Pioneer Monitor 10R: good closed phone
Jun 23, 2002 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
Got these phones from Audio Cubes last week. They have about 25 hours of burn-in now, and I'm here to say that I think they have a right fine sound. They're playing from a Toshiba DVD player through Meier's Analoguer and HA-1 amp. Nothing fancy, but I'd call the sound rich, full, and immediate; good bass, good highs, and not bright. I like them better than my Beyer DT770, DT831, and Ultrasone HFI-600. They seem easy to drive - only have to turn up the HA-1 about 15% of its range (on the 0 ohm jack). The 10R's do heat up your ears a bit more than the Beyers. They sure look cooler than all the others, though. Got good service from Audio Cubes too; received the phones in less than a week after placing the order.

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 12
I had an audition of these cans the other day. The store was a bit noise and I wasn't 100% whether I quified to give a comment here. Anyway, this is how I feel. These cans are designed primiarly for DJing and to my personal taste the bass was a bit fat and lack of refinement when driven by a SONY top of the line PCDP. And the construction is just not as good as the European cans. I need to worry about the silver paint which looks like will come up in no time.

I wonder why you prefer these Pioneer over your Beyer DT770, DT831? Beyer's build quality should be far more better (from what I read from Head-fi). I have to admit that I had never listened to a pair of Beyer in my life as I just cannot find them here in Hong Kong.

Jun 24, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 12
FYI:

They are impedance of 35 ohms and a sensitivity of 106 dB. That's why they are easy to drive.

Are you sure it isn't the cool look that trick you thinking that they are better than Beyers?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 12
f_pioneer_semonitor10r.jpg

They do look very nice. However, they cost the same as the Beyerdynamic 250DT Anyone has any comparision between the two?

Jun 24, 2002 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 12
Just to answer a couple of questions. I like these 10R's better than the Beyers simply because they sound better to me. That's my principle basis for judging headphones. As acidtripwow noted in another post, they did greatly improve with several hours of burn-in. The Beyers are more comfortable, and better constructed, but I can't see the 10R's falling apart around my ears or some such thing. Also, I don't think I'm biased because of their appearance, since I don't look at myself in a mirror as I listen to them (and no one walking by has tried to rip them off my head). I know I'm a bit of an exception because I prefer closed phones, with bass, without brightness. There aren't a lot of choices out there. I've never heard the Beyer DT250's, so I don't know how these 10R's stack up against them. A person just has to find what he thinks is the best out of the crop. My current choice, for my ears, for most music, is the 10R. They're not very well known at this time, so I wanted to post a few comments to get people thinking...

Jun 24, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 12
You got me thinking. They're quite cool and stylish and they sound good. Hm...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Update:

These have now become my favorite phones. Good-bye for now, Beyers. By using a Behringer GEQ3102 equalizer I've been able to remove the sibilence that showed itself on an occasional recording, without harming the overall sound. Yes, I said the "E" word: Equalizer. I'll probably post a little review of this EQ once I've used it awhile longer.

Aug 17, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

By using a Behringer GEQ3102 equalizer... I'll probably post a little review of this EQ once I've used it awhile longer.

Bump!
Hi dougli, how's that review coming along?
If not, your thoughts on the following would be appreciated:-
- any thump at the outputs when switching the unit on & off
- any hiss/hum problems
- any advantage at all in having a separate slider for each channel or is that just a huge pain.

Thanks for any info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi j-curve,

I wanted to answer your questions, since I don't seem to be getting around to a review as soon as I had hoped.

I've never heard any sound on the line when switching it on and off. I'd go try it again now, but my amp is out being hot-rodded, and won't be back for another week or so. That's when I'll get the actual "review" out.

I have had no hiss/hum problems. The unit had a pass-through switch for each channel. When I activate these switches, the sound returns to what it is without the EQ's effects, and I don't detect any adverse effects on the sound.

For me a separate slider for each channel is nice, but not required. I use the volume control for each channel to balance the overall output, in order to center the sound in my head across the entire frequency range. My hearing just isn't so good that I usually need to also fiddle with specific frequency balance between the channels. But it's not any trouble to work with 2 sliders per frequency. It can be useful. Sometimes one channel is more bass-heavy, for instance, depending on the recording.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Aug 18, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 12
Gack...

I wonder if I can cancel the 250-80's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back