Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Feb 26, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #706 of 2,535
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I mainly listen to Alternative / Indie Rock eg The National, Woodkid, The Temper Trap, but old favorites like Dire Straits & Supertramp are listened to most days.

Cheers Alritzn :)

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #707 of 2,535

I mainly listen to Alternative / Indie Rock eg The National, Woodkid, The Temper Trap, but old favorites like Dire Straits & Supertramp are listened to most days.

I've been through quite a few IEM's recently RHA T20, Dunnu DN-2000J, Sennheiser IE80, 1more Triple and Westone um 30 pro and to my ears I like the IT03 the best.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses. As qsk78 said it really depends on what type of sound you prefer, if you can the best way is to try a few different IEM's to narrow down your choices based on your preferences.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #710 of 2,535

Well, this is not Technical death metal, at least, which is critical to speed and accuracy so you have a wider choice in that regard))

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #712 of 2,535
If you don't have a balanced pair of headphones, the two models are basically the same. So basically not a big reason to upgrade. Balanced is AWESOME though.

Some internals have been upgraded, but only super ears with high quality iems will hear the difference.

Also the 300R does NOT have the port protection bars, and does NOT have a speaker.

Screen is the same, software is the same, internal memory size is the same.

Having owned both, if buying now---I would recommend the Onkyo Dp-1XA[\B], or just stick with the 100R.

The onkyo has the upgraded caps, upgraded ports and has 64gb of internal memory, which helps with offline TIDAL storage (less likely to skip when using internal storage). I personally think the only app UI is better than pioneers ( de differ of course)

If you have time, wait for onkyo to upgrade to the es9038 DAC, as I can't imagine they will go too long letting ibasso have the only DAP with the improved ES-DAC

I have time it seems that the $299 price is now permanent for the Pioneer! I do have balanced cables for my cans and  hopefully for the IEMS from Trinity I have coming.

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #714 of 2,535
Read the entire thread and Googled extensively. Still can't find information if the xdp300 resamples all audio tracks?

On the play screen the bottom left shows the input file's sample rate. What does the bottom right frequency mean?

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #715 of 2,535
Read the entire thread and Googled extensively. Still can't find information if the xdp300 resamples all audio tracks?

On the play screen the bottom left shows the input file's sample rate. What does the bottom right frequency mean?

The right hand number is the decoded frequency, for a 44.Khz input file it shows 48Khz so the player is resampling if the display can be believed.

If I play a 96Khz track then its bit perfect, 96/96.

Why did they do this? It could be that the H/W works better when outputting the up-sampled data, or it could be a side effect of using the Android OS.  

It does concern me a little bit that 44.1Khz files are resampled but it sounds very good to me and I'm hoping that a future software update will fix this, although I suspect this is unlikely.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #716 of 2,535
Hi, Steve

I read most of the IT03 thread last night & then ordered them from eGlobal @ £249, which is based in Hong Kong, so will have a week or 2 wait for them to arrive, plan to get the CB 12 cable
when it comes back on sale, thanks for the advice.

I saw on one of your posts that you and I have the same phone the HTC 10, which I've loved listening to, could you quantify the % improvement the 300R & IT03 give over the HTC 10 & their IEMs, hope it is good enough to justify the cash spent :)

I attended the AV show in Bristol last Friday & got a 15% discount on the £600 300Rs, went to buy the AK70 but much preferred the screen and the idea of the twin DACs & mirco SD slots.

Any recommendations on buying H-Res tracks, I have a voucher for Onkyo music, so will start there.

Been using Spotify for over a year and really like it, is it worth moving to Tidal now that I have a better player,

Sorry for all the questions, no rush as I have nothing in my hands just yet, hopefully pick up DAP in Swindon on Wednesday :)

Thanks again, Al

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #717 of 2,535
  Hi, Steve

I read most of the IT03 thread last night & then ordered them from eGlobal @ £249, which is based in Hong Kong, so will have a week or 2 wait for them to arrive, plan to get the CB 12 cable
when it comes back on sale, thanks for the advice.

I saw on one of your posts that you and I have the same phone the HTC 10, which I've loved listening to, could you quantify the % improvement the 300R & IT03 give over the HTC 10 & their IEMs, hope it is good enough to justify the cash spent :)

I attended the AV show in Bristol last Friday & got a 15% discount on the £600 300Rs, went to buy the AK70 but much preferred the screen and the idea of the twin DACs & mirco SD slots.

