Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Aug 23, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #13,471 of 37,703
The WS77 was a bassy mess when I had them. How's it sound out if the X1?
really? O.o I find the WS77's bass to be somewhat excessive with things like Fleetwood mac, but for electronic its fantastic. Controlled and punchy... But to each their own I guess. They sound very nice directly out of the X1. Very large soundstage imo for a bassy portable that just gets widened even further by the X1 compared to the sources I own. Add an amp (I'm using the E11) and it gets even more refined... I'm sad I can't keep it! :frowning2: imo, the WS77's bass is more textured and controlled than the UE6000's I also have. UE6000's are definitely better for rock and 70's-80's pop though. Here's 6 pics I took. (the one I posted here was one of them.) overall I think the X1 is a warm sounding DAP with a lot of detail and power. Great balance of musicality and detail. Insane price to performance, and its gonna be a hit with budget audiophiles I'm sure. http://1drv.ms/1lmRY2b

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #13,473 of 37,703
man those pulse elites sure are awesome, I've tried them with an amp but I didn't like it that much, the pulse elites have an internal amp anyway
that's what headphone it is? I was trying to figure out what that was for the longest time. I haven't really liked anything sony has made since like... Early 2012. Hows the pulses?

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #13,474 of 37,703
really? O.o I find the WS77's bass to be somewhat excessive with things like Fleetwood mac, but for electronic its fantastic. Controlled and punchy... But to each their own I guess. They sound very nice directly out of the X1. Very large soundstage imo for a bassy portable that just gets widened even further by the X1 compared to the sources I own. Add an amp (I'm using the E11) and it gets even more refined... I'm sad I can't keep it!
frown.gif
imo, the WS77's bass is more textured and controlled than the UE6000's I also have. UE6000's are definitely better for rock and 70's-80's pop though. Here's 6 pics I took. (the one I posted here was one of them.) overall I think the X1 is a warm sounding DAP with a lot of detail and power. Great balance of musicality and detail. Insane price to performance, and its gonna be a hit with budget audiophiles I'm sure. http://1drv.ms/1lmRY2b

I got mine many years ago when they first came out. I gave them away and never got the opportunity to use them out of a decent player or amp so was wondering if decent sources would sort out their issues. From memory, the bass was decent but ate into the mids too much and they weren't very detailed in comparison to the UE superfi.3s I had at the time

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #13,475 of 37,703
I got mine many years ago when they first came out. I gave them away and never got the opportunity to use them out of a decent player or amp so was wondering if decent sources would sort out their issues. From memory, the bass was decent but ate into the mids too much and they weren't very detailed in comparison to the UE superfi.3s I had at the time
Yeah mids get eaten into... But they get quite a bit better to my ears if you give it a better source and more juice. But again, I use it for electronic music which, mostly doesn't rely heavily on a great midrange. Layering and soundstage is my other favorite thing about them, which just absolutely comes alive on better equipment imo.

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #13,476 of 37,703
man those pulse elites sure are awesome, I've tried them with an amp but I didn't like it that much, the pulse elites have an internal amp anyway

Yes, they are great. I've messed around with them enough to sort of double amp them with the internal and the FiiO E12.
I'm researching a more reference model, but whatever I get I still want it to still carry deep bass.
But for right now this is a really fun and entertaining rig.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #13,477 of 37,703
My friend lent me a Cadence cable with those connectors before as well. Really very huge. I cannot. Haha. 

Doesn't Gavin have the more normal Fitear pins now? 

Gavin has more elegant fiteae connectors but I took mine to another shop for convenience

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #13,478 of 37,703
Theorem 720/iPod Classic 6th Gen/T50rp (modded)/RSA balanced cable

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #13,482 of 37,703
If You leave PVC underneath then it might reduce it littlebit but then OD of cable must fit with paracord ID and You`ll probably have to grease PVC with something to slip it on. Would have put also this paracord over PVC but even using smaller OD Van Damme cable, it couldn`t fit. Plus side of removing PVC is cable weight - new cable is much lighter and I like it. It may have little more microphonics but I don`t walk and move around when listening music. 

Edit2: Tried more tapping/scratching/rubbing from different distances while cable connected to headphones and I don`t know actually, pretty much same. Sometimes feels tinybit less microphonics with paracord but not sure. Anyway, it didn`t go worse and since cable is lighter and nicer - only positive upgrade imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back