Pixel's first dog show
Jul 15, 2003 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

plainsong

Headphoneus Supremus: Untie!
Well, my Blogging program doesn't seem to be working yet, so I'll tell everyone here how it went. Don't you feel priveledged?
wink.gif

First off, I have to say that we're not really dog show types. We got Pixel as a pet and that's what she is. We only did this because the breeder begged, and we thought Pixel would have a good time socializing. It turned out to be a good idea since she had an absolute blast.

A couple of days ago the breeder measured her one last time to see what category she's in. See, she's registered as a miniature dachshund, but at 30cm around, she's a kaninchen, which is a bit smaller. However, different judges use different measuring tapes so she could end up as a kaninchen or a miniature. As this is her first show, it's easy to change size categories. She's a tad round, so that doesn't help. her coat was also very quickly going soft, so we were getting close to the experiation date.

This was an outdoor show and the first of the hot days of summer here in Helsinki. It didn't help that she really hates car rides, crying the entire way, certain she was going to her death. To her surprise instead she found doggies like her to socialize with. Her brother Kaapo was there, and they had a great time just hanging out. However it was very very hot. Luckily her class was in the morning.

Before the class began, the breeder had the chance to take her into the ring for the training session. It's difficult for doxies to walk that show walk outdoors in grass, and Pixie had way too much energy to walk and stand correctly. It was funny to watch, but we discovered that my husband and I had to hide, since she kept spotting us.

She was measured, and the judge insisted she was 31cm, a miniature. Ahh, it doesn't matter. She got the raiting of "good" instead of "Excellent" since her coat wasn't perfect and she was a tad round, but we knew about those problems. The breeder thought she still shoulda got "Excellent". She's still a little Pixel.
wink.gif
So now it was time for the class, female miniature wirehairs over 15 months. There were 6, and they started walking around the ring, Pixie treating it like a race. The breeder was an excellent handler though, and of course Pixie knows her well, so she calmed down a bit by the time it was time for the measuring.

She was last in line behind a cute little black wirehair, and they started socializing, until it Pixie was last. Up on the table she went and the judge poked and prodded, and then wanted to see her walk. That went great, except for the wee-wee break. That's our Pixie.
smily_headphones1.gif
But then standing still was impossible. The Basset hounds in the next ring were all grouped there taunting her, and she wanted to play with them. At any rate, she did finally stand still long enough for the judge to see her, and then it was time for the final walk around the ring.

The judge then narrowed it down to 3, this professional type who had a nice dog, Pixie, and the little black doxie. The results were in. In her first show, Pixie came second. Not bad considering it was her first time, she had no training, and had no idea what was expected of her. We were very proud of our little girl.
smily_headphones1.gif

So here's what the judge had to say: A very happy dog, A wonderful little bitch and an excellent representitive of the breed. A beautiful feminine head, nice chest and good solid lines throughout. She has a natural stance and needs no setting up, and a wonderful natural gait. Her coat is going a bit soft and she is a bit round, and she lacks some control, but a wonderful dachshund who is bound to go far.

Rea, the breeder, was looking back at Pixie's mother, Dottie's papers, and her first critique basically said the same thing. Not too shabby at all.

Pixie got a homemade beef stew as her reward. After a brief rest, she was barking and straining to get back into the ring, so yeah, she must have caught on.
smily_headphones1.gif

And what would have happened if she didn't do well? Well we'd have to cuddle her and console her of course. But her next show will probably be in the first of next year after she looses her coat again. People are very friendly and it's lots of fun. There's only one woman that's the type from the "Best in Show" movie (like the handler of the Poodle), and she's easy to see coming.

We're very proud of our little girl. She behaved wonderfully and the judge just noticed it, that's all. And what is Pixel doing now? She's asleep on my leg as I type this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 10
Good show, plainsong! Sounds like you all (including Pixel) had a blast. That's what it should be. Glad to hear you are not one of those 'stage mothers'. Quote:

A wonderful little bitch and an excellent representitive of the breed. A beautiful feminine head, nice chest and good solid lines throughout. She has a natural stance and needs no setting up, and a wonderful natural gait.

Exactly what I just posted in my Match.com ad for desired qualities in a mate
wink.gif
! She would have gotten an 'excellent' in my book.

Jul 15, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 10
Heh, I need to check match.com, Pixie's in puppy puberty and I want to make sure she's not posting ads!
wink.gif

Yeah it really was lots of fun, she instantly became best friends with a long hair doxie that was set up next us. That dog later won best of group.

Mom scoffed at my news, saying that it wasn't like Crufts that was on Animal Planet. But sheesh, you don't start out at Westminster, and it was an international show.

I just feel bad for the dogs belonging to that one prima donna. They have to stand kind of squatting in order to create the illusion of a sloping back line, their tales are always tucked, they live in cages, not allowed to be petted. That's not right. All that to chase a ribbon?
rolleyes.gif

Well, at the next show our goal is to get her to stand and walk nicely. But otherwise you just don't know with those judges. One gave Pixie's sister an "excellent" and then at a seperate show gave her a "4" which basically means, why did you show up? I'll just be happy if she doesn't weewee in the ring next time.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 10
We mostly just took little mpg movies with our Sony digital camera. She's too tough to get still pictures of, but here's a link to her website. If you scroll down you'll find the photoalbum of the pictures we took at the show. Movies will be posted soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pixel's Website

Image-575A0370B75411D7.jpg

She's a little Pixel since she is the smallest of the litter.
smily_headphones1.gif
Fitting since her mother is Dottie.

Jul 16, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 10
As my wife would say, Pixel's got a pretty, friendly face. If you are choosing a dog she says you need to look at the face. Never owning a dog before, I went with her choice and it was the right one.

Jul 16, 2003 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Pixel and her mom Dottie both have the same face. She just doesn't pose as well as Dottie does yet. Yes, you should always see a happy dog when you look in the face. That's how you know that's the dog for you - and I think the dog will know it too. It's always a general rule I've used when buying horses or dogs too. I mean, sure I look at the confirmation to see about any health problems I'll be encountering, but it's more what's in the eyes than anything else.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's Pixie's "tired and hot but happy dog" expression.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back