Pioneer's first DAP, the XDP-100R announced in IFA
Dec 21, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,367 of 1,830
I got my Xdp-100r last week and i tried the stock app and poweramp 3 alpha and i couldnt hear any difference between both apps i used my stagediver sd2 and b&o h6 and 16bit flacs,
my htc m9 uses the snapdragon dac and it sounded flat and less detailed compared to xdp-100r.

i still think its a rumor that xdp-100r uses different dacs it may be that highres 24+ bit audio gets downsampled.

It may be a rumor, but I can say for me the sound is terrible from poweramp, but wonderful from the stock player. Using empire ears Spartan-IV IEMs, which are more sensitive than other headphones I've used before.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,368 of 1,830
By the way, what kind of battery life are you all getting?

I've had the player a few months now. I turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, disabled Google synching and uninstalled excessive apps that aren't used for music. (I have a phone for that). It used to last all day with the screen off and music playing.

Lately, possibly even since the most recent firmware update, it's been running out of battery after 3.5 hours of listening (screen off). I need to use a charger at work now! I hope this is just an issue with the app (still using the stock player) and will be fixed.

Anyone getting similar results? Or better battery life?

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,369 of 1,830
The only way to get Poweramp beta to access the superior ESS DAC, is to change the build prop, model number to Meizu HiFi ( and set the output to 24/192 for the headphone jack in advanced settings). The play store version does NOT offer this option yet, as the hi-fi capability (beta app) has not been merged yet (play store version).

The device has to be rooted, of course to change the build properties. You can actually hear the DAC click on, when using Poweramp beta 703 (with Meizu Hi-fi hack).

The stock music app, outputs a far better reproduction than any of the other Android music players (including neutron), assuming you have the ears and the iems/headphones to tell.

Either way, due to the nice amp, even if playing through the Qualcomm DAC (all Android media players , outside of the only and pioneer app), the reproduction will still sound better than any smartphone. Just enjoy the great device imo.

In regards to the battery life, I did not see any degradation in battery life (post update), although I removed a ton of apps and forced closed all non used resources. 5hrs on-screen with all 24/192 files and running TiDal Hi-fi offline, with the screen @50%.

I do wish the battery was removable Iike the old ibasso dx90

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #1,370 of 1,830
The only way to get Poweramp beta to access the superior ESS DAC, is to change the build prop, model number to Meizu HiFi ( and set the output to 24/192 for the headphone jack in advanced settings). The play store version does NOT offer this option yet, as the hi-fi capability (beta app) has not been merged yet (play store version).

The device has to be rooted, of course to change the build properties. You can actually hear the DAC click on, when using Poweramp beta 703 (with Meizu Hi-fi hack).

The stock music app, outputs a far better reproduction than any of the other Android music players (including neutron), assuming you have the ears and the iems/headphones to tell.

Either way, due to the nice amp, even if playing through the Qualcomm DAC (all Android media players , outside of the only and pioneer app), the reproduction will still sound better than any smartphone. Just enjoy the great device imo.

In regards to the battery life, I did not see any degradation in battery life (post update), although I removed a ton of apps and forced closed all non used resources. 5hrs on-screen with all 24/192 files and running TiDal Hi-fi offline, with the screen @50%.

I do wish the battery was removable Iike the old ibasso dx90

Thanks for sharing. Are there instructions anywhere on how to make those property changes? I tried the Poweramp beta, but didn't know about that setting. Hope the developer adds native support soon!

Not sure what's going on with my battery. I also disabled/uninstalled all unnecessary apps. It used to have outstanding battery life, and this wasn't that long ago.

The main things eating battery are "Music" (the stock player) and "media".

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,371 of 1,830
If you want to achieve the absolute maximum battery life, you need to:
  1. Set minimum screen brightness
  2. Disable all networking (WiFi and any other incoming/outgoing signals)
  3. Turn off the screen

My ancient 4G iPod touch has terrible battery life compared to when it was new, living approximately 10 hours on standby. However, enabling Airplane Mode--equivalent to bullet no. 2--will allow it to go 24 hours without a charge. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,372 of 1,830
If you want to achieve the absolute maximum battery life, you need to:
  • Set minimum screen brightness
  • Disable all networking (WiFi and any other incoming/outgoing signals)
  • Turn off the screen

My ancient 4G iPod touch has terrible battery life compared to when it was new, living approximately 10 hours on standby. However, enabling Airplane Mode--equivalent to bullet no. 2--will allow it to go 24 hours without a charge. 

Yup. No networking, screen off. Just playing music. It used to go much much longer, but lately... 3.5 hrs.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #1,374 of 1,830
Wow, that's horrendous! Seems like there must be something else going on, maybe something running in the background that you aren't aware of?
I'm still waiting on my XDP-100R to arrive in the mail. 

Yeah, not sure what changed. According to the battery stats screen, it's just music and media using the battery, but I'll dig into whether anything else is running. I did recently get the firmware update, wonder if that messed anything up. I'm curious to hear what battery life others are getting!

Back when I first got it (this summer) I thought it had amazing battery life.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,375 of 1,830
Yeah, not sure what changed. According to the battery stats screen, it's just music and media using the battery, but I'll dig into whether anything else is running. I did recently get the firmware update, wonder if that messed anything up. I'm curious to hear what battery life others are getting!

Back when I first got it (this summer) I thought it had amazing battery life.

its the long way around, but might just want to do factory reset including roll back the update, and  with no music or anything on it re-install the update and then add your stuff back

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,377 of 1,830
A few questions:

A) The device is running two concurrent apps media and music, I don't remember seeing media running on mine
B) While you were listening to music, did you let play continuously or were you stopping, pausing and searching for songs within your storage. I found a higher decrease of battery when working like that. However nothing as severe as yours.

A few items.

The battery performance will vary drastically depending on temperature. For example if you had this device in cold environment <55F and started playing it at 7AM your battery will do what your graph show. The same time at temps over 90F

If you bought new this year the battery would not exhibit this performance unless you have done more than 50 complete discharge cycles. All batteries have a lifetime and is not our "calendar" cycle but is derived from the battery "duty" type and how many times the battery has performed a complete run down up to a certain "cell" voltage.
So in regular use a battery can support a lifetime of X , but if you over exercise it the batter lifetime comes down and also its performance

Just some other elements to consider

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,379 of 1,830
A few questions:

A) The device is running two concurrent apps media and music, I don't remember seeing media running on mine

B) While you were listening to music, did you let play continuously or were you stopping, pausing and searching for songs within your storage. I found a higher decrease of battery when working like that. However nothing as severe as yours.

A few items.

The battery performance will vary drastically depending on temperature. For example if you had this device in cold environment <55F and started playing it at 7AM your battery will do what your graph show. The same time at temps over 90F

If you bought new this year the battery would not exhibit this performance unless you have done more than 50 complete discharge cycles. All batteries have a lifetime and is not our "calendar" cycle but is derived from the battery "duty" type and how many times the battery has performed a complete run down up to a certain "cell" voltage.
So in regular use a battery can support a lifetime of X , but if you over exercise it the batter lifetime comes down and also its performance

Just some other elements to consider

I think media showed up after the recent update. It's not an app in the apps list, it appears to be a service used by music. If I view more details it says included packages are downloads, media storage, download manager.

I pretty much play continuously, with shuffle. I do have a pretty large quantity of music on my sd card.

It is cold lately, but most of my listening is on a warm train and in the office. I usually don't discharge fully, I plug it into the charger overnight.

did you do factory reset? if so then maybe your battery is going south

That's next on my troubleshooting list.

Thanks all for the tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back