Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jan 18, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #1,336 of 37,715
Here is a lil rig to challenge rudi i think.

iPhone 4 > Bluetooth > MyST PORTADAC 1866 > HiFiMAN RE-400

Using the iPhone as it is a nice platform that also doubles up as my phone and of course has bluetooth. Then the portaDAC as it has a very high standard DAC and amp, much better than the iPhone has and does this via bluetooth so great flexibility. So why only the RE-400. Well i am really enjoying them but i am mainly using them as they are what i am currently reviewing so they make the rig and all in all, a very good one :wink:

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #1,338 of 37,715
Quote:

Using the iPhone as it is a nice platform that also doubles up as my phone and of course has bluetooth. Then the portaDAC as it has a very high standard DAC and amp, much better than the iPhone has and does this via bluetooth so great flexibility. So why only the RE-400. Well i am really enjoying them but i am mainly using them as they are what i am currently reviewing so they make the rig and all in all, a very good one :wink:

Dang this phone/hdisk through bluetooth -> dac ->amp -> headphones solution is finally available!!!

Quote:
1st, this is the picture with the lod

2nd i dont think ypu can use the fiio as a dac by jailbreaking it
iirc only some dac is compatible with apples usb standard
like the clas and the hp1

Time to switch over to android~

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #1,340 of 37,715
Quote:
Dang this phone/hdisk through bluetooth -> dac ->amp -> headphones solution is finally available!!!

Time to switch over to android~

Yes and it sounds amazing, i mean real amazing! Such a piece of art i think! Bluetooth iDevice and DAC with 4 other inputs and a line out!

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,341 of 37,715
There really isn't any 'android specific' dac as the requirement is not fullfilled by the DAC but by the little droid ^^ Such a shame the E17 wouldn't work however (but I sold it 
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Swimsonny now if only it is as slim as the glacier and gets cheaper OR I get some sales starting (junior jack-of-all-tradesman)!!! In my dreams it is actually a Bluetooth receiver that actually outputs the digital signal into USB, and has the size of well a bluetooth receiver i.e. a usb cap. Then one can simply carry his dac/amp around, e.g. the e17 and control volume there while switch songs on your phone.

Or a receiver with a screen, as slim as the new iPod. Then I can carry a hdd in my carry bag and control it wirelessly.

Like a Nano that can receive bluetooth signal and exports digital to a hpp1, except open source ^^

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,343 of 37,715
Quote:

No wires between DAP and amp... Wow! How does it compete with other portable amps you've tried?

My latest iem Sony XBA 40 pair with go dap x LME edition and iPhone 4 
s

Looking fancy, rudi! How do they sound?

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,345 of 37,715
Quote:

I've seen no one ever done it, but I might be wrong. I think it is 'rooting an android and using the E17 as a DAC' rather than on an iDevice.

also
1. I think the E7's been working with work-able android devices e.g. the Samsungs, Nexus 7 etc. E17 apparently draws too much current
2. I could be wrong

I believe that with a jailbreak, a $1 app, and an Apple CCK, the E17 will work.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,346 of 37,715
Quote:

I've seen no one ever done it, but I might be wrong. I think it is 'rooting an android and using the E17 as a DAC' rather than on an iDevice.

also
1. I think the E7's been working with work-able android devices e.g. the Samsungs, Nexus 7 etc. E17 apparently draws too much current
2. I could be wrong

The FiiO E17 USB DAC/amp can interwork with a stock Android-powered Galaxy S3 using the USB Audio Recorder PRO app:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1020#post_8958018

A list of stock Android-powered devices reportedly interworking with standard USB DAC and a list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the stock Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy Note II / S III can be found at the following post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1380#post_9064874

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,347 of 37,715
Quote:
I believe that with a jailbreak, a $1 app, and an Apple CCK, the E17 will work.

Seen the E7 working on an iPad, but not an iPhone or other phones/music players. Would be great if you have some photos to back it up, I'm sure heaps people would be crazy about it!

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,348 of 37,715
Quote:
It's not DAP and amp. It's a DAC and amp. So works like a hp-p1, wireless.

Sound is great but will do comparisons etc later

Ha, no worries man. Thanks for the info. I was actually just marvelling at the lack of wires between the DAP (iPhone) and the amp/DAC, not between the amp and the DAC. That is pretty awesome, I can't believe it's $895 but I might have use for a device like the portaDAC. 

I'm still searching for my perfect portable rig - right now it seems like the beginners' setup below is holding me over, until I source a good amp and DAC (and have the money to splurge on them, too!)...

Cowon Z2 - FiiO E11 - Sennheiser IE80

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,349 of 37,715
Quote:
It's not DAP and amp. It's a DAC and amp. So works like a hp-p1, wireless.

Sound is great but will do comparisons etc later

That's wild stuff - has bluetooth progressed to the point where there's no audible (but perhaps measurable) degradation of the sound quality? Does using bt have much impact on battery life? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back