: Forgot to note that I would prefer Over-the-Ear Headphones.

To my ears and preference, the bass was too much for me and the clarity just wasn't there so much. I also wished that it had more treble since I DID say that I'm a bit of a treble head.
NOTE: My ears have already been used to the Audio Technica ATH-M50S if that means anything.

But also, just because I didn't like it doesn't mean you won't like it because obviously everyone's different in their preference. 

So if you're thinking of getting a pair, the reasons to get it are if you like the bass thumping in your head, the vocals sound gorgeous, the really good build quality, and the custom shields which were pretty awesome but get dirty if you touch it too much. If you really like those features and that sound then go for it.

I need a portable pair and they are the best choice

May 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #29 of 105
I need a portable pair and they are the best choice

Then I guess you could go for it. It would great if you let me know what you think of it as well because I like to hear other people's opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back