Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Mar 10, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #751 of 2,535
  Ah ok, no i didn't have anything like that for it.  My advice is to spend the 50-80 or so on a case for the pioneer from Japan amazon to protect it.  I'm hoping others may weigh in and say whether or not this is typical of manufacturers with respect to warranty.

I do have the Pioneer case and its quite good, it a bit of a pain to take on and off because of the volume wheel but it think it would protect from damage from table top height to solid floor.

I don't think any manufacturer would offer a free repair for accidental damage but a quite a few would repair it at the end users cost.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #752 of 2,535
  I do have the Pioneer case and its quite good, it a bit of a pain to take on and off because of the volume wheel but it think it would protect from damage from table top height to solid floor.

I don't think any manufacturer would offer a free repair for accidental damage but a quite a few would repair it at the end users cost.

Yeah I'm not looking for a free repair.  I mean with Pioneer not even offering repair as an option.  I would be fine paying to fix it.  So now it appears I am on the market for a replacement.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #755 of 2,535
Hi,
I've been a long time lurker and just bought the older 100r and I'm having some trouble copying music files. I can't drag and drop them because the xdap software doesn't see the music folder and using the software takes forever to load the micro sd card. Is there anyone else having trouble with the xdap software?

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #756 of 2,535
Wow, I'm sort of regretting I didn't wait for the x5iii. I've got an x7 but wanted more storage and thought the Pioneer was a good buy for $300. If I knew the software was such a pita to use and their customer service is lacking I probably would've looked for another dap. I don't understand why software has to be so difficult to use.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #757 of 2,535
Hi,
I've been a long time lurker and just bought the older 100r and I'm having some trouble copying music files. I can't drag and drop them because the xdap software doesn't see the music folder and using the software takes forever to load the micro sd card. Is there anyone else having trouble with the xdap software?

​Why not just use Windows (or even Mac I suppose) and drag and drop directly to the onboard memory and attached memory cards? You don't even need the xdap software, which I agree is crap.

Direct drag and drop to the device works flawlessly.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #758 of 2,535

​Why not just use Windows (or even Mac I suppose) and drag and drop directly to the onboard memory and attached memory cards? You don't even need the xdap software, which I agree is crap.

Direct drag and drop to the device works flawlessly.

+1 that's what I do too. I can organise the folders how I want them and then choosing what to play on the unit is simply a matter of navigating the folders.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #761 of 2,535
Read an article I wanted to share for discussion. ...
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Probably not the correct place to discuss this but I noticed the following on the page you linked.

"In fairness to balanced designs, I should point out that a balanced output can deliver 4 times the power for a given power supply voltage. However, this would only be necessary if the product was battery operated. The balanced output would offer no real advantage in an AC powered amplifier."

The XDP-300r is battery powered so if required the extra output power would be one benefit of a balanced output.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #762 of 2,535
  Probably not the correct place to discuss this but I noticed the following on the page you linked.

"In fairness to balanced designs, I should point out that a balanced output can deliver 4 times the power for a given power supply voltage. However, this would only be necessary if the product was battery operated. The balanced output would offer no real advantage in an AC powered amplifier."

The XDP-300r is battery powered so if required the extra output power would be one benefit of a balanced output.

Yes, however I believe that it is at a cost of 4 times more power consumption, so really that great advantage:

"Power consumption will increase by a factor of 4 for a given output level (assuming the power supply voltage rails remain unchanged)."

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #763 of 2,535
well, for more power output- may not be a real convincing reason to have two sets of DAC /AMP setup. Also the article mentions that with more power you get more noise too.
Similarly, there was thoughts that CD quality audio is actually good enough to capture all of the audible frequencies of the recordings......so mqa and other high-def andio too may only be marketing stuff?? Anyone??

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #764 of 2,535
  Cons: There is no Album Artist selection in the current software, so you have to tag all your Various Artists albums as compilation with MP3Tag or so.
Artists overview shows all performing artists from each album, if you have a lot of trance compilation albums on your XDP as well like me this view is unusable.

If anyone would like an Album Artist view, please please please go to Pioneer's site and send them a message via the contact form (the UK form is http://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/uk/content/contact-customer-support) as this has been a problem since the original first gen XDP-100R and Onkyo devices and I've been pleading with them for about a year to do this. Unless they hear it from lots of people, they are not going to do it. Like you, I'm finding the stock app completely unusable because of this.

BTW I've been through many third-party players, the best I've found and have settled on is Gone Mad. It allows you to choose which menus to display and has an Album Artist option, also has a customisable n-line track info display on Now Playing, and it can see the second card slot (most third-party players can't see it). It also has a much clearer and intuitive UI which is easy to use and a facility for creating smart playlists (based on tag criteria). One disadvantage is that it doesn't separate multiple genres, so if you've got a track as being "Ambient;New Age", it will create a Genre called "Ambient New Age" instead of separateing them out like the stock app does. Another is that it doesn't have a Composers menu - the Pioneer stock app does have one and I find it useful (not being a classical person) to hijack for another category that there is not a standard tag for.

Sometimes, the ideal portable digital music player is not only about sound quality, but about usability and how well it organises your music collection and enables it to be browsed, selected and sequenced for playing, and how easy it is to get your collection on there in the first place.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #765 of 2,535
So it appears my XDP -300R has suffered the port movement issue. I noticed very slight play on the 3.5mm port about a month ago and emailed Pioneer who said a small amount was acceptable. However I've just fitted a balanced jack and when I've put it in the 2.5mm port the degree of movement is more than I'm comfortable with. I've also noticed the ports don't sit centred to the casing:

I've emailed Pioneer to see what they suggest. Having purchased this on Amazon.JP and living in the UK do you think this will cause issues? I f'ing hope not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back