Any recommendations on buying H-Res tracks, I have a voucher for Onkyo music, so will start there.

Been using Spotify for over a year and really like it, is it worth moving to Tidal now that I have a better player,

Sorry for all the questions, no rush as I have nothing in my hands just yet, hopefully pick up DAP in Swindon on Wednesday :)

Thanks again, Al

Excellent, as I said I don't think you will be disappointed with the IT03.

Your comparison request should really be split into two areas HTC10 vs 300R and IT03 vs HTC10 IEM's. Below is a quick comparison from memory, I will check later and update if I've got it badly wrong:

HTC10 vs 300R - sound is very close, HTC10 is a bit warmer with more bass. For me it came down to 2 uSD slots in in the 300R vs 1 in the HTC10 = more music.
IT03 vs HTC10 IEMs - No contest the IT03 is better in every respect, bass, mids and treble, sound-stage is better too.

I don't really have many Hires tracks I downloaded the MQA demo tracks and also have purchased a single MQA album for reference. I'm not convinced, but that's another topic for another thread. :)

If you are undecided on Tidal, try a trial or try their online test to see if you can hear a difference.

No problem ask any questions you like. :) I've spent quite a bit of money and sold some stuff I really didn't like, so if you find the advice useful and I've saved you some time and money then that's good.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #718 of 2,535
Thanks Steve

I was expecting a big increase in the quality of the 300R over the HTC 10, maybe I should cancel the order and save myself £510, mainly because at this moment In time I only need 1 of the SD slots, and I have also been a bit worried about not hearing any phone calls whilst listening to the 300R :wink:

I have a Sony Walkman NWZ-F886 for a couple of years and stopped using that as I missed some phone calls, but decided as I'm mostly retired (early :) I could live with missing the odd call and that things would have moved on in SQ using a dedicated DAP, oh dear got me thinking!

Excited about the IEMs though :)

You say that you don't have many Hi-Res albums, are you mainly using ripped CD music, Spotify or Tidal for your music.
As I said before I am really happy with Spotify and my ripped to FLAC CDs, just going down the rabbit hole once more looking for the Holy Grail. Expect you know what I mean.

Cheers Al

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #719 of 2,535
  Thanks Steve

I was expecting a big increase in the quality of the 300R over the HTC 10, maybe I should cancel the order and save myself £510, mainly because at this moment In time I only need 1 of the SD slots, and I have also been a bit worried about not hearing any phone calls whilst listening to the 300R :wink:

I have a Sony Walkman NWZ-F886 for a couple of years and stopped using that as I missed some phone calls, but decided as I'm mostly retired (early :) I could live with missing the odd call and that things would have moved on in SQ using a dedicated DAP, oh dear got me thinking!

Excited about the IEMs though :)

You say that you don't have many Hi-Res albums, are you mainly using ripped CD music, Spotify or Tidal for your music.
As I said before I am really happy with Spotify and my ripped to FLAC CDs, just going down the rabbit hole once more looking for the Holy Grail. Expect you know what I mean.

Cheers Al

If you are happy with one SD card for your music storage then maybe it might be worth considering not going for the 300R. Its a difficult choice, one that took me quite a while to decide on.

I don't receive many calls, mainly Texts and Messenger messages so missing a call isn't really a problem for me. Another option would be to consider using the HTC10 with something like a Dragonfly Red and USB Audio Player Pro, that would give you two different sound signatures from the one device as the mood takes you. 

I have quite a few CD's I've ripped and also I use Tidal quite a bit, my Tidal offline stuff is stored in the 300R's internal memory and rotated as required. My collection is just over 256Gb so it doesn't quite fit on one micro SD card in my case hence the requirement for the 300R.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #720 of 2,535
Thank you again Steve,

I am probably ok for the next couple of years with the 200GB card as there is only about 80Gb used of the 183 GB available, mainly filled with ripped CD FLACs, I don't think I would buy too many Hi-Res files, will try the free TIDAL trial, and how that goes.

I have heard about the Dragonfly but never seen one or heard one. I expect I can get a demo at Audio T or Richer sounds with my phone.

I am using Poweramp on the phone, is USB audio player pro similar to this or something completely different?

Cheers Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